nababa79

How do I make this large kitchen homely?

nababa79
8 years ago
New house and kitchen done by a property developer but want it to be the heart of the home. thank you!

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Nababa79, It will have a much more homey feel the longer you are in the place... I'm guessing you want to have a table and chairs to sit around whilst cooking.. You have two bare walls that you could have pictures, or shelving on if you wanted to display or have useful things available..

You could accent the chrome a bit more which will lift the tiles.. Dualit toaster for me is an absolute must.. It's an iconic and very beautiful design.. Team it with other chrome things.. They do a nice kettle (architect) too, I have not tried it for the spout but I do like to suggest things that compliment..

What about some marble chopping boards or wooden or a mix of both.. You could also accent the door with additional wood such as a butchers block or something.. I try to keep my worktop as minimal as possible.. I have all my crockery on shelving as I have limited cupboards.. They are all white really so it blends with the creamy walls.. You can keep it sleek and functional but also warm and inviting..

Maybe a small sideboard or cabinet on one wall and a table or something nearer the window.. Would you have a dining table somewhere else? If not and it's going in the kitchen.. Wooden with benches can be a nice way to sit more people but have a sleeker seating arrangement that can even be tucked under the table, if you wanted to have an evening with canapes and drinks for example, where standing and mingling would benefit from the floor space.. A mirror could be nice on that back wall too so you get an interesting view from the other end of the kitchen..

I would not opt for the usual suspects like big clocks and that type of thing or wooden letters that say Eat .. Look for ways to make it more unique and functional.. Maybe a large beautiful bowl or something lovely on that end part of the worktop.. Another idea that you might want to consider is some really lovely wall lighting.. There doesn't seem to be a rose for a pendant.. but you could add something lovely. Spotlights don't always lend themselves to softer and inviting lighting.. The extractor might offer some nice lighting - I use mine all the time..

: ))

• Related Discussions

Do I block up large kitchen hatch or open the whole thing up?

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi, before you get the sledgehammer out, there’s a house tour on Stories where they extended but kept the original wall and window as a sort of huge serving hatch. It looks amazing! Just go to Stories above and it’s the first story. Worth a look!
    ...See More

How do I find a worktop for a very large island?

Q

Comments (9)
    Agree with Daisy re laminate Ian deep enough etc We went for quartz which has a slight marble effect. That island is huge! I would advise going for something that’s easy to clean as well as our worktop is a mid grey and only 2.4m wide but it’s hard work cleaning. It’s 1m deep as well which is plenty for seating along the back and with a hob on. If you can only afford laminate then perhaps look at shrinking the depth? I don’t know if they make laminate that length though. Corina might do but ouch, that is so expensive!
    ...See More

How to make a sociable home/kitchen

Q

Comments (18)
    I found the way to get people out of the kitchen and into the living room is to stop them going there in the first place. If I know people are coming for tea, I have the cups, milk, biscuits already laid out on a tray in the living room, so I can get people to sit down and then go off to get the teapot. Family used to come for dinner and often would bring some food that they would take to the kitchen and then end up staying there. Now I take it to the kitchen while I get drinks. Also have drinks set out in the living room ready to pour. My wife also makes sure that she comes out of the kitchen and greets guests and stays for a while - which does mean planning the cooking accordingly. Luckily, with most of our guests, once they are seated with a drink in their hands, they tend to stay put. Ultimately, however, people will want to be wherever you are (you hope, anyway), so if you are in the kitchen, they will gravitate that way. And if you are standing, then they will be more comfortable on the higher stools than more comfortable chairs at a lower level.
    ...See More

How to make small kitchen look large?

Q

Comments (0)
    Basically, I'm living in a nuclear family, I'll make a small house, which I keep to want two living room, one dining, one drawing, and one small kitchen. But I confused, what I take kitchen accessories and kitchen size. That like to see small kitchen but look large. I wat suggestions from an expert that living such as conditions. Erilear Thanks.
    ...See More
  • nababa79
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks guys! lots of great ideas. hadn't thought of a mirror and big clock but I like it! Also the adding colour is a definite must with lighting like the photos. thanks a lot!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello nababa, I actually suggested not choosing things like clocks as they seem to be in every kitchen but if you like the idea.. I did suggest the mirror idea though..

: ))

Also you have definite colours which I think you should work with.. ie the flooring, tiles, worktop, wall colours and cabinet colours. I think accenting these colours rather than introducing any additions.. Woods are also good at creating warmth.. Keeping to fewer colours keeps things complimentary and really stylish.. Also love the flooring.. :) )

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. I'd go for a different colour on the walls to lift the units as there's no contrast at present. It could be a neutral or any colour as it looks as if the room is really light. You could also do an accent ŵall on the entrance ŵall if wanted. I'd probably go for a round table, in wood for more texture, and add some colourful chairs, you seem to like mid century? If it's in budget I would hang a pendant light over the table. I'd also go for chrome accessories to lift the tiles. Maybe a big fruit bowl, potted herbs etc on the worktop and perhaps some staggered shelves on that empty ŵall at the end of the units for Cook books, family pics etc

• Jonathan
    8 years ago

I agree with Minnie. I think the biggest transformation will be by changing colours as it is a little cold at the moment and I am not convinced that accessories are enough to change that feel.

I would replace the lino for a wood effect one. Have the panels striping side to side to visually add width. I might also replace the black wall tiles for a softer colour or white.

I would also paint the walls to get rid of the peach tone in favour of one of several looks:

A warm grey - (don't forget to put a pale grey/nearly white on the ceiling)

Alternatively go white with pops of colour.

A country feel with blues

or a patterned wall paper on two walls and a neutral on two others.

I also agree that a table and chairs would be great. My personal preference would be for something round.

• crowningfashion
    8 years ago

Choose your accent colour and use this as a starting point. At the moment your kitchen is very neutral so whatever colour is your accent colour use this. If you are bold use various shades of one colour or mix and match several colours. The safe way to add colour is through plants/pot plant, rug, art, blinds, plates, cutlery. If you want to throw care to the wind, paint the walls and then mix in your accent colour to contrast. Your kitchen is lovely btw and has lots of potential!

• mrskain1
    8 years ago
    I can't figure out the color of the cabinets and wall. In the photo they look soft yellow but is it really white??
  • PRO
    Sasha Moye Fine Art
    8 years ago

This kitchen has loads of potential! Is there a wall in the eating area that you could put a gas fireplace and mantel? I think a round table is best to fasilitate conversation. A chandelier above, a rug, herbs & plants as well as a few essentials on the counter will add a feeling of home. Of course as an artist I think a piece of uplifting art to brighten everyday is something of great value! Wishing you good times in your new home!

• jamesandcat
    8 years ago

It looks gorgeous! Well jell!

I think once you move in and unpack it will begin to look homely. I'm with the 'add colour' brigade, lots of vibrant shades to complement the black and cream and some of those awesome, leggy, multi-coloured mid century modern dining chairs? Hope it's awesome!

• nababa79
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone, so many great ideas that I wouldn't have thought of! the cabinets and walls are cream coloured. can't wait to get cracking on it now.
  • mrskain1
    8 years ago
    I guess my device is a bit off. I think to soften the black you could also incorporate natural wood elements or also use a bit of strong colour. I agree that once you move in your furniture it won't see so stark. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Revive Your Space
    8 years ago
    Definitely go for wall paint. In almost any colour apart from the cream it is right now! This will set off the cream units and black tops/splashbacks. I don't like the floor, but if it's new I expect you won't want to replace this. I'm thinking pale duck egg walls with darker teal accessories for a more vibrant colour in the space.
  • pollyannagal
    8 years ago
    What a nice bright kitchen. Start by choosing a fabric you love for window treatments. Roman blinds are best for kitchens but you may want curtains in the same fabric for the window in the dining area and also if there is a glazed door to the garden - I would hang curtains on dark metal poles (Cameron Fuller do an excellent range).

Then paint the walls a colour that works with the fabric as the builder's magnolia is rather cold looking. I would stay away from grey on the walls as it would be too much with the floor and kitchen surfaces.

Add a table and chairs. If you are buying new I would go for warm timber like the door to balance the greys in the floor and splashback.

Bring in all your personal bits and pieces and some people and it will be fab!
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Hi Nababa,

Congratulations on your new home. As the kitchen is considered the heart of the home, I can see why you want to make it more homely.

The first thing that struck me when I viewed your photos was how heavy the splash back looked in all black. Since the kitchen appears to be modern (sleek doors) you need to decide what kind of look you want to achieve, contemporary or more eclectic. There are some lovely patchwork tiles available just now in cream and black or mixed colours. This would add some pattern an lightness to the work area.

Any wall colour would go with black and white unless you go too dark. With your cream cabinets, a colour like Cooking Apple or Pavilion Gray by Farrow & Ball will work well with b & w. If you change to coloured tiles, choose one of the colours to paint your walls.

Alternatively, choose a wall colour that is 2-3 shades darker than your cabinets. Then add artwork to the wall with the door. The wall at the end of the run of units could have either more artwork or a bookshelf for cookbooks and kitchenalia.

• Jackie Hales
    8 years ago
    Why don't you add banquet seating and an eclectic assortment of vintage chairs around a vintage table, that would make the space feel more homely?
  • PRO
    Joanna of Bath
    8 years ago

Hi, you have a great canvas to work with. I know it's all new but I would have a think about the black tiles. That's a big chunky strip,of black with the surfaces as well. You could perhaps paint them and pop a seal over the top. Perhaps match this with the accent colour you choose. Good luck and have fun.

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I agree re the black tiles, I would consider taking them off and replacing with something lighter and friendlier.

Adding some ornaments on top of the shelves would brighten it up too, as well as accessories and furniture as suggested above.

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

I think it needs wood. It's very monochrome and shiny and I think removing the tiles would work wonders. Decide if you want to crank up the colour or the texture. Personally I think texture adds warmth and much needed character to new builds. I would go for stone tiles (metro might look a bit shiny and regular), a wood floor, wood table and white 60's chairs. Add lots of art and paint the walls a warm grey/stone colour.

• Lauren
    8 years ago

I agree with the 'its to stark and cold' brigade. Personally I'd replace the black backsplash tiles with something lighter - pale grey or white. Paint the walls in a complimentary light colour scheme. Replace the upper cabinets with wooden open long shelving to display lots of lovely white wear etc. Add a large sisal flat rug with table and chairs on top. Artwork on the walls and you're done!

• pollyannagal
    8 years ago
    It's great that you are getting lots of ideas here but perhaps you could give us an indication of how much you are able to spend on new purchases and changes to the room. Most of us don't have a lot of spare cash left when buying a new property so replacing the splashback, flooring, kitchen units etc may not be in the budget at this stage. Are you looking for major overhaul of the kitchen or some simple, inexpensive ideas to get you going when you move in and get a better feel for your new home. Also an indication of your preferred style would help guide the suggestions.
  • kazza_hayward
    8 years ago

I agree with everyone who says re-think the black tiles. That's the first thing that hit me as being too heavy when I viewed your photo. Really love the bright room though and the cabinets. It looks a fab sized room too! I also agree that some nice colourful blinds (and maybe curtains if you have patio doors) will really soften and make the room more homely.

• nababa79
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    pollyannagal thank you...would be the later inexpensive ideas to spruce it up a bit. wouldn't redo the floor but could do the titles and paint. Love retro styles, mid century/Scandinavian or modern.
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    8 years ago

Congratulations on the new house! You have a lovely "blank canvas" to work from, so I guess one aspect is how much you want to spend/change. If funds permit and you don't mind ditching something new (I know I would struggle personally!) then, as others have suggested, I would consider replacing the black tiles. Otherwise, I'd be looking for ways to tone down the black and add an accent. If it were me, I'd be bold and go for a bright red and then accessorise using that as the theme - stylish toaster/kettle/coffee machine and tea/coffee/sugar jars in red and a hint (or more!) of red in curtains or blinds. To tone down the black tiles, why not consider putting in a nice stainless rail and then attaching knives, spices etc to it? A little greenery or fresh flowers will soften everything, as will fabric runners or placemats on a dining table, or a feature fruit bowl. You certainly have some nice wall space for some great art - something vibrant with your accent colour again, if you are brave! Poppies, when used sparingly, can make for a lovely splash of bright interest in a kitchen.

Have fun!!

• Judith Evans
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi - how I envy you that big kitchen; mine is tiny. I went for a warm cream with a splashback in bright red. You could perhaps add bright red accessories?

I would go for a slightly darker, warmer shade of the walls, I would put large, bright ornaments on top of the cupboards (I particularly like hens and roosters) - they do need to be big though, otherwise they'll get lost.

I'm sure you're going to have a table and chairs; my choice would be light wood, round, and maybe brightly coloured chairs to contrast the black tiles. Or, you go opt for a corner seating arrangement with comfy upholstered seating and bright cushions.

Plants are an absolute must for me and that corner, to the left of the door, is crying out for a beautiful palm.....that is, if you don't opt for the corner seating! I would then place my plant(s) at, or near, the end of your counter.

There are some very realistic "fake" candles around now - I have two which I've put into Moroccan style lamps which are only about 10 - 12" high. One sits of the floor, the other on a small table; they're pretty through the day and at night they flicker and cast patterns on the walls.

I wish you well with whatever your choices - have fun and play around with it.

• Marie Wright
    7 years ago

I think it looks a great place to start from. How about adding a central island unit and large mirror on the same wall as the door and a big palm in a pot in the corner of the same wall. Once you have added your kettle and toaster in there and moved in, it will look much more homely. Enjoy.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.