lynn_allers

Need help picking curtains to go in room with red brick fireplace!

Lynn Allers
8 years ago

I am stumped as to the best accent colour for our living room. We have a red brick fireplace, taupe walls, dark brown couch and also dark floors. I have brought home several different colours and designs of curtains to try and just can't seem to find one that works. We also need pillows and artwork to match the curtains or to bring in some colour if we go with a neutral. Here are some pictures of the last two sample curtains I have tried and also a couple pictures of some different angles in the room. Any suggestions on colour or other ideas would be greatly appreciated as the stores are starting to get tired of me buying and returning curtains!

Comments (96)

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

She is probably at work (or moving furniture!!!)

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes this working full time and trying to decorate a house at the same time is so time consuming.....not to mention trying to get a kid ready to go off to summer camp!

No Sara, painting the brick fireplace is not an option (sorry).

I did try moving the chair over beside the fish tank. To move the fish tank over to where it was suggested is going to be a major undertaking - so won't happen overnight (and that is if I can convince my husband to move it). Before I had a chance to read all the comments that I should probably not be putting drapes on the piano window over the couch, I went out today and picked up another pair of drapes to try. Looking at the picture though, it does look odd to have drapes on that window and not any on the big windows (which I believe that decoenthusiaste suggested that I do instead).

I do think moving the chair was a positive change....so will have to keep trying new things and changing it up as I read more of these great ideas that everyone has. And I think that rug shopping is going to be top priority very soon! Thanks so much for the help - sometimes a person needs a fresh set of eyes to help point out things that should be obvious...but just aren't.

• Related Discussions

What colour walls to go with red blinds in living room

Q

Comments (22)
    Make the blinds disappear by painting the window wall the same red. Otherwise they will look a bit 'bitty'. You can also pick up the red with assessories and introduce other colours also with artwork. I think lots of cream or natural linen. IKEA do a lovely striped sofa which has a thin red stripes which would give it a French country feel. Sorry I don't like the brown leather sofa and after reading how leather is mass produced I am now having problems with any leather sofas :(
    ...See More

Need help with what to do with fireplace.

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi again! For anyone that's interested, I have finally managed to have a go at my varnished stone fireplace and am pretty happy with the results… It's not perfect but makes a huge difference in terms of light in the room and cost me next to nothing! I used a tiny bit of annie sloan paint to dull and lighten the stone - my mum sent me leftovers of 'paris grey' that she had used on some furniture. The link I had found which described the painting process belonged to an artist, so I was aware that my results would differ quite drastically from hers, but I'm still happy! I also had a new mantlepiece made from old planks that my boyfriend has had stashed away for years - a carpenter we often use put it together for the equivalent of about US$10. We don't own the house so I haven't waxed the paint on the stone (meaning it can be washed off with water and a light scrub) and the new mantlepiece is literally slotted on top of the old one and discreetly screwed in place. It is no huge home improvement project but made a big difference to the feel of the room using minimal time, money and mess… Now just the rest of the room to decorate…!
    ...See More

Need help choosing new wall colour for sitting room.

Q

Comments (53)
    Well the walls have been repainted at last. And the winner was....................... F&B Cromarty! Second was Mizzle, but it looked a little too dark in my north facing room, but it was a close contender. Thank you all for your brilliant advice. We both love the colour, and you can see how different it is in various areas. E D - the sofas are now away from the walls and the castors are sitting on brass cups (the plastic ones shattered) and it has worked, they don’t move!
    ...See More

Help needed with colours for living room walls and floor.

Q

Comments (1)
    For inspiration: And teal sofa's are great! But I would -personally- not put brown (weathered penny) on the walls. Especially not if it's 'just as dark' as the teal. Pick either a lighter or a darker color. Pale beige/greige, dark moss*. Offwhite would work just fine, as your midcentury vibe will come from your furniture. And orange and apple green should be used for small accents (pillows etc), not on large surfaces. (* Dulux Polished Pebble or Pebble Shore, Bronze Fig, RAL6007 or 6008?)
    ...See More
  • Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry, can't seem to get my pictures loaded on here tonight. Will have to try again tomorrow.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I would definitely consider a rug that has a modern feel to it.

Found these on line under Houzz modern rugs 9 x 12 but TJMaxx and Marshalls have some gorgeous rugs at wonderful prices! Or you could choose a broadloom and have it cut and bound in an amazing array of colors!

• saltcitybabe
    8 years ago

I just noticed the other huge window with the angle to section. Do you plan to do similar window treatments on it as well?

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I really think that you need curtains on both windows to make the room warmer in feel and more welcoming. I still vote for the horizontal stripe big time as it is linear like your windows.

• davidrobinson220
    8 years ago

Having the same problem picking curtains for ours

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

again find a floral, a geometric, and a color block style, take them home and see what pattern you like the best then go from there is color is not quite right. At least you have the pattern down and then becomes a matter of finding the correct color in the pattern you have selected.

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finally got the picture loaded for the last set of drapes I tried and also with the chair moved. This picture below makes it so obvious to me now that the comments were right and that the drapes are needed on the two big window.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Like the new furniture arrangement. Looking good. The curtains look like curtains, but do not make a statement in th room. Why hang them if the room will not look interesting and fresh?

• PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    8 years ago

You have a wonderful start towards redoing your room!

You still could use an area rug and some new lamps.... http://www.lampsplus.com/products/set-of-2-quad-stacked-crystal-table-lamps__x8518.html

I knew when I suggested you move the aquarium that it would be a large task......but considering that you have a sofa in a walkway and the TV is at and awkward angle to be seen from each seating area....it seemed like the best solution for you, but it is your home....

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Aren't those lamps a bit too feminine and thin for such heavy furniture?

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Stamps Design Services! We did like your idea on furniture arrangement and we haven't ruled out moving the fish tank just yet - it just may take some time and we want to try all other possibilities before we go ahead and try to move it.

I was actually out looking at new lamps the other day, but thought I better postpone until we get everything else figured out....plus wasn't sure how tall the lamps are supposed to be - I started questioning if the current ones are the right height or not?

I have now taken down all the drapes and am trying the window without anything on, which I am not minding at all.

I think first we need to work out the plans for the furniture placement...then look for a rug. Once we have those both nailed down, then we can work on art (if we decide to change the willow picture for art with different colours), lamps, drapes, pillows etc. So while it kind of feels like I am going back to square one and am no further ahead with picking colours....in the long run it will work out for the best as I was obviously working on something that should have come last - picking out drapes.

Thanks again for all the help - so appreciate all the input!

• Brenda Price
    8 years ago
    It appears on my iPad that the finish on the curtains is to formal for the space.
    Lynn Allers thanked Brenda Price
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    8 years ago

You're welcome! I like the blue and green tones you have added, they really liven up your space! You could add stationary panels to either side of the large windows, which would coordinate the look of both windows.

Lynn Allers thanked Stamps Design Services
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

You know design is such a complex activity. Everyone has a million questions and things just take trial and error. It can all be by numbers and height, but it basically gets down to I just am not sure! haha so you try and try and try some more but each time to make a decision, one way or another, that is one less decison you have to make in the future. You would not have know that floor to ceiling curtains might not be the way to go until you actually see them. then you learn to trust your instinct and begin to make more positive choices based on a myriad of things you now know you no longer like. You are doing great.

Oh, yeah, on the fish tank, I moved ours once too. Just love syphoning water out of the tank and trying not to kill all those fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn Allers thanked Susan Davis
  • Casandra383 Dean
    8 years ago
    I had those type of windows in my last house. I used bamboo blinds over them to fake a larger window. I just left them unrolled to the floor, then added drapes. The blinds aren't solid so they still let light in, and it masked the 'shortness' of the windows. HTH!
    Lynn Allers thanked Casandra383 Dean
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think that is a cool idea and so perfect for formal/informal rooms!

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i still htink the couch can move down. and the chair can float then closer to viewing tv near the couch.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Good call!

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did move the chair a little closer in....but not sure if that is how far into the tv viewing area you were thinking flair lighting. Also broke down and put up the stripped drapes again...just couldn't get used to the no drape thing on that window! I guess we will either have to keep the drapes or go with a blind on the window just to finish the look. Swapped out my lamps with a another set of lamps from a different room - these ones have a lighter coloured shade. Haven't had time to go rug shopping yet....

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think the curtains are great and would add three more panels on the large window. left, middle, right. You will have fun with the rug for sure. Bring in a fun accent color or two or three or four! TJMaxx or Marshalls have wonderful rugs.

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Could you pull the love seat into the room, making an L shape with sofa. You would then make a walkway behind the sofa, instead of walking in front of it.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

wouldn't the love seat block the walk way and entry points to the room. Or do you mean move everything down toward the aquarium? But wouldn't that block the TV viewing?

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

It would block entry into the room from the left side, but still could enter from the tv side, i believe. Hard to tell from pictures. Lynne would have to turn the one end table so the short side is to the front (unless it's a square table).

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago
    Soosan the love seat is staying where it is now so it wouldnt change anything about the walk way
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for the input! You would walk along walls instead of directly thru the middle of the room?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

No. Curtains. On. Any. Windows. In this room.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

These windows were not made for curtains. Ever. Shades yes.

Move the chair so it meets the sofa at the corner. Add a big table that both can use. Depopulate the room a bit. Bring in some color. Green/teal is a great complement to the red brick.

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Flair Lighting for clarifying with those plans. I tried to move everything down as you showed and also brought the chair in more. The drapes looked really odd with the couch not centered under the window, so took them down again.

The pictures aren't great, but they kind of gives you a general idea of how it looks.

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks groveraxle for your picture! Loved the look that you gave the room - the pop of colour on the throw and the art on the fireplace look great!! It is funny because I actually picked up a vase today and a throw with a bit of that same colour in them....but I really like the solid colour throw in your picture better.

I tried moving the furniture how I believe you have it in your photo....here are some pictures of how that turned out.

• C.C. designs
    8 years ago
    just an idea.. why dont you paint your fireplace a neutral color really updates the room with a white mantel put your picture back up with those margo curtains and printed rug and wow thatd completely change the whole look. your couches are heavy so def need to lighten the couches with really pop of color pillows
  • Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We want to keep the fireplace original - so while a great idea cclaver, not really one that we would entertain. Agree that the couches really need the pop of color with pillows! Am trying to make the pillows one of the last items I purchase just in case our accent color changes along the way.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Lynn, in the arrangement I suggested and you just posted above, is it possible to bring the loveseat into the seating arrangement? That is, can it be moved to meet the sofa at the arm so that people walk behind it? If not enough room, could it go at the other end in front of the fish tank, and the chair go in its place?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I suspect this...

...isn't possible because the loveseat is too large. But this would be...
    ...and would add some lightness to the room.

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I moved the loveseat forward into the seating arrangement. It makes it a little tighter to enter the room between the tv stand and the loveseat...but it is possible and I believe there is still room to move the tv stand down a bit - so that may help. Now there is a clear walk path behind the loveseat and by moving the loveseat it does make for a more cozier seating arrangement. One thing that I never mentioned in any of my previous postings is that the door and closet that you would be walking towards behind the loveseat, aren't ones that are used very often. We don't use this exterior door to enter the house and because of this the closet is one that is only used for off season coats etc. Really that corner is just a waste of space for us - but before an addition (with another entrance door) was added on to the house by one of the previous owners, this would have been the main door to enter the house.

So based on the fact that we don't use the door/closet area beyond the loveseat, is it still suggested that we move it forward to leave an open walkway behind it?

One positive with moving the loveseat forward is that it should make it easier to fit a rug into the area. I was a little worried on how we were going to have a rug reach all the way to the loveseat since it was sitting over there on it's own.

I also measured and there is no room to move the loveseat by the fishtank.

Sorry, but I am not able to take and post any photos at the moment - and am about to go out of town for a couple of days..... but I will post some pictures when I get back!

Thanks again for the great ideas!

• Lynn Allers
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just noticed your pictures and your picture is pretty accurate to what it looks like right now. There is roughly a 28 inch space between the end of the loveseat and the tv stand. We do have approx 17 inches that we can move the tv stand down towards the fireplace - so that would give us a little more room.

I guess this is an exercise that we should have gone through before we bought our living room furniture last year. So I don't think that we have any plans to get rid of it just yet and will have to try to work with what we have.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

i get where grover is going, but it really wont work. This looks the best. try moving the tall plant behind the coffee table here. I really like this balance. the real question, is do you need the love seat?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

the other thought, does the couch fit width wise/

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Lynn, 28" is a little tight, but if you really rarely use that passage, it might be doable. Why don't you leave it like that for a few days and see how it feels. It does give you a more cohesive look.

BTW, if you do end up moving the loveseat back to the wall, you won't take a rug all the way to that side. You'll get the same size rug either way.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

if you pull the love seat forward, where does it put it in perspective to the TV and console.. and can you walk around it?

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

what about this.........

• 1citykitty
    8 years ago

i think this may be a case for mounting the tv on the mantle

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

if you want to make this room look nicer you have to get rid of this ugly furniture. no curtains can compensate for this. Sorry

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

The room size from wall to wall might be correct, but the hearth depth must be 2 feet from the wall so I do not think the room is deep enough to have sofa perpendicular to the fireplace. But then again I might not be reading the floor plan correctly? Fireplace across from high windows and fish tank and console to the left of the windows on wall with large floor to ceiling windows?

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

S & A Decor, Your "help" wasn't very helpful. Anybody can throw out all their furniture and start again - NOT. Not a very good way to glean clients for your business.

• PRO
    flair lighting
    8 years ago

SA, first I flagged your comment... but then I thought why not leave it for all to see...This is no way to enter a room. And being rude is no way to get a welcome from us. following with sorry is just pushing the knife in further. Do you truly believe that every one can just toss things away, and run to their money tree...........

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one that thought her remarks were so inappropriate.

• saltcitybabe
    8 years ago

S&A is an arrogant silly. When someone asks for help and says she will be keeping certain items, in this example the fish tank and couch, loveseat and chair, and the dilemma is window coverings, don't just change the whole scenario and disregard her request. If you have no sincere suggestions, then don't post anything.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.