persqm

Ideas for dealing with Planning Condition on Obscure Glazed Windows

PerSqM
8 years ago

We have received planning permission for our renovation but with a slightly challenging condition:

New window openings in the North East elevation and situated on the first floor should be constructed so that no part of the framework less than 1.7m above finished floor level shall be openable and any part below that level should be fitted with obscure glazing.

This is to resolve the issue of neighbouring property privacy. There are 3 windows across one side of the house which this condition affects:

- one of the windows affected is a stairway landing window

- the second affected window is the NE facing window of a large main bedroom which will have two other large unrestricted windows SE facing

- the third affected window is the only window in a spare room / study

Solutions sought to deal with all following:

- the main issue is the spare room/study window as this is the only possible window in the room

- whichever solution is applied needs to consider how they will look from outside (eg we considered modern stained glass for the stairway landing window but then worry that this will not match the other two windows from outside) and from inside

- the windows (just to make it a little more challenging still) are dormer windows, so not huge amounts of space and ceiling height to play with.

Any ideas? Attached pic hopefully makes above a bit clearer.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.