lisamarie1000

Need advice for carpet colour on my stairs please - 1930s traditional

lisamarie1000

Hello, we are renovating a 1930s semi.. We want to keep a traditional country feel and therefore keeping original front door (now encompassed by a porch) and original windows aside it... We shall be painting the walls and fitting a new handrail/spindles etc... We shall be keeping the wood floor and fitting new wood floor elsewhere however we want to carpet the stairs and landing. We shall be changing the light fittings (no idea what to yet!!) and Im thinking perhaps a sage front door colour or keeping white? Colours in house will definitely be green and I think perhaps blue chalky 1930s colours... We are thinking white chunky painted spindles with an oak handrail ... I like the idea of tartan carpet but what do you think? In greens or beiges? Depends if we go down the blue route at all? This will be the only carpet in the house so I really want the wow factor... Thankyou

ndows aside

• minnie101

Hi. Given the windows either side I would personally keep the door white and add colour on the walls. Tartan carpets can look great, however, it sounds as if you're going for a 1930s interior with your paint colour choices so why not see if you can find a geometric carpet?

• lisamarie1000

Hi Minnie, thanks once again for your great advice!!! I wanted blue a bit like this and like this in the lounge which is off the hall but everyone ive said the idea too doesn't like it and says it will feel cold - the kitchen will be sage ... So ideal is green or blue in hall, would you do one wall or all? This is the carpet I was looking at

Honor Oak - London · More Info

Richmond, 1930's refurbishment · More Info

1930's House facelift help please

Hey So the latest update is that we're still busy with the project but in the closing stages. We've done a lot of work inside more than originally planned we've gutted the house and replaced everything and changed the floor plan to modernise it and make more of an open plan space downstairs. We've done the rear extension which is now dedicated to kitchen with a central island running parallel with the doors . On the outside the house has had external insulation fitted and new render which makes it look new. I've attached some recent pics. Richard

Need advice for my hall & stairs! Please :)

A vertical column radiator would indeed be a good option, and I like the anthracite idea. Alternatively, if you could find a traditional tall victorian radiator (may not be easy to source) and finish it in a bronze/verdigris, it could work really well with your dark mint and would be a real statement! Your staircase is lovely, and I would go with a contemporary striped runner, white painted sides and a simple rod.

1930s semi living room ideas please!!

Well it's great to have the comments. It's actually taken away my anxiety about the room and I can think clearly now. Sandra your advice about what makes you happy in a room made me smile.. you are right. You also confirmed my thoughts on a cast iron fireplace, it would be too imposing, and I think a wood burner would become a burden after a while as well as being a bit "cottagy," I have thought about a gas stove, a slightly more contemporary looking one in a rendered, painted recess, with a reclaimed surround, or open gas fire? I'd love to see your fireplace Sandra when you get the time to post a photo. Minnie, thank you for the link. The ideas are so good I do like the white fireplace, and the nod to the 1930's is good advice. I think now I will start to enjoy this renovation. I am going to try the tv in another area of the room, although my husband doesn't like them on the wall. It is a good idea on the wall near the alcove though, I need to have a good look at the room with fresh eyes. Love the idea of the curtains and slimline sofas. It's all great advice and Nicola thank you for your offer with information regarding the bay pole from Fabricant. I am based in the South East so I will be very interested when it comes to doing the curtains... which I think will be a long way off yet. I feel I'm getting somewhere now by eliminating the wood burner and the cast iron fireplace. I am so glad I posted on here! I'll be planning and researching this week end. Much appreciated.

1930s renovation - creating a modern retro vibr

Hi, Your room looks massively better stripped back to the original. I've got a black marble hearth that the people who bought my old house didn't want. If you're near Canterbury you're welcome to it. I'm going to South Manchester soon so cold possibly drop it off if you're en route. I'll see if I can get a photo later.
  • minnie101

Hi, I didn't notice it w

as you! I love the carpets and paint colours but I do think it depends on the light in each room, quantity and accessories etc. The lounge colour will look great and not cold when combined with purple and sage as they have in this pic. I really love the Richmond colour but I think I would go for a feature wall of it and other than where the radiator is (and then you're just highlighting the radiator) I don't see where it would go. If you go for the green carpet maybe have a look at little Greene Ivory which should work with your kitchen too. The only thing I would say is their colours seem to differ a lot on screen ( or on an iPad anyway!). LG also have a beautiful bone china blue colour (1930s reproduction) as pictured which also comes in a pale version.

lisamarie1000 thanked minnie101
  • lisamarie1000

ok, soooo how about the green and beige carpet on stairs, keep woodwork white - sage in kitchen and blue in lounge which will tie in with the sage and purple cushions so it all ties green and blue so just colour on walls in hall ... I want to get a hall / console table and im thinking bottom of the stairs wall and not sure what light fitting?

• lisamarie1000

the carpet is metropol by jhs in khaki - although its not a khaki in my opinion... The room is not actually that dark that picture was taken in the evening in March so not a great picture... we are putting new engineered wood oak floor in the lounge and dining room which is just off the hall so we have decided we will replace the laminate wood that is currently in the hall so it all matches and runs through. im going for a traditional/country style with hints and aspects of 1930s if that makes sense as house has lots of original features... I was thinking maybe some geometric wall paper elsewhere or even just prints of walls in frames... Definitely going for the downpipe farrow and ball - or maybe matching this colour or seeing if craig and rose do a similar colour on the chimney brest and facing wall like in the above picture in the lounge and sage in the kitchen and dining room ...

• minnie101

Hi Lisa. Sorry I meant the "khaki" carpet room was dark, not yours! I've had a look at other pics of it though and do think it will be a little dark, just in my honest opinion. Do you not like any of the other tartan carpets that are around or are you really set on this? Do go for it though if you love it! I'm just thinking as well there will be quite a lot of sage so maybe go for a different carpet and introduce different shade of blue/green? The wood floor will be great. Geometric wallpaper also sounds great, maybe a feature wall/s in the dining room to go with the sage paint? Why don't you look at some of the trellis/quatrefoils/moroccan tiles ones set on an ivory background? Thibault do some as do F&B. (I don't know if the trellis ones were actually used in the 30s but they're geometric!!) Is the Honor Oak room downpipe??

• lisamarie1000

Thanks, as we will be having tiles and wood everywhere else the stairs and landing will be the only carpet in the house so I thought the tartan would stand out as really different... I did like the idea of the striped one but we couldn't make it work well as out stairs turn left and right at the top and then have two more steps on the left and go back on themselves on the landing as such so stripes just didn't work hence why we went onto tartan also my husband knows the owner of a carpet company so we can get a good deal and he recommended the jls metropol for tartan and I didn't think any of the other colours go - there doesn't seem to be much green tartan anywhere really! (maybe that's telling me something!) if I go for this green tartan on stairs and landing there will be no other green or sage on walls - just painted a light colour. feature wall in dining room is a must - haven't got that far in my head yet?! yes honor oak lounge picture is f&b downpipe

• minnie101

I love the idea of tartan. There is loads of it around at the moment, including lots of green. Every lighter green check seems to lead me to a blog spot though! It's difficult without knowing which brands are stocked by your husbands friend. I would suggest asking for a sample or ideally a remnant and then you can see what you think. It is a commercial brand so will definitely be hard wearing! This carpet packs a statement too! I thought I'd upload it thinking of you with blues, greens and geometrics!

Anonymous
    Hi
    Just thought I would add this to the mix. We worked on a similar house who wanted to retain the '30s feel but wanted a lighter airier look.
    Colours are Dulux natural taupe and the carpet is Ulster carpets. I believe it's Baumont Osprey.

If you do go for a plaid make sure you have an experienced fitter :-)
    Anonymous

Hope this helps a bit!

• minnie101

The brindle version of Judith's suggestion also looks good if you want more a little green

• lazyletters

I love the tartan carpet. If I could count the number of times everyone in my family has said 'oh it'll look weird, etc. If you like it, and you have a colour pallet that goes with it, go for it. Tartan hasn't gone out of style yet. I love the bright tartan you selected but not so much the beige version. If you want a wow factor you really need something with impact and there are enough lighter tones in a tartan to paint the walls with to stop it getting overwhelming.

Pat Oliver Interior Design

The hallway is an area of transition, so you can be bold with colours and pattern. If you decide to have a patterned carpet, a plaid will always be trendy. Milliken Carpets and Brintons both do plaid carpets in a number of different colour combinations. Look to the stained glass in your door for colours. Alternatively, go bold on the walls in a rich blue colour with some yellow orange from companies like Cole and Sons. If you go bold on the walls, keep the carpet plain and neutral. Rely instead on a texture for the carpet.

• nina_moonlight
    Hi Minnie, I love the geometric navy carpet you have posted a photo of above (against the green wall). Do you know where this carpet is from? I've been looking everywhere for a geometric navy carpet or stair runner. Many thanks, Nina
  • caiena
    Stripes would look great!
  • lisamarie1000
    Thanks everyone for your help... I still can't decide - green tartan/plaid and light walls or I do like that geometric one Minnie put up - either way we will have oak floor in hall, reception rooms and bedrooms and it's just the stairs and landing that will be carpeted... Good point to look to stained glass windows for colours and so far that luckily is colours which I have been planning... I would have loved a stripe but at top of stairs the stairs turn left and right and a bit of a landing on the right going forward then on the left go up three more steps and then the top turn and landing goes back on itself so stripe just wouldn't work as stripe would all be going different ways next to each other
  • Owen Richards
    This colour really contrasts with the wood and matting. Try and match the colour scheme of the room. We've colour matched with a different thickness carpet
  • lisamarie1000
    Also will be replacing light fittings in hall and landing - and advice?
  • lisamarie1000
    Thanks colour scheme of downstairs is chalky dark blue and sage/olive/greens - dark blue in lounge will be downpipe f&b and kitchen and dining room will both be sage/greens
  • lisamarie1000
    We are renovating whole house replacing flooring throughout - re plastering, opening chimneys, knocking walls down, extending kitchen and converting garage so it's kind of a clean slate to start with
  • minnie101

Hi Nina. That is the Ellipse by stark carpets. I've come across it a few times but have failed to find the price so far

• nina_moonlight
    Thank you Minnie for the carpet info. I've been looking for navy geometric stair carpet for a long time - it's all really expensive so I will check this one out.
  • minnie101

You're welcome. I hope this one is affordable

• lisamarie1000
    Oh no! Back to the drawing board with my carpet - came back ridiculously expensive!!!! It was thousands of pounds just for the stairs!!! So you can see the pics of my hall - hall floor will be oak - colours in house will be sage,oak,dark/chalky blue - with a traditional / country feel want tartan on stairs but can't seem to find the right colour anywhere... Thoughts please...
  • minnie101

Oh no!! What do you want to pay max per metre?

• lisamarie1000
    Really like the brintons Ruskin butterly it's not cheap at £89.99 a sq meter but it's very pretty BUT I'm not sure how it will work on stairs? Also like brintons fudge stripe and padstow ... We are now definitely having oak parquet floor in the hall and new spindles/bannister etc will be white with oak handrail and oak postcaps ... Colours in lounge and dining room off this hall will be chalky period dark blue and sage. Want a traditional country look... Any advice on whether Ruskin butterly would work or the other ones? Thanks
  • minnie101

You can get that carpet for £66.95 from the carpet outlet place I posted previously. Here's a pic of it in the dark grey on stairs

lisamarie1000 thanked minnie101
  • mrsmcee74
    Hello I'm ordering a new stairs carpet today. I've got champagne tastes but beer budget. I've got many of the same colours in my house you mention: greens, blues, greys, browns and wanted to bring them all together. Have settled on a smart stripe by Manx Carpets. Apparently the designer there used to work for Crucial Trading so they do a few that sort of style for half the price. I've settled on Manx Carpets coastline in Punch and Judy colour way. It comes in around £30 a square meter and is heavy domestic so will be hard wearing. http://www.manxcarpets.co.uk/product/coastline/
  • mrsmcee74
    I love the Brintons stuff but way over my budget unfortunately.
  • lisamarie1000
    Hi , I really like your carpet and I'm sure it will look great on your stairs - the only problem with mine is its stairs, a half landing, more stairs one way and a bit of a landing the other and then at top of two other stairs a bigger landing going the opposite way so for part of it we have to go against the pile and we were told by carpet right that a pile like yours would not work on our area unless we wanted stripes going all different ways and if we wanted stripes to flow all along then we had to go for a carpet which could be laid and walked on against the pile ... Therefore apparently a pile like that will not work - I love it though!!!!!!! Please post a pic once in !
  • lisamarie1000
    At 89.99 a square meter it's over our budget too... I think I will get it down though by shopping around but as much as I love the butterfly I'm not sure it will work well on the stairs... This will be the only carpet in the whole house and the first thing you see as you walk in so I really want it to be a statement and have a 'wow' factor... We are also going country feel with antler/tartan aspects (that sounds awful but it isn't lol!)
  • milfordmaid
    Whichever colour/pattern you choose (sage base wld be my preference), don't get fully fitted. Put down a stair-runner with lovely brass stair rods or clips, + paint the exposed wood stair tread + riser in brilliant white.
    Though this might not be the most suitable if there are small children in the home or anyone with mobility issues.
    lisamarie1000 thanked milfordmaid
  • lisamarie1000

I really wanted a stair runner and thought it would look beautiful but unfortunately this is not possible for us as we have a 1 year old, 3 year old and 5 year old. I agree 100% though.

• lisamarie1000

well minnies pic does work, thanks Minnie I was worried it wouldn't on the stairs... price is much better than carpet right I just need to work out how much we would need but then would also need grippers, underlay etc oh and a fitter!!!! I wonder if carpet right would price match and apparently John Lewis is an authorised stockist so perhaps they will price match? Ive never dealt with them in their carpet section so no experience... Definitly narrowed it down to these three ..

• lisamarie1000

hi all, update is I have finally found a photo of someones stairs done in Brintons timorous beastie yellow Ruskin butterfly and its made me decide we are definitely 100% going for this as I love it (see attached pics) on stairs and landing... Floor in hall will be oak herringbone parquet, just wall colour to decide and we have bought new tall skirting so colour to paint this also? i have attcahed apic of the hall currently so you can see our front door with stain glass.. As Ive mentioned before the banister and spindles will be replaces with square spindles with an oak top banister and oak end cap - similar to this houzz pic ... So just to deicide on wall colour and new skirting colour... I really like f&b light blue in a hall with oak parquet but I don't feel this will go with the carpet... Kitchen and dining room will be one of the sage shades and lounge Wimborne white and downpipe...

• minnie101

I would probably go grey rather than go for greens as you also have the warmth of the oak so personally would have a contrast.

lisamarie1000 thanked minnie101
    Diana Arnold Design

Hi yes if you're painting the door a sage green you could also pick up that colour in the carpet, which could be patterned, tartan as you mentioned sounds interesting and it will bring in other colours, which will add interest. We also have a thirties house and I think you're absolutely right to keep as many of the original features as poss, it helps keep the character, although you can add modern elements. Its great to have a readonably sized entrance hall, adding a large mirror on one side will help to create an impression of a wider space and bounce light around, to make it seem more open. Hope this helps.

• lisamarie1000
    Bad news is I can't have the butterfly carpet :-( turns out our stairs and the way they turn to get the butterly running up we would have to buy LOaDS of it and scrap loads of it ... Quote came in over £3000!!!! Gutted! So in a panic/rush I've gone for a stripe but a natural coloured one - this is it - thought it would match well with oak in bedrooms and what will be herringbone parquet in hall... Still thinking white spindles and oak rail and caps but not 100% sure - like idea of glass between. But think it may look too modern... ?
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Lisamarie,

I made suggestions on your other post.. but have you considered natural flooring like Coir or Jute? They are lovely for stair runners, which is what I would suggest.. : ))

First Floors

We often sell natural fibre carpet for stairs - and the Alternative Flooring range is really popular. If you did go for a natural floor covering you could get this edged in a border to match your decor which can look stunning. You can also choose something from the Quirky B collection which has proved v popular.

• Charlotte

Your house the same as ours! I also live in a traditional 1930s semi. We've got carpet in the upstairs hallway and down the stairs but wood downstairs as that's what it was like when we moved in.

• Sarah Wickstrom
    last year

Hi Lisa! What was the final result of your carpet color for your stairs? It would be great to see what you went with :)