hollyscott1985

help for windows !!!

Hollyxxx
26 July, 2015
We have recently built an extension and are now looking to furnish. This is my windows and patio doors for my new living room. We have bought a sky-blue/grey sofa so was looking at curtains, now if i bought floor to length curtains i would have a wall of curtains ? do i go shorter and then full length ? roller blinds, vertical blinds ?. Looking for advice as this is to be my nice living room kids won't play in here so really looking to go all out and make it stunning.

Ensign Accessories
    Answer is yes you would have a wall of curtains, with miles of fabric all over the place. Much better solution would be small Venetian blinds - they come in lots of different colours now - silver would look smart. You could then have smaller ones for the shorter windows, and taller ones for the doors. You would then loose them during the day, and even when in use they are then confined to the window space. You have lovely big windows with lots of light, curtains would not work at all.
    Hollyxxx thanked Ensign Accessories
  • Hollyxxx

thank you, thats what i thought also was thinking roller blinders ? in all honesty i never wanted patio doors just one big window but planning permission wouldn't allow this and don't actually plan on using the patio doors altho very handy for bringing furniture in :-)

Ensign Accessories

Patio doors will come in very handy. Yes Roller blinds would work - just check when fully rolled up they do not obscure working of opening door - although it looks as though the door opens outward.

Hollyxxx thanked Ensign Accessories
    Bloc Blinds

Hi Holly,

You could go for 3 separate roller blinds here. As Ensign Accessories have said if your doors open outwards top fix would be best, if not surface mounted blinds would work.

The Bloc Blinds system allows you to swap the fabric of your blinds as often as you like using the hook off, hook on mechanism, without replacing the complete system. It means you could have a lighter fabric for summer and a thermal, heat retaining fabric for winter, or just swap them when you fancy a new design or updated colour scheme, you can really coordinate the look of your entire room.

Take a look at our range of fabrics below, we can also send out free fabric samples to see what works best with your decor. If you have any questions our Customer Service team are happy to help on 0800 107 5535.

Best of luck with your project,

Kiera

http://www.blocblinds.co.uk/window_blinds/roller_blinds

Hollyxxx thanked Bloc Blinds
    Pret A Vivre

Hi Holly,

Depending on the look you want to go for I would either go for floor to ceiling, wall to wall curtains for a cosy feel, wave voile curtains are beautiful and contemporary. Or you could simply have a series of roller blinds for a minimalist look, that would disappear once rolled up.

Hope this helps.

Hollyxxx thanked Pret A Vivre
    Shutterly Fabulous

wow! That's quite an expanse of glass. We'd like to suggest the option of shutters. They frame windows and doors beautifully, let you control light levels and are robust and easy to clean! And we match to any colour you fancy so you could still go for a blue that fits with the sofa. Good luck with the project - whatever you pick it's going to look great!

Shutters for patio doors · More Info

Hollyxxx thanked Shutterly Fabulous
    Blinds 2go

Are these uPVC doors Holly? One style no-one has touched upon yet is blinds that clip onto your window frame. We call them PerfectFIT & EasiFIT. They're excellent if you do end up using those doors (even if it's just a quick nip outside) as they won't fly around everywhere and you don't have to fight past them to get to the door handle.
    Here are two photos that our customers have sent in of them so you can get an idea.

Hope this gives you food for thought, let us know if you have any questions about any of them.

Hollyxxx thanked Blinds 2go
    colourhappy

I had exactly this in my last house and I opted for linen eyelet curtains. They folded back beautifully and allowed lots of light in. They were very expensive but will go with me wherever I go. A beautiful chunky wooden pole which extends beyond the end of the sills to allow the curtains to be pulled right back would look great. Roman blinds would be my second choice. Good luck.

Hollyxxx thanked colourhappy
  • libradesigneye

Holly, here, since your walls come out with a thick cap, I think I would stick with fabric roman shades on the windows, hung within the recess for the window itself rather than at the crown, so when they are raised they sort of hide the jumping muntin line, and use the same fabric on hanging drapery at the doors. You want to use exactly 1.5 x width of your doors for the drapery, and select a top treatment that allows them to really stack back.

This is going to lend softness, unify the wall but also feel elegant / befitting a living room. Line them so the light coming through them is uniform up or down / stacked or unstacked and you have better thermal properties in winter / night time. Fabric is great because it adds softness and sound dampening and gives you an opportunity to introduce color - even if your main fabric is a neutral, you can do an accent trim to help tie your decor together.

Hollyxxx thanked libradesigneye
  • benburnett
    Electronic roller or Venetian blinds. They're very reasonable now of days and it saves having to try to get the level of them all equal. Handy when you're on holiday too.
    Hollyxxx thanked benburnett
  • Hollyxxx

Wow , i didn't expect so many comments thank you all so much !!!. Yes the doors open outwards and both doors so plenty of width for bringing new pieces in :-) Will show my partner tonight au super excited now a lot less panicked hahaha just want to make this a lovely room.

• Gatos Rojos

Hi Hollyxxx, I had the same dilemma as I have a similar set-up to you in our extension (albeit yours is larger than mine:-)). I opted for roller blinds in the end for the sheer simplicity of them. I decided that curtains would look heavy and block out light and that Venetian blinds would have odd heights when pulled up (due to many more slats being in the full length door blind). I've attached a couple of photos of what I have done and another photo from the sales literature when we bought the house; the previous occupants had curtains, so you can compare. I think both looks are good, it really all comes down to what vibe you are hoping to achieve. I hope it helps. vanessa. P.S. sorry that the photos are a bit dark, my phone can't really cope with the contrast on such a sunny day. I'm not going to complain about the sun being out! Hopefully you will get the idea. x

Hollyxxx thanked Gatos Rojos