millymoomoo123

Need help for parents living room - where to start

Milly Moo
8 years ago

Hi all

My parents have just moved to a lovely house in Kent, they moved from a typical Victorian house with high ceilings and smaller rooms, to a newer house with lower ceilings but larger rooms in terms of floor space. The pictures I upload are of their new living room with some of their furniture put in place by the removal men. So...any advice appreciated, such as:-

• Where should their furniture go?
  • Should they buy new pieces/remove pieces?
  • The carpet is to go, they want wooden floor, but engineered, or wood or porcelain tiles?
  • The lights are dreadful and will need to change, but my mum has bought two 5 arm chandeliers, which I think will be too low, but she has said if they are the room is big enough for people to walk around them?!?.
  • What about the fireplace?
  • Colour in general of the room?
  • They have placed two rugs in the room to try and make 2 separate seating areas, it doesn't quite work
  • I could go on- I think you get the gist

Im afraid I live in a small Victorian semi and the size of their living room just stumps me. They don't need a dining table/area as they have a dining room too.

They (and me) just don't know where to start- so any and all advice will be very much appreciated.

Although the pictures may not show it, its a large long room with windows to the front (first picture) and a sliding door at the back out towards the patio and then garden (second picture). The end with the sliding door is south facing so is lovely and sunny.

Thanks in advance all

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.