g111y

Flat Roof Balcony Fiasco

Gillian
8 years ago

Hi everyone! I could use some advice. We bought a house with an unfinished flat roof area over two rooms of our house that was intended to be a balcony. When we bought it, it was leaking and was comprised of: (1) wooden and steel joists with insulation, (2) boards, (3) a layer of concrete, and (4) a broken layer of liquid rubber. We originally scraped off the liquid rubber, increased the incline of the roof by adding more concrete at the rear, and hired a professional to install a GRP roof over the top. The plan was to install a new roof and tile over the top with a large format white stone or porcelain tile.

Unfortunately the 'professional' GRP installation was a complete failure. After 2 years and many patch repairs, we are left with an unusable roof balcony area that still leaks. Every builder that comes to quote seems to have a preferred roofing solution, but none of them are comfortable with the idea of tiling on top and I am not convinced it will work for us.

My question is, when we strip back down to the concrete (a sound idea given that the chipboard used in the GRP installation is now sagging), what type of roof covering would you guys suggest for a high traffic roof that would be tiled over? I'm initially leaning towards asphalt or some kind of heavy liquid waterproof covering, as we would be able to dry pave with large white tiles with no additional layer of sand needed that could get washed into the drain. I'm suspicious of rubber as an option because of its tendency to tear and the fact that we won't be able to adhere anything to it.

Your thoughts are welcome - Thanks everyone!

Large format white tiles like we were hoping to have

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.