mistylydia

French window or sliding patio door kitchen dilemma?

mistylydia
8 years ago

We're having a kitchen extension. The existing external wall has a window that is about 6 foot wide and 4 foot deep. The new external wall (which will be about 9 feet further out) will provide the new rear exit and access to the garden and we would like a large window to open the kitchen up to the garden. The new window/door will be 8 foot wide. Our dilemma is whether to go for:

1) a three panel French type window with the central panel being the external door. The door will preferably open outwards to allow extra space in the kitchen. I'm thinking plain glass here not the small panels traditionally used in French doors. I've searched online but can't find any examples of this type of three panel window with the door in the centre.

2) a sliding patio door.

Unfortunately bifold doors would exhaust our budget.

My concern about option 1 is that the three panel frame with central door may look cluttered and the proforma may interrupt the view. My main concern about option 2 is security as the rear garden is fairly secluded. Also wondering whether sliding patio doors are now somewhat dated???

The door will be used frequently to access the rear garden and unfortunately the four large, but necessary, bins that our local council have provided.

Any comments regarding the merits or pitfalls of either option, or alternative suggestions, would be gratefully received. We have to decide quickly as the builder has already started and is pressing us for a decision.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.