laurelefay

Period dining room ideas.

Laura Taylor
8 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have not long moved into a Victorian terrace which used to be part of an old brewery. It has many character features I'm just not sure how to make the most of them! We painted everywhere white before we moved in so we had a blank canvas, now it just feels lifeless. I would like the room to feel cosy and keeping in with the style of the house. We're pretty skint and most things in our home are second hand or upcycled! I don't mind painting the walls but rewallpapering would be too much for us at the minute. Any ideas are most welcome thanks so much, please excuse the clutter!

Comments (28)

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. The rooms looks really bright so it looks as if it can handle any colour. Which way does the room face? What are your favourite colours and what have you used elsewhere or is it all white? You could paint the cornicing and skirting boards in a couple of shades darker than the ŵall. Or you could put a darker shade on the chimney breast to make that stand out. As its a dining room you could go more dramatic if you wanted. I would also paint the shutters and door which would be in keeping with the period. Did you add the radiator cover? Do you know what condition the floorboards are in?

• PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 years ago

Hello Laure, your house has great proportions and looks incredibly light and airy. I would consider putting up some large bright cheerful pictures on the walls. You could also think about creating a photo wall using your favourite photos, perhaps in black and white, easy to do and very effective. I like Minnie's idea about checking the floorboards too, colourful rugs are always a good addition and look great on floorboards.

• Related Discussions

Need help with design ideas for my living/dining room

Q

Comments (16)
    Have you thought of rearranging the furniture so the tv isn't the focal point? Furniture against walls can make a room appear smaller. If the budget permits I would add a coffee table to bring furniture into the middle of the room. I would also add a mirror to the dining area to bounce light and maybe install a low hanging pendant light over the table. I would also choose a neutral coloured rug as using a single colour for an item becomes the focal point. Grey is a good modern neutral for walls. If you want to use paper on a smaller wall choose a small pattern that won't date unless you don't mind repapering to keep it up to date. There are some really fantastic papers around at the moment such as chinoiserie, bold contemporary and typography but it depends on your preferred style? Maybe use plain (not patterned as this may date or your taste will change) velvet or silk curtains to soften the room. Use different colours and textures for the accessories to avoid block colours as per comment above. Pattern/interest can also be added in the form of wall art.
    ...See More

Period fireplace hearth ideas

Q

Comments (4)
    How are you with painting?? If the surface smooth enough it could work well, then you can have the designs that you want at the cost of two pots of paint and some masking tape! A little time consuming perhaps but very cheap. My wife, has painted concrete several times for clients. She's painted concrete on a chimney stack to mimic old reclaim bricks and mortar where someone did a patch job, and even a circular pond on a patio ( fake obviously ). Givei it a go.
    ...See More

Period living room

Q

Comments (37)
    Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Minnie- I guess it is a transitional look! I had to google it to find out what that was. Ha! ED- I will definitely be adding more colour into the room, just wanting to complete the main bit of furniture. I have moved the sofas forward a few inches as previously suggested and it definitely looks better. Carolina- thankyou for the link to the website. Hoping to complete the room over the next few months. Will update you all when it’s complete. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions
    ...See More

Dining room/sitting/play room ideas please

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Jen, This is right up my alley!! I love solving multi purpose family problems. Do you need to have the room be a play room, chill out room and dinning room with the storage to accommodate toys and chill out items as well as dinning room items?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 years ago

Have a look at this, simple and colourful

Vintage meets contemporary with a colourful, quirky twist · More Info

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for your comment Minnie! The rooms gets flooded with light in the morning it's lovely! I'm not big into anything to colourful and tend to prefer darker shades, we have a light grey and red theme in the back room which makes the exposed brickwork and log burner stand out beautifully. We only changed the carpet last week, we thought about having just the floorboards but then we would have no carpet at all downstairs as everywhere else is tiled. I've thought of maybe painting the alcoves a different colour as we are planning to put shelves in the smaller alcove and hopefully find a second hand sideboard for the larger alcove. The house is rather bare at the minute, we are first time buyers and never having to decorate before I'm a little overwhelmed!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your comments Reed Harris Tiles! I like the idea of using a little bit of colour in some nice artwork, although a little bit of an introvert and tend to stick to darker tones! As I mentioned in my previous comment the carpet is brand new, we have the old tiles in the hallway, tiles in the kitchen and also the living room, so I wanted to have at least one room carpeted downstairs!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Laure. It does look lovely and bright. Blues and greens tend to work In East facing rooms. As you like grey I'd go for a grey with either a blue or green undertone. You could go for farrow and ball lamp room grey on the walls and ceiling, with stiffkey blue on the fire and ammonite on skirts and cornicing. ( pics to follow). If lamp room is too strong you could go for a paler shade and if the blue is too rich you could go for a darker charcoal or with a much subtler blue undertone. If their paint is too dear you can get it colour matched. Would you paint the shutters and fire surround? I understand re carpet, just thought I'd ask as I love a floorboard!

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Pics

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your ideas Minnie I'll be sure to have a look at that range of paint! I don't think we would paint the shutters or fire surround as they match our table and doors! I have seen painted fire surrounds though and think they look lovely so I may change my mind!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Also the colour in the first photo is lovely!!
  • S L
    8 years ago

I would use some lovely traditional paint colour to enhance the features. Good luck it looks a lovely home x

• minnie101
    8 years ago

They do lots of lovely colours that would suit but they are dear. Either find one you like and get it coloured matched or people can help to find something very similar! Valspar do a great range of colours and they also do a chalky finish

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much Susan!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's a wonderful idea Minnie, I pay have to pop into B&Q after work!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Laure,

Little Greene are a good paint company too you may want to have a look at while you are in B&Q or Homebase..

Some really lovely features there.. Chimney breast would be nice painted.. and leave the alcoves light.. Or consider going a darker palette and paint all the woodwork a darker colour of the selected wall colour.. I too love a floorboard and have not had carpet for 15 years... A lovely look is to paint the floor a colour to match the walls... I have white but would like to change them to a darker colour..... A mirror would be nice over the mantel and group the candlesticks together and the hearth free...

Don't worry about a lack of money.. I did my place with very very little.. You have to be resourceful, it's harder to create something with less.. but it's not impossible at all! Take 1 room at a time, think if you want a theme throughout or if you want each room to have it's own character. It's good to paint white first.. It makes things easy actually to really see what's going on in each room.. . .. : ))

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for your ideas Amber I'll be sure to have a look at B&Q! I have been searching for a large circular or oval mirror for over the fireplace, it is rather cluttered at the moment it's currently just a dumping ground! I've been thinking a nice green may look nice on the chimney breast or in the alcoves.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Laure,

For mirrors try antiques, charity shops, or ebay could be a good resource.. Sometimes you can find a gem in places that you might not consider.. Do like green, Invisible green by LG is a nice one.. It's a greyish green from what I can see on the chart... I'd do the chimney breast and then decide if you want to have a darker theme.. In which case choose a complimentary but slightly lighter green to compliment that which you choose.. Arm yourself with a load of tester pots and paint them on pieces of paper around the room..

Look at the light and also think of the woodwork... Could you go green here too? One idea is to do the whole lot.. See the image below.. OR create something similar with either darker wood work or a light creamy colour.. Whitening by LG is really good for the ceiling..

If you're keeping the knob in the shutters.. It's a tiny detail but if you aren't intending to paint the shutters have a wooden knob or paint it the same colour or have them bare, someone may have added them. It's not so important really.. I just noticed them : ) ) Greens work really beautifully with dark woods and old golds.. or old nickel candlesticks... that sort of thing.. Very exciting project you have.. : ))

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Amber, that green is lovely, just the kind of colour I was thinking of! The mirror is beautiful too, I check in my local charity shops quite often as I'm looking for a unit to keep all my craft supplies. I'm not sure about painting the woodwork I'll have a look at some photos on here and see how it looks, we haven't changed anything in the room other than the carpet and painted the walls and radiator white, it's a white porcelain knob on the shutters like the doors but I have thought of perhaps brass? But I like your idea of maybe just having wooden ones, I've seen painted fire surrounds before and think they look lovely I'm not sure if I'm brave enough! I'm also planning on repainting the hearth tiles as they're all faded, just deciding again on what colour as I'm not keen on the red.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Laure,

Welcome! Another possibility is finding the right shape mirror and then painting it or giving it a bit of gold leaf or not even gold..maybe a charcoal black would be fabulous... Brass and Copper are lovely for accessories too. Most of the shutters I have seen have no knob.. it's quite nice that way, it's what I was really suggesting.. but if keeping... then having less visibility is nice here..

Have a look at lots of images and see what you think.. you could do it in stages..but it's perhaps easier to do it all at once.. Yes I don't think those tiles on the hearth are original but painting is a good idea.. matt black or charcoal if the original design is not present underneath... With the fireplace etc you can always address it l8r.. Start with the wall colour and then add to it as you decide what sort of look you want....... : ) )

• joheydon
    8 years ago

Carry on Painting! Do the doors and shutters in white matt, the stripped pine looks heavy and old-fashioned and will detract from the paintings and mirrors you are going to use! I think I would also paint the wall lights or replace them if you can - or if all else fails shade the light. It's a great room, you'll make it greater! Jo Heydon

• User
    8 years ago
    I noticed a bit of yellow in the fire place and red in the hearth. Not sure if this will help but I've just finished a computer room in my house with Hot Sand from the Homebase Sanctuary range. It's warm and neutral and your furniture is a similar colour to mine. No worries if it's not your thing .....
  • Lo Blattner
    8 years ago

Hi Laure,

I guess it comes down to personal taste but I'm a big fan of white painting everything, quite literally brightens my day, particularly in winter. And a white backdrop allows you to introduce colour in a more flexible way. So thumbs up for that. My recommendation would be (might be repeating what others have suggested already): 1) remove the carpets + sand and varnish/paint the floorboards underneath, if in a bad state consider lino/vinyl as an affordable alternative - either plain or patterned:

2) consider painting the wooden shutters and fireplace 3) as most others suggested, browse charity shops, reclamation yards and Ebay for art, mirrors etc and not only look at what it is but also what it could be if you repurpose or paint it. Putting frames up in clusters is great, I personally prefer large canvas - with a bit of confidence you can create abstract art yourself 4) add flowers or potted plants 5) finally, lighting is everything. Go for indirect lighting, invest in multiple light sources and go for dimmers.

From what I can tell the room's key asset isn't size but its comfy atmosphere - try to highlight that by working with a 'less is more' attitude. I would focus on lighting, flowers and one or two striking pieces.

(-> Ignore my carpet comment, I read above that they're brand new)

Good luck!

• Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks again Amber for all your great advice, I've had a good look through some images and think painting the woodwork might be a good start!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much Jo! I'm not sure we could change the lights just yet but I hope to in the future we also have an original ceiling rose unfortunately there's no wiring from it so we can't have a working light hanging from it just yet! Thanks again for your advise!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much fizzfan! I love the warmth in that colour, your room looks so cosy!
  • Laura Taylor
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much Rory, I think we have decided to paint the woodwork and perhaps leave the walls a white for now, as we would like to change the wallpaper in the future! I love flowers and houseplants and have plenty in the rest of the house so the room will definitely be getting some colour in it. As for artwork I'm a huge fan of a lovely Swedish illustrator called Naomi Nowak and hope to buy a few of her beautiful prints soon, grouping them together is a great suggestion thanks so much for taking the time to comment!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most welcome Laure, Once you start something you'll see how quickly things begin to take shape.. : ))

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

It's a lovely room, Laure, filled with light and still with Victorian mouldings and architectural woodwork. Judging by your furniture, this style seems to appeal strongly to you.

Looking at the decorative tiles of your fireplace, and to coordinate to your carpet, consider green for the walls. Of the Farrow and Ball paint colours, Green Blue, Lulworth Blue, and Picture Gallery Red introduce colour to the room, appear to coordinate to your carpet and also work with the tiles.

The quarry tile hearth should be replaced with black slate, if you can stand that cost. As for painting the woodwork, including doors, shutters and fire surround, they would have initially been painted. If you go for a rich colour on the walls, keep the woodwork a natural or antique white. If you use Green Blue or Lulworth Blue, you can use either on the ceiling as well. Painting the ceiling red would be very brave! The coving should be treated in the same colour as the woodwork.

Unless you need the ledge provided by the radiator cover or you have a toddler who can burn himself, lose the cover. The radiator can be painted the same colour as the wall to blend in (heat resistant paint).

Please post the results, when you've finished the room. We'd all like to see what you decided to do. Have fun.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.