memyshell

Layout dilemma - best use of space and rooms? Save me !!

memyshell
8 years ago

Hi fellow houzz members. I recently bought a house which was in desperate need of modernisation and remodeling. Currently I am planning a ground floor rear extension and a loft conversion. My dad is project managing the build and is adamant that his layout and ideas would be the preference for many, but I disagree and am struggling to persuade him. In terms of use of the house - I intend to live there and rent out a couple of spare bedrooms. Then in about 10 yrs time sell it. I've included a picture of what my dad is planning:

Ground floor: He wants the ground floor front room to be a bedroom with ensuite. Currently there is no ensuite, it's just a cupboard under the stairs. He wants the 'middle' room to be the kitchen, which then leads to the further rear room which becomes the diner/living room. I really don't like this layout. I much prefer having the kitchen face the garden, and to get the most light. I also want the middle room to be either the living room or the 'spare' room (could be a bedroom). But i dont want the bathroom to be an ensuite for the bedroom, I want it to be bathroom for all to use.

1st floor : in the picture there are 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. But my dad has knocked down the main wall of the small bedroom to merge with the master bedroom, and he will convert the small room into an ensuite. Similarly, for the second large bedroom he wants to merge that with the current bathroom to make it into another ensuite. So on this floor - essentially he wants two double bedrooms with their own ensuites.

Loft conversion : this will become a bedroom with an ensuite

Conclusion: I really do not want 4 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms (I bought it as a 3 bed house with a bathroom) but I am struggling to get my views taken into consideration. I am wondering if I am wrong though?? I would like to see 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for everyone's use. But i cannot determine what the best layout would be. Grateful for views for the best layouts for the ground and 1st floor? What is everyone's personal preferences? I'd like the best use of space and get as much light into rooms as possible, but also for it to be appealing so I can get some room mates. But I'd like to be able to easily sell in future.

thanks and sorry for going on for so long.

Comments (19)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.