susienew

What kind of sink!!!

susienew
8 years ago
Help! I am having a traditional style bathroom with a roll top bath, posh high level loo, floorboards in the main room with the bath and sink and then a step up into a tiled area with loo and shower. I can't decide on the sink though. It will be set on top of the attached console table. My latest idea is either a Belfast or trough style white sink but there really isn't a whole lot that's doing it for me on the net. I've attached pics of the tiling for the shower area (part-wall removal to make L shaped room where the loo and shower will be), the bath and loo. Any ideas anyone?

Comments (31)

• mattiefan
    8 years ago

how about a simple modern circle sink set on top - it will be difficult to find something traditional for that style - and the contrast between modern and traditional could work well? Or change the console table for a traditional sink & pedestal. I bought an old sink and pedestal for £25 from a scrap yard and built a traditional bathroom around that - much to the plumbers amusement! good luck!

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello, thanks for the suggestions. I did think about getting a pedestal sink but I really want some flat surfaces for soap and a couple of other bits. In my last place I had that style and I could never find anywhere to balance my make up!! I have ruled out round bowls because something rectangular will look better to me. I really like the Moroccan highly decorated bowls but they are all circular. Back to the drawing board!!
  • Related Discussions

What do you use your sink for?

Q

Comments (2)
    nothing unusual that I can think of, or maybe there is something I just don't regard it as odd...
    ...See More

What kind of rug?

Q

Comments (19)
    I know you are saying you want something with green but have you thought of a blue rug? A deep blue with not much pattern to tie everything together and bring some groundless to your space. At the moment everything is grey, pale or pastel colours with pattern or solid surfaces and the space needs an element of groundless to bring all elements together. The colour blue is the number one colour that is easiest to perceive by the human eye, therefore it will never feel heavy or overwhelming for you to look at. It will also provide a nice complimentary composition for all your other accent colours. I wouldn't use green as the wrong green can be very harsh to the eyes. Green and grey are also two colours that are currently trendy but will be out of style soon, when the trend is over.
    ...See More

Glass shower screen next to vanity- what kind of join do you have?

Q

Comments (2)
    The easiest solution if you have the space available is to leave a gap of about 25mm / 1 inch or more between the glass and the side of the vanity unit so that you can clean in the gap. If you seal around the edge of the vanity unit moisture may still build up and create staining, or the silicon seal may leak and water could drip down. If you have more space you could have a bigger gap about 30cm/ 1 foot and fit a slim towel rail to the side of the vanity unit so you have somewhere to keep a hand towel. Good luck
    ...See More

what kind of new windows 1930 house?

Q

Comments (43)
    Mu previous property was a 1930s house and we had good quality upvc installed which were leaded but no stain glass. Was a good compromise to keep in character of the original ones that we had to replace and practicality
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi susie. I've got a roll top and high loo with a traditonal double pedestal (similar to this but much nicer legs!) It does have a fair amount of flat surface. If not, what are the dimensions of the console? I know when you posted previously you wanted something a bit different but is it just a plain trough you want now? You can always add wow with the tap, plus obviously the tiles you've chosen, roll top etc

• Skelpie 5
    8 years ago

^Totally agree with Minnie. We've just finished putting in a new family bathroom with similar tiles to yours and a 'shaker' feel. Keeping the base elements simple and adding wow with taps and tiles is really effective. It sounds like it'll look lovely when you're finished!

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Minnie, I just can't decide what to do! The tiles are pretty definite, although I really like the ones in the attached pic too. I'm keeping the floorboards in the main part of the room and I'll deal with spillages with big, fluffy bath rugs. The same tiles would be used as splashback at the sink so the sink needs to be plain. A friend suggested Belfast-style so I may decide to go with that idea but I also like the look of a fairly wide trough style with lovely taps, possibly chased into the wall. Pic attached of similar sink. Not sure if the pics have attached, can't see them...
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Dimensions not to hand but I will post them tonight.
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Have you looked on this site? Loads of Belfast and butler sinks: http://www.sinks.co.uk/ they have some gorgeous copper ones - probably not what you had in mind but would look fab with the grey and the colours in your floor tiles.
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello, I love the copper ones but I'm not too sure how they would go with a roll top. The tiling is for a separate part of the room but I will be using them as splash back so I would agree they'll be nice together. I'll have a look at the site, thank you.
  • Skelpie 5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you, we love it!

We had our builders put in false walls around the bath too so we could have some built-in alcoves - they add a great finish for relatively low cost.

We fitted an 800mm long sink in our Cloakroom which is a bit trough-like. It was from Bathstore so may be worth checking them out too?

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you SM, looking now!!
  • loopyjohns
    8 years ago
    Hi, what about a square sink to one side of your console table rather than central?It may leave you more space for bits and pieces. Just had one put in my small bathroom.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    8 years ago

another suggestion to the food for thought might be this type - it has a very versatile look to it and works with both traditional and modern and is inexpensive to boot!

LILLÅNGEN Sink, 1 bowl · More Info

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Minnie, the console table is 119cm wide by 37cm deep so I reckon it can take something quite wide. I rather fancy the idea of a trough-type look and I think it would work with the roll top etc. The one that SM suggested from Bathstore could be an option with period-style taps but I need to see it in the flesh. See pic for eg. I appear to be starting down the new avenue of commissioning a concrete sink but I have a feeling it's going to bust my max £10,000 budget!!! Argh!!
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello ASV, yes that looks interesting but I need to see these in the flesh really. Do you happen to have a pic of it in situ and would it work as a counter top?
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Loopyjohns, I like yours and I haven't ruled out something more square but my heart is with the rectangle (this week anyway!!).
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    8 years ago

Yup - I used this for a client with limited space so this design is quite modern.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Susie. If you're going the concrete option you may well have to commission. I've only had a quick look but all the ones I've looked at are too deep. I personally would also paint the console if you went for concrete. I really liked the marble trough you pictured, marble always adds a touch of luxury! If you went for copper, I would go for something with maybe a nickel interior to tie the different metals together or if not a vintage copper. This one is from lassco and they do made to measure.

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello all, this is a headache! I'm going to visit Lassco and I've contacted Bathstore to see if they have SM's trough-style to view. Looking at it on the net, it could be an option. It's neat and would go with the roll top I think. SM, is this the one? I'm beginning to wonder if I should try to get a wider version of the attached other pic? The bathroom is costing me £10,000 with the associated knocking down of walls and my need for lovely fittings so I really can't spend more than £400 on the basin!!! Anyone find me something like the attached but quite a bit wider and without tap holes?? I really, really appreciate your expertise and experience everyone. On top of this, I haven't actually quite got my builder sorted yet!!!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Where are you going to have the taps? No building expertise at all but can you drill through any type of tile to fit the taps? Or if the taps are above the tiles do you need to think about water pressure if you have a really narrow sink? It may all be fine though!

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Susie. I've failed miserably, I just can't find anything to fit the depth of the console. I know it means buying 2 of everything but would you consider 2 small sinks??

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Minnie, yep I'm continuing to draw a huge blank too! As far as the taps go, I think that can be done. I almost certainly want them chased into the wall and I guess a competent tiler would cut a tile in half, shape the edges and slide them behind the taps??? No knowledge whatsoever but you do see taps on tiles.
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't envisage the taps being more than two tiles width at most above the sink so I'm hoping it'll be ok splash-wise. I'm having a glass panel fitted to the top of the console too. The wide sink idea is purely taste, I just don't think I like square or round but oval is still an option. I'm thinking mini-Butler style or trough. Hadn't really thought about water pressure. A few more pic ideas attached to peruse. I'm beginning to wish I just wanted a bland white suite now!!!
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Any pics attached? Seems a bit flakey!!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This looks fairly similar to s m sink. Bear in mind the examples I've shown you are IKEA and you can see them at a local store. I've worked with these types of sinks for clients who are 'sacrificing' sink for other high end products. And they have worked well for them

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00135419/#/30135432

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi susie. Do you mean you don't like round ceramic sinks or in any material? I found a baby Belfast but it's still too wide at 38cm! I know it's not ideal but the console seems to be the issue, could you use it elsewhere and buy a wider one??

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I've found a concrete design company who might make me one for around £400 but I'm far from decided. I'm not keen on round or square. I don't mind oval though, as in the pic. I bought the console for my hallway but it was too big so a friend had a brainwave to use it in the bathroom. I'm sort of sold on that plan but that could all change!!!
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Sorry Minnie, no I like most materials including ceramic.
  • susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ASV, I will peruse IKEA, thank you!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I Like the concrete one. Given the style of your other fittings and tiles if you opt for concrete I would give the room a slight industriał feel with taps or lights etc to make it work together. Do also check the console can take the weight of the sink

• susienew
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well I think it would but the proposed builder is not so convinced. It's a sturdy piece of furniture and I think once it's screwed to the floor it'll be fine. I'll check what the weight will be from the cement people.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.