goastudiolondonresidentialarchitect

Putney, Wandsworth SW6 London | Kitchen house extension

Single storey side house extension and internal alterations to create an enlarged contemporary kitchen and dining area.

Comments (5)

• Sandra Segal
    8 years ago
    Fantastic job. Looks great!!
    GOAStudio London residential architecture limited thanked Sandra Segal
  • PRO
    VC Design Architectural Services
    8 years ago
    How did you hold up the first floor, it appears to be the dropped bulkhead at the rear of this photo- cantilevers or sky hooks?
  • PRO
    GOAStudio London residential architecture limited
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi VC Design,

We considered sky hooks with the structural engineer however the little fairies holding the floor above proved difficult to source in time for the project. Then we considered photoshopping the column away. The client insisted this was not an option since he would still see the column every morning when he came down to make breakfast.

At the end we went back to the engineer who designed some cranked beams and cantilivers above the main kitchen area; spotlights and vent ducts are also accommodated in the bulkhead.

The engineer also had to design some ground-beams since we reduced the original floor level to increase the headheight in the new kitchen; you might be able to see the step from inside-outside in some of the photos. It was worth it since we did not have the option to raise the ceiling any further and it was important that we could try to create as much internal space as possible within the budget restrictions of course.

George

• Tom Flanagan
    8 years ago

What a great house extension! It looks so spacious now, and the bifold doors are wonderful - top job!

• Tim Pulham
    8 years ago
    it looks great. what dimensions is it?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.