persqm

Not Quite So Open Plan Kitchen + Diner + Lounge

PerSqM
8 years ago

We are rebuilding and will have a space of c. 8.3m x 8.5m at the back of the new house facing SE Garden into which we would like to fit our kitchen, diner and informal lounge area.

We would like to achieve probably too much with the space and are not sure where to compromise:

- want to have a semi-open plan arrangement but also want to block off the kitchen cooking area from the lounge in terms of sight, smell, noise etc.

- we are quite big into cooking so quite a lot of smell, noise etc could come from kitchen. Because of this, we feel the modern very open plan look won't quite work ... our fridge will have more raw meat in it than trendy looking champagne ;)

- would however be happy with semi-open plan as do not want to have small rooms

- kitchen should feel spacious and communal

- happy to have dining table in full view of kitchen. We have a large drop leaf dining table (http://www.ligne-roset.co.uk/Products/dining/tables/Cineline_1275.aspx) so this needs to be accommodated

- living space will be used for daily relaxation, catching up with visiting friends and daily TV dinners (!)

Attached is one plan ... but we are not sure if the proposed dimensions of kitchen will make it feel quite narrow and not large open-plan?

We like the idea of bifold doors onto the garden (which is not very deep at all), so would benefit from the option of opening the house out into it to create the feeling of a larger outdoor space.

Any ideas welcome! All internal walls can be reconfigured and the playroom is not necessary as a separate room but we would like somewhere defined for the kids to play and store all the stuff!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.