sanaabou

How to make this space look better?

sanaabou
8 years ago
If you had to put a dining table where will you put it?
If you had to remove stuff from this space what will you get rid of and what will you keep?
Any inspirations are welcome :)
2 photos attached to give you the view of the room from corner to corner
Thanks a ton!!!

Comments (27)

• User
    8 years ago
    The large recess in your room seems to be the natural place for a dining area but its filled with sofas. If you really need these, maybe put one of them where the two huge pouffes are and find another location for the other one, or sell it?
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Sanaabou, It is a really big room but everything is hugging the walls... bring the furniture into the room... You have a lot of space... fizzfan makes a good suggestion for the dining table in the recess.. take all that seating out and give it a go and see...

Next, I would consider moving that sofa away away from the other window.. This will open the window up which will really make a difference.. you could have a long low slim console table with a lamp in the central window and maybe a few nice objects..

The sofa, whichever one you choose needs to come forward in line with the tv.. I'd place it where that second pouffe is and move the console on the right to sit behind the sofa, place a large vase with flowers or something nice here... Move the carpet roughly into the middle of that portion of the room, so it is centralised, then arrange the furnishings.. I like the mirror.. Could it go to a more central place on that back wall in line with the console..Maybe add another one.. OR

You could think about something on the rear wall that possibly adds a bit of height.. Maybe a bigger canvas or a slim cabinet.. ... Move the two pics and hang them either side of the front (not recess) window.. Those two wooden chairs could sit either side of the front window where I suggest putting the two pictures.. Maybe you could have a mirror on that wall where the little pics are and the wooden chairs are currently situated.. : ))

• Related Discussions

How can I make my bay/bow window look better?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have similar dilemma with the small window Which to me looks like unfinish. For addition the window sill that the window is put on is very thin and without insulation. I am attaching 2 pictures of houses that I saw in BrIstol. I like a lot how they finished the small bay window. I attached as well Picture of finish between two big bays
    ...See More

Workshop challenge - how do I make a big space work and look smart

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi. It's difficult to say without knowing exactly what the business requirements are. What flooring is down atm as I would go for large concrete effect tiles to minimise flooring costs? Add rugs for texture plus if you need to work on the floor? I would divide the area so you have a work area and a seating area with kitchenette. Use industriał style dividers or bookcases to split the space. Colours will need to be light for working so maybe a very pale grey or white for walls but use dark blue or charcoal velvet for a sofa with maybe a leather chair. I assume the other end of the room is the same? I would build cupboards with shelves ŵall to ceiling, deep enough to hold fabric ( I might be tempted to paint these in a charcoal though!). Maybe look at a library ladder for reaching the top shelves. I'd buy an enormous old desk in wood and leather, have a look in antique shops for the double style desks. You can buy large vintage filing cabinets for any buttons, threads etc ( there's an antique shop in long melford which sells cabinets and desks if you're close to suffolk!) Use a large pendant light in the seating area with floor lamps but maybe look at the industriał style track lighting for the working area combined with task lights for the desk. You could also add mirrors to bounce the light
    ...See More

How to make a low beam look better

Q

Comments (5)
    How you have it seems the best option, that is painted the same colour as your ceiling. Many new large kitchens have to have support beams. Would you consider painting the end wall or perhaps adding some colourful tiles and shelving? Otherwise, as has already been suggested, you can distract by adding colour, such as art, to the walls.
    ...See More

How to make kitchen tiles/design look better?

Q

Comments (6)
    I also like them. It’s easy to have a wobble when it’s half finished but I’m sure you will love it- especially if you add extra elements of similar colours….. such as a patterned blind or tea towels. You might also consider painting the walls- I suspect they are very white and with the cabinets also being white you will inevitably focus on the tiles.
    ...See More
  • sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for your bright insights, I can see that there is lots of work to start with :)
    Amazing idea of the dining table I will give it a try, should I put just a dining table there or account for the console behind it?
    Regarding bring the sofa in the middle, and the console behind, should there be a space between both or the console attached to the sofa?
    By bringing the sofa in the center will I need to change the sofa style as it's an L shape or Maybe position it differently as it comes in blocs?
    Also for the low table next to the middle window, do you mean a very low one that still allows the window to open or a higher one?
    For the mirror to put in the wall, which type of mirror would be good, without frames or with?
    Many thanks for all your inputs

Sanaa
  • sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    One more question for AJ :) can you share with me example of cabinets in the back wall or canvass that you suggested please?
    Thanks a ton!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaabou, :)) It's not a lot of work really, just a bit of moving round!.....I think a very low table just under window height so that you could have a table lamp if you wanted to, and the other two windows could still be opened then. You could still use the sofa if it's in blocks but if it is low, maybe it won't work.. Try it to see.. With a console behind a sofa it can stand right next, usually though the sofa has a higher back.. so see how yours might be reconfigured to work. I would suggest a rectangular mirror with a frame see partial image, something big and with a plain silvered finish....

Your colours are silvers and browns.. So I'm going to work with that.. I thought that a pair of sideboards would make a nice look for the back wall evenly placed with the canvas above it, so symmetry here could work nicely. I would suggest perhaps a floor lamp as well..

You can offset the symmetry with differing height vases that are not symmetrically placed.. 1 at a gr8r height on 1 side and 2 or 3 lower on the other side for example maybe 1 with flowers..Sideboards gives you storage but a nice solid and warm element and look that compliments the floor as well. . :))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello!!!

thanks to all your comments, I have reshuffled things around at least with the existing furniture to show you the impact and get your feedback? ( see picture)

Also since I m planning to buy new sofa, which sofa shape would for better here? L shape? What?

regarding the dining table to be put in the recess, I feel bad getting rid of my sofa there :( do u really think its not adding much?

many thanks

Sanaa

• User
    8 years ago
    Hi sanaabou. It looks so much better. Well done! If you get an L shaped sofa it would definitely leave more visual space, especially when looking from the recess and I think that would good. With regard to the sofas in the recess, the only option if you want to keep them is maybe use them as your seating and just put a table in there - just be aware of the table height being appropriate for eating when seated on the sofas. Good luck.
    sanaabou thanked User
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaa, Yes!! Nice... I would say bring the console to just behind the sofa there.. Then there is room for sideboards or something on the back wall... you do need to add something here to give the room some contrast and texture..Especially as that back wall is the same colour as the rest of the space.. Put the one big square pouffe to the left over to the right to balance the little black table.... The round one on the right could go somewhere else..

I had a thought that if you didn't want to change the pictures on the back wall, you could get a fourth one to even it out a bit.... But it already is looking good and I actually prefer odd numbers... See what you think, you could actually just space them out a bit.. but I like their placement and they don't need to actually be exactly behind the sofa.. .. For design of sofa.. it really depends whether you want to add armchairs or keep the pouffes..

You could define the space a little more with an armchair to suit a new sofa.. I would say a 3 seater with 2 armchairs at either side, coffee table in the middle.. I have included a 3 seater Chesterfield in grey velvet, a lovely armchair in slate grey Howard & Sons and an Ines Cole Victorian tub chair in velvet grey also.. They are suggested designs which I think will look really elegant but of course they are as a guide for you as you may not love them!

With the sofa in the recess.. I just think it is offering another seating area when you already have a large living space that you can make more of.. .. If you wanted a dining table there it could be really nice.. Of course you would have to see how it would work.. Fixed seating or benches, I can't quite get a feel of the dimensions there to be specific in suggestions.. . Also where is it currently? The room is already coming along nicely and I hope you can see how they fill the space more and give it more impact.. ...

: ))

sanaabou thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey!! Really amazing to go through your comments and rework things!

Fizzfan, thank your for your idea regarding putting a table in the recess, I'm actually still considering if getting rid of the sofa for a dining table is the best alternative.

AJ, many thanks for all the inspiration!! I love the idea of arm chairs! So basically you recommend one in each side or two in each side?

if I go for the Middle sofa that you shared ( 3 seater) do you recommend going for light color ( beige or off White) to give the feel of a large space? Or a darker color?

For the recess area, in attaching a picture of it for you to see where is it and in terms of dimensions its 3m/3.5m. I guess this gives you a better idea... So what would you recommend?

Monica, thanks!! For brining the sofa into the main room, the space won't fit unless everything is again against the wall.... And not sure if it won't be two much...

for the pictures on the wall, the serie of 3 pictures are not amazing! So I guess going with the canevas as suggested earlier is nice? But then the mirror that was meant to be on top of the table will be hanging alone...is that fine ? It doesn't bother you?

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaa, So glad you are pleased with it all... I do love a good shift around and you find that the room has new life.. It's like moving in all over again.. With the sofa.. I'd say a 3 seater and then have 1 armchair at either side but not too close, give it all room and then you can have a coffee table too.. You have the little side table and the lamp.. to compliment and add mood lighting.. You still have the pouffes if you need even more impromptu seating.. So I think it would be more than enough without being too much..

For the colouring I rather like the silvery element.. So I found a lighter grey velvet... With that you can accent it with creams and silvers, charcoals for cushions and throws.. It would also blend beautifully with the rug.. The room is not small and so I feel it can benefit from something rich and bold, whilst complimenting what you have like the grey silvery curtains..

For the art works.. If you want a change you could opt for something else, space them out a bit or even place them somewhere else if you bought something else..I do like that mirror and I actually like it where it is.. What you could do is add a small one or something else that compliments it but smaller.. Sometimes the best looks are not the ones that are super symmetrical... It's often really boring..

A bit of luxury and quirk can really add to the feel of the room. A small low console at the window end and if you wanted to leave the console where it is rather than bring it closer to the sofa.. is entirely what you think you might like.. It means that the mirror would be close to the console and if you didn't want to buy any sideboards.. it would work just as nicely too..

The dining area... If you choose to do it.. I'd say there is room, curtains and rug will look fabulous as they are and offer a rich backdrop to dining.. So I would say if you have an existing dining table and chairs, try it in situ and see what you think.. : ))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Great thanks AJ!! Very clear I will have to work on that and will share with you the output :)
    Just one thing , for the pouffes once armchairs are there I remove the pouffes right?
    For the dining areas I have an existing round table with 4 chairs, the plan is to get a bigger one ( 6 seats), so for the trial should I still try even with the round one or it won't work ?
    Thanks a ton!!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most welcome Sanaa! I think you could sit the pouffes somewhere near but not closing the space.. So they are more relaxed.. maybe 2 in a pile like cushions on a floor, so they are ready to make use of.. Maybe you have children or relatives that come and so the pouffes would be a welcome addition.. You could put them somewhere behind where the armchair will go nearer where the mirror is, and even on the other side nearer the window if you wanted.. Bring them forward when you want to use them.. They are less formal and so they can be more relaxed..

Try the round table with the chairs and see what you think.. You could get a rectangular table to sit 6, that's what I was thinking yes.... Try the round one and find another 2 chairs if you can just to get the idea of 6 seated.. You want to be able to have two at the heads of table and not find that the chair falls off the step at that end.. Also getting round easily to each placement and with drinks and food.... I think you will be fine as it looks like plenty of room to me.. If you wanted to hang a mirror there as well.. It would be rather nice with candlelight.. Is the chandelier there on a dimmer switch? That could also be lovely.. I look forward to seeing what you do next.. Let me know if you want ideas for table and chairs.. : ))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you AJ, I will try the round table and will share with you!
    Will be glad if you can share with me examples of dining tables to fit with the other part of the room so that I m within the same style :) also what type and size of mirror you recommend ? Thanks!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome Sanaa, :)) I had the thought that with the dining area.. With opulent style curtains and an introductions of a lovely mirror.. I thought something sleek and more minimal in design would compliment beautifully and also continue the wood accents that I have included, which also work with the flooring.. I also like the beams over head, which are a really nice architectural detail..

Opting for a glass table top to give a less solid feel to the table I think will be lovely.. Finding wooden chairs as opposed to a more opulent upholstered chair not only sits with the table, but choosing something with curve like the Cherner, with armchair for head of table and an armless style for the rest (2 at either side to seat 6) gives a lovely contrast to the table which has a really simple but beautiful design.

The mirror something rectangular and silvered to compliment the curtains... and hung horizontally roughly at the height of the pictures you have in situ at the moment. Maybe something decorative for the table.. Tried to find an opaque grey glass centrepiece.. Have also included a pendant light for suggestion which would also work in the living room.. So some suggestions for you, which compliment my others that keep to the greys, silvers, woods which would look fantastic and compliment.. :))

hung horizontally
    For the dining room which looks gr8 with the wood and grey curtains. Hang slightly lower for more dramatic effect.. Could continue in the living are as works well with the silvery greys and the flooring... : ))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks a million AJ

!! Very exciting change!

so I have tried the round table on the recess area and need your feedback? I'm sure a rectangular will be much nicer? But overall, do you find it better than the sofa we had before?

Then I thought about what I can do with the sofa I had there and I thought I can use one in the kitchen area where the round table was.... Is it a bad idea?

Your ur feeback is very much awaited :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaa.... I say.... Look at that dining space! : )) The chairs are perfect if you had these already they work beautifully.. I think it's a gr8 transformation, the dining space looks elegant and spacious.. I chose woods to contrast the curtains and offer a different style to compliment all the other pieces I suggested.. but these also work really well with the space and are a more classical look .. If you want a rectangular table to sit more, but either way.. It's looking good!! The seat in the kitchen works really well too so why not keep it there... Put a bigger mirror there or something larger than what is above at the moment..

Very nicely done!! Excellent!!!! : ))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello AJ, after making all the changes I have some doubts that I wanted to discuss with you:
    - removing the sofa and making the dining table is for sure nice but it makes me loose a full sitting area that we use a lot when we have family and guests and I'm afraid that with the new sofa and armchairs it won't be enough..also the problem with the recess area is that the window is tiny hence no light so eating there wasn't the best experience + it was too far from the kitchen.
    - I was wondering if there is a possibility to put a dining table as an extension of the kitchen ( next to the 3 windows) and then put the sofa in the rest of the room ? The room is 6m /5m -
    - what do you think ?

Thanks a lot!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaa, Well one thing that could be minimising the light in the new dining area are the curtains.. They are very full.. I still think the room looks elegant but I did not have the information you are now giving, ie the light and size of the window issue and the amount of people you accommodate..

So the other placement for dining table if you want to be right next to the kitchen would be by the window at the far end as you mentioned.. I was initially thinking you could do that, but the recess seemed a perfect space for formal dining..

It's a bit further away but size wise lent itself very nicely. No harm done... sometimes you have to try something out to see how it works for you.

So what you need to do is change the configuration slightly.. Place the dining table and chairs at the window area.. Place the sofa with it's back to the dining table... Maybe put the console behind it with a large vase or something would be a nice way to break the two areas.. then the rug and coffee table and then the two armchairs.. opposite but facing each other so they don't have their backs to the seating "nook" You could have two more facing the back wall for tv viewing.. So what you create is an open U shape but other way up!

In this way you have a sofa and two armchairs which have a relationship to the seating "nook" then the space is open for more people... Perhaps look at a different arrangement rather than the L shape in the "nook" I think before the seating was quite separated with sofa in main room and quite far from the seating "nook" So this new configuration will definitely feel more together.. Split up the arrangement so that you have seating either side to balance and so people sit opposite as in the main living room.. and possibly add really large cushions to the seating you choose to denote a more relaxed space..

The two areas of the main room will be defined with dining and living at either ends.. You could leave that chair in the kitchen too as I rather think it works.. : ))

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi AJ, thank you for your feedback! I will try and see and will get back to you :)
    Can I ask for your feedback to my bedroom styling it's called " bedroom restyling, help! " that I just posted? Many many thanks as I'm receiving the furniture today :) your feedback is very valuable !! Sanaa
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome Sanaa, I will have a look right now! Bless you, thank you.. I am very happy to hear that! : )) Amber

• sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Many thanks Amber:)
  • sanaabou
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So back to my " stress area" :) which is this living room :)

so have changed again the sitting to put the dining table next to the windows and the sofa behind

the question is how bad is the sofa looking, I'm trying to try with the existing one I have and once I find the right fit I can buy a new one. So finally with the current position its 2 seater behind the Table and 2 seater behind the wall, and where the pouffes is I can put one arm chair as 2 wil be too much

the dining table will be replaced with a rectangular one, but same style in wood and glass that you proposed to me earlier in the recess area?

i have put the console in a nice place in the entrance, I guess it looks nice?

so? Your reco and feedback overall

thanks

sanaa

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sanaa, The dining table looks nice at the window.. I like the two chairs at the side too but equally you could place one either side of the window... Maybe a small picture just above the sockets.. This then frames the window with the table in the middle.. You could then illuminate the right hand corner with a floor lamp.. Not too far in the corner though..

The little table and lamp can then move a bit further along to join the sofa.. Can you move the sofa a bit further away from the dining area, so there is a bigger divide.... With the two sofas.. what about giving them a gap, so the rear sofa moves along to the right a bit more.. Possibly open them up as 2 chairs rather than try to make a sofa out of them.. See how that looks or what you prefer.. Add a few cushions to compliment the colours and an accent colour or two.. Grey like you have with silvers, creams, stone..

With the pouffes don't be afraid to partially place them on top of each other rather than set their place so they can be seen as occasional seating.. or relaxed on the floor watching tv kind of seat.. I see though you are trying to see how an armchair would look.. I think you could go for 1, but absolutely what you have works, so you don't need to rush to replace anything.. See how you feel with it.. There is room for coffee table too if you want it..

The console is nice where you have put it.. It works well with the picture.... It is a perfect entrance.. I would say the picture could go up a little bit.. 10 cm and see how that looks... You want to give it and your family pictures each their space.. Do you see how versatile your furnishings are and if you were to get different sofas you can then see how they can move around..

The chandelier lighting.. you may want to see if you can lower these slightly but if not, just an idea.. You could try the round mirror with the leather strap closer to the dining table.. Then the 3 pictures could then move along a bit and with a small gap between so they sit roughly behind the rear sofa.. Or are they all 1 piece.. A thought if you want to see how that works.. I think the mirror would really look good with the dining table.. Splendid, looking though Sanaa it's taken shape..... ; ))

• tezz4
    6 years ago

You've done really well following dome great advice!!! All you need is some more wall art to cosy up the dining space - like a group of 9 or several random pictures and some mirrors; a console beneath the centre of the window to anchor the room and a standing uplighter at one or both corners.

• PRO
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.