garethrees

Edwardian City Terrace Small Garden

garethrees
8 years ago

I'm trying to decide on what to do with my 10m × 4.7m garden.

Here's the existing plan view:

…and a photograph:

---

I've been through loads of iterations of design on SketchUp but I'm yet to feel like I've found "the one".

I'm just outside a large city, and I want to have the feel of a city garden – not a cottage in the countryside. That said, I'd rather something more classic than super modern.

I'm definitely going to deck out to at least 2.4 meters, and along the side return of the house because it will be the easiest way to tidy up the existing concrete patio. After that, I'm not sure.

Here are some things I want (or don't want) from the garden:

• Space for 2-8 people to eat outside
  • Enough lawn to lie on in the sun
  • At least an 8x6 shed
  • Ability to grow herbs and leafy vegetables (salad-type stuff)
  • The less construction work the better
  • Relatively low maintenance, but not afraid of a bit of work
  • Not decking; path; lawn (e.g. http://i.imgur.com/NlZtZ2x.jpg); this feels like it has no soul
  • More "kept" than "wild"

I was debating whether to post any of my designs in progress, because I don't want to influence suggestions too much. I'm sure there must be something I haven't thought of that only a fresh pair of eyes could point out. Here are some links to my plans, but I'm totally open to something radically different.

Cheers!

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.