aniawin

Epoxy grout haze on frosted wall tile.

aniawin
8 years ago

I am going to cry in about two seconds. We have matte/frosted light seafoam-ish colored glass subway tile on the bathroom walls. We used a lightly glittered epoxy grout at the urging of our designer. There is still a haze and what looks like water streak marks or haze remover streak marks down all the tile. I have tried more haze remover, soap and water with a good non-abrasive sponge and alcohol. Nothing is removing these marks ALL OVER the tile on ALL the walls. I am ready to rip it our and redo it but DH will KILL me. But I cannot get it clean and I HATE it... all this money spent and I just want to CRY. Any ideas? Can frosted glass tile be sealed or polished after install?? On top of the streaks and haze, I don't even like how it looks!! :(

Comments (51)

• aniawin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pro tile guys.... they did two bathrooms. One has glossy glass tile and the same grout. Looks perfect. This one - not even close. If I didn't think DH would kill me, I would demo it right now,

• apple_pie_order
    8 years ago

Call the pro tile guys back again. Point out how perfect one bathroom is. Ask them to fix the other one.

• Related Discussions

White or Smokey grey grout?

Q

Comments (14)
    White grout, unless you use an epoxy grout, will discolour more readily and necessitate frequent cleaning to keep it looking sharp. Grey all the way unless you can be bothered with epoxy.
    ...See More

Tiles to clad exterior feature.

Q

Comments (7)
    sorry for the late reply, they are porcelain split faced tiles, they can be used outside with the correct adhesive and grout, we have a very good local tile shop and they advised him. https://www.porcelainsuperstore.co.uk/blog/can-i-use-porcelain-tiles-outside/
    ...See More

White Herringbone Tiles in Bathroom

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi. Sorry I thought you were going for the gold grout in the photo :) I personally prefer the white grout in the first 2 pics but I think the light grey also works. If you wanted white grout have you looked at epoxy resin grout? We removed inherited tiles that were over 20 years old in our kitchen and the grout was spotless so I assume that's what they used. great that you can lay the tiles yourself, does that include the herringbone? Why not get a sample to see how the white compares to the encaustic as presumably that will be an off white? The brass sounds lovely and I agree with Rinq if you can add some wood as teal and white can be a cold combination but looks lovely in the 2nd pic
    ...See More

Blank Canvas and need ideas for Kitchen/Living/Dining

Q

Comments (64)
    final photos of flooring. pretty happy with it. Karndean Korlok Texas White Ash in case anyone was googling for an example of this. I found it hard to find people who had used this product. hybrid vinyl that clicks and lays over existing tiles or hard floor
    ...See More
  • aniawin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Normally I would.... but our situation is a little more complicated than that and that is not an option so I need to figure it out solo....

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 years ago

Go to a specialty tile store - the one that has the best reputation in your town. Show them pictures and have the names of all of the products that were used. Ask them what, if anything can be done. Another option may be to call the manufacturer of the tile and the grout and ask them what options they might recommend.

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    8 years ago

I am having the exact same problem. I have black frosted tile (also with epoxy grout) and am also miserable. Did you ever find a solution?

• aniawin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sadly, no. A company quoted us $3k to clean it! Our bathroom is tiny! I HATE this tile and dream of ripping it out daily.

• Kivi
    8 years ago
    You are going to need something more aggressive than a sponge. Get yourself a white nylon type scrubbing pad. Are you using a haze remover for epoxy grout? I would also check to make sure it is safe to use on glass. Regular Soap and water or alcohol will not make a dent in the epoxy. Follow the instructions on the haze remover, and it will likely require careful and firm scrubbing on the tile surface. You could also try scrubbing a small area using dishwasher detergent and see if you get improvement. I suspect the matte finish on the glass tile is making it tougher but try in small areas and it will take some elbow grease.
  • _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

One epoxy cures, it just ain't gonna come off without diamond grinding that ruins the tiles. Save your breath and effort. It ain't your traditional cementitious grout. Even that is a bear with frosted glass. Frosted glass is a big PIA to clean in a shower, and should be strongly discouraged except as a decorative band, up high.

• aniawin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

kivi, we tried it all.

• Kivi
    8 years ago
    No doubt frustrating if nothing has worked. While I agree with Sophie that diamond polishing may ruin typical glass tile, you may have some chance of success because yours is frosted glass. If I was in your shoes I would order a set of diamond hand polishing pads and see how it goes. What have you got to lose since your next step sounds like you want to rip it out. $75 or so for pads to see if it works and some effort. Do it with care, lots of water, and try to ensure you are working consistently across all the glass to maintain an even look. Read up on how to use the pads before you start.
  • ibseyb
    8 years ago

This may not be completely relevant as I don't have experience with commercial epoxy grouts, but I do ceramics and glass restoration for a living, and we normally fill losses and break edges with clear epoxy bulked with fumed silica and colored with pigments to match the object. We spread it on as smooth as possible, but some always gets on the object, just a fact of life. When it's cured, we polish it up so that the epoxy isn't covering even a mm of the original surface--so that's pretty similar to what you want to do. We use micro mesh sheets, which is basically the same stuff as is on a nail buffing stick.

http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-MESH-SANDING-SHEETS-INTRODUCTORY/dp/B000H6HIK2

Be a little tentative with the lowest grades in this package (which I've seen scratch some soft ceramic glazes if you're not careful, but with modern glass you should be fine), but if your grout is a similar hardness to what I use, you should be able to take of a haze with even the 4000 grit. And unlike a diamond pad, you couldn't scratch glass with that even if you got the Hulk to do it for you. It will take a little elbow grease, but it will be a lot safer.

aniawin thanked ibseyb
  • aniawin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@kivi Thank you! I will order then rig hr now and keep everyone posted. Thanks. P.S. the same grout was NO problem in the other bathroom which has traditional, shiny glass tiles.

• PRO
    Debi
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@aniawin, any luck? I had the tile rep out yesterday and he tried using Bar Keepers Friend with a non-scratching pad. He said that it worked on the small area that he polished. My tile installer is going to try the rest of the shower. I will let you know my results. Also, the grout in this same bathroom has faded from the dark grey/almost black to light grey/almost white in certain sections (and we have still never turned the water on!). Besides the haze problem, did you also have the epoxy grout changing color problem? (FYI-I am Debra Millman above; I have a new professional Houzz site as well.)

• PRO
    Logistics, inc
    7 years ago

I work a lot with tiles, Glass, Stone, Ceramic, and Porcelain. You may have to use a stronger brush. I suggest a Green sponge. If it is truly glass its shouldn't scratch it. Use a bit of water and keep the sponge damp. Then scrub the glass until you no longer notice the streak. If there is metal accents like copper or brass or even aluminum which I have seen in tile work before. I would be careful with using the brush against these materials. Glass should be a problem. If you can post a picture so I can see exactly what the stain looks like.

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Debra Millman/SkyBlue... we have tried everything! But I will try Barkeeper's friend in a minute since we have it in the house. We were able to remove any remaining haze from the regular glass tiles with a magic eraser. But the matte/frosted ones are NIGHTMARE. The only reason I have not ripped that bathroom out yet and redone it is the mess! And, yes, the epoxy seems to have darkened in color?

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@greyfox - We have tried white sponges, green sponges, caustic chemicals,,,, you name it. Matte glass tile and epoxy do not mix. I could strangle Artistic Tile in NYC for suggesting this combo! Shame on them.

• PRO
    Debi
    7 years ago

Dear aniawin,

While researching for my own horrific experience of mixing matte glass tile and epoxy grout (tile is Lunada), I found this video that recommends this product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MN6Hwp11U4http://www.leggesystems.com/m7/K9041--texspar-plus-cleaner-for-tile-grout.html. If the Bar Keeper does not work, this is my plan J (plan A thru I have not worked).

Regards,

Debi

• PRO
    Debi
    7 years ago

Greyfox, thanks for the interest. I will send photos soon.

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    7 years ago

Dear aniawin,

We used the Bar Keeper and it kinda worked. In the meantime, I have found this on the installation and maintenance guide from Laticrete (the brand that we used).

• For LATICRETE® SpectraLOCK® PRO Grout haze that is older than 48 hours try either of the following procedures;

1. Use 1/4 cup (0.059 Liters) electric dishwasher detergent (e.g. Cascade, Electrosol, etc...). per 3.5 gallons (13.2 Liters)
    pail of water. Liberally apply the dishwasher detergent / water solution to the surface with a mop. Then broadcast silica
    sand or LATICRETE SpectraLOCK Grout powder over the floor. Use a buffing machine with a white scrub pad and make
    several passes over the floor. Next, vacuum up the solution and sand with a wet vac. Rinse well with clean water. Repeat
    process as required. Do a test area to confirm results.

2. Contact any of the following manufacturer’s for their product recommendation for removing epoxy grout haze;
    • The Miracle Company - 1-800-350-1901
    • StoneTech Professionals– 1-888-786-6343
    • Walter Legge Company – 1-800-345-3443

Mask off the work area to protect adjacent finished surfaces.

Regards,

Debi

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you @ SkyBlue. The tile is floor to ceiling so before I do all THAT Work listed. I will rip out the tile and replace with a non-frosted tile. Plus, it has been over a year. A pro gave us a $3,000 quote to clean it. I laughed all the way to the wine rack....

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    7 years ago

Dear aniawin,

I am laughing at your comment. I can relate; mine is floor to ceiling also (and pricey tile as well!). And, as a result of all my investigative speaking with tile/grout professionals, besides the haze problem, I have found out that the mortar used in my bathroom was the wrong color. FYI-so that the color of your tile is preserved, your mortar needs to match the glass tile (frosted or non-frosted). My tile is black and the mortar used was white! I may be starting over too, with a simpler, easier to install tile. Good luck!

Regards,

Debi

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@skyblu... I agree with your thinking 100%... I will buy less expensive tile... Home Depot actually has come a LONG way with simple selections... and use regular grout. This was such a heart breaking waste of money. I would redo it right now but I can't stomach the mess... since we are doing finishing touches on the rest of the house and so near the "AHHHH... we are done!" stage. I cannot get over Artistic Tile even recommending matte tile with epoxy. It kills me!! Thank you for all your advice :)

• nonna36
    7 years ago
    We had the same haze problem in our shower. Porcelain tile. Finally called the tiler and he tried 3 different solutions before he got the haze off. Looks great now.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

Your "pro" installers should have known not to use an epoxy grout with glass, that's a BIG no no. Main reason is that epoxy grouts have sand in them. The sand will etch/scratch your glass upon installation. Use only non sanded grouts when installing shinny, glossy glass. The only time you can use epoxy or sanded grout with glass is when the glass is rated for floor use or has a matte/frosted finish.
    As far as your haze problem, I would call the companies phone number on the back of the grout container. They will be the best ones to contact on how to remove the haze properly and effectively.

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Cinar.... the epoxy grout is fine in the bathroom with the glossy glass tile. Looks great. The haze problem is in the bathroom with the matte/frosted glass tile.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

The haze is from not properly cleaning during install. Your best bet would be to call the manufacturer of the grout and ask what they recommend. If they have an 800 number it's usually located on the lower right corner of all the information listed on the back of the bag/bucket.

aniawin thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • Cindi
    7 years ago

i sooooo feel your pain. but i think your pain and all the answers and suggestions might have just solved my problem. I just remodeled my kitchen, and thought that this beautiful mosaic would look great behind my stove. It's all shades of honey, some stone, some glass and some frosted. Sounds great! well, needless to say that was the most obnoxious stuff to cut and install ever! Then the real problem got started. Grouted it, like have been doing for years. No problem, wiping, checking for holes, wiping, stepping back and looking, wiping again. Noticing i am wiping too much and not letting it sit long enough, and can't figure out why the frosted ones are turning a weird color. THE HAZE!! So i continue to wipe, using the tip of my finger, going to get this off before it sets up. Well, the only thing going to take off that haze now is a jack hammer. To date since this fiasco was installed by me, i have read about 500 articles about how to remove it.

Home depot says buy haze remover. DID NOT WORK

read another article, this sounds hokey. Stick paper towels to the spot for about an hour, then stick the haze remover to the wall the same way. He said he heard it sizzle.

My thought was "I want what ever this guy has" Well i tried it tonight. I actually heard the sizzle. I know weird. I was so excited, this is going to work.......ummm no, only in internet land.

Then i read something on this feed about bar keeps friend. So i thought, what the heck, going to buy new tile this weekend anyhow.

Not thinking, i started scrubbing in the spot where i had put the haze remover that did nothing earlier.

OMG!! it worked. I may be scrubbing till my arms fall off, but it worked!!!!

What seemed to work

Wet paper towels stuck to tile= 1 hour

Wet home depot haze remover stuck to tiles via new paper towels= 20 min

scrubbing and a few cus works

Bar keepers friend and a green scrubby from the dollar store, and some elbow grease======happy dance!

I have a tiny bit of water and a lot of barkeepers friend right next to the stove, that will be my walk by and do one a time till it's done job :)

If i can figure out how to attach a picture i will.

Sorry this is so long, but good luck and i hope this science experiment you helped me with helps you also

aniawin thanked Cindi
  • PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    7 years ago
    acetone*
  • aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Custom Stoneworks OMG yes and EXACTLY!!!! UGH. We have decided that we are going to rip out all the tile and just redo the bathroom with either regular glass or ceramic tile. In our bathroom it is FLOOR TO CEILING and has to go. I could kill Artistic Tile in NYC for making the recommendation. Thank you for posting that picture. I cannot tell from your post... were you able to remove the haze?

• aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And I so happy that Bar Keepers Friend worked for you Cinar! But mine is floor to ceiling on all 4 walls. An almost impossible task...

• PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    7 years ago
    We did eventually get it off, but unfortunately it took longer than it would have to rip out and re install the glass. Acetone and a ton of scrubbing. The acetone would melt it down and we had to constantly change rags because it would re apply itself once the rags got "gummy" leaving more streaks everywhere. MAJOR pain in the butt!
  • aniawin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Holy moly. It should be criminal for anyone to ever recommend epoxy with frosted/matte tile. On top of the haze, we hate the way the grout color looks with the tile so we are just going to rip it out.... which will be about as much fun as your scrubbing. Glad it worked out, though! And thank you so much for the update and photo. :)

• Susan
    5 years ago

This thread is over a year old but I'll try anyway. The discussion has concentrated on frosted tiles. Does anyone know how to remove epoxy grout haze from large polished shiny glass subway tiles?

• aniawin
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@susan I was successful with a magic eraser.... and, actually, the no name version of Magic Eraser purchased through Amazon. A wee bit of water and scrub, scrub a little at a time.

• Susan
    5 years ago

This won't scratch the glass?

• Susan
    5 years ago

Laticrete, the manufacturer of the epoxy grout used with my tiles, says that Stonetech epoxy grout haze remover will remove the haze without scratching the glass. The product information online states that it should be used on stone and masonry only, but I just spoke to their technical assistant and he says that they have tested it on glass and it will not scratch the glass.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

The cleaner wont scratch the glass. It's the sand in the grout you have to be careful with, THAT will scratch the glass. Matte finished glass products hide scratches better than a shiny or polished surface.

• Susan
    5 years ago

IT WORKED! Latricrete's Stonetech Epoxy Haze and Coating Stripper removed the epoxy haze from my glass tiles. My tiles are large, polished, shiny tiles which would easily have shown scratches, but they are not scratched. The tiles look great!

• PRO
    LATICRETE International, Inc.
    5 years ago

Glad to hear Susan!

• PRO
    Custom Stoneworks Inc.
    5 years ago
    awesome, frosted glass is a whole different story
  • Jess A
    3 years ago

We have a kitchen backsplash that has both glossy and frosted navy blue subway tiles....and it was recommended to use epoxy grout 😤....streaks everywhere! I bought ammonia cleaner and it worked like a charm on the shiny glass but not the frosted, will try acetone on the frosted tomorrow, oh I hope it works!! I love this backsplash and removing isn’t an option right now...so glad I found this thread!

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    3 years ago

Besides the price (triple), what is the difference between using "Laticrete Stonetech Epoxy Haze and Coating Stripper" and "Laticrete Stonetech Grout Haze Remover" for removing the epoxy grout haze on frosted tiles?

• aniawin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jess A, I wish you much luck. We were not able to get the haze off. We have not ripped the bathroom out yet because it is such a mess and inconvenience. But with COVID-19 still being with us and no vacations in sight... we are going to do it before the end of the year. Let us know if you find something that works on the matte tile. (I will never do matte tile or epoxy grout ever. Not separately and not together!)

• Sarah Kirby
    2 years ago

Finding this thread now...our contractor just finished and our frosted glass mosaic tile has sanded grout that will not come off. 😢They told us they tried everything they could think of to no avail...I’m so disappointed in how it looks. From reading this thread, I will try bar keepers friend tomorrow and possibly a stone and epoxy stripper although it was not an epoxy grout—just a sanded grout. The mosaic is Elysian onix stone blend loft XL glass tile and the grout was Prism ultimate performance cement grout. Any further tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

• aniawin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Best of luck! But shouldn't your contractor know not to use this combo? Or at least try to remove it? Have they not used these products before?

• Sarah Kirby
    2 years ago

I’m not sure if they have used frosted tile before. We got all of our tile and grout from Daltile who helped us pick it all out...this is our first home and first time using tile. I guess we were naive to trust them. The haze has now been on for about 3 weeks.

• aniawin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sigh... we got all our tile from Artistic Tile... right up the block from Daltile where we live in NYC. I wish you all the best. We have yet to rip out our bathroom but we are definitely going to have to.

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    2 years ago

I also was never successful in removing the haze. I did not rip it out, and everyday when I look at it, I sigh a sad sigh. I also will never do matte/frosted tile or epoxy grout ever; not separately and not together!

• aniawin
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would have ripped it out a long time ago... I just have not had the desire to deal with the mess...I keep saying "next year" five years later. SO disappointing.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.