locrpr

House renovation - Advice on layout

LondonOne
8 years ago

I want to completely renovate my house and I feel a bit overwhelmed so I would appreciate any advice and ideas.

On the ground floor I want to create a large open plan by knocking down all internal walls and removing the big staircase in the middle. I would like to keep the downstairs loo.

Is it going to be really awkward not having an entrance hall? Could it put off buyers when (if) I decide to sell one day?

With respect to the stairs, would it make more sense to move them to the side or instead of spending a lot of money to change layout I should just go for a glass staircase in the middle of the open plan so that I don't have to change the opening in the ceiling?

On the first floor I want to remove the small bedroom in order to have a large(r) master bedroom with a new en-suite and perhaps a walk in wardrobe or dressing area. The boiler is a bit in the way but I think it's feasible?

I will want to convert the loft and have a third bedroom up there which also means I need to find room for a new staircase from the first floor to the roof.

Any feedback or other ideas will be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.