alikom

Something's not right, but what?

mukanal M
8 years ago
Dear houzzers, can you please tell me what you think about my living room. I'm planning to also buy arc floor lamp to place one side of the sofa and large plant at another, canvas will be hang on on the wall. What do you think about my choice of cushions (colour and pattern). Do you think cushion, rug and curtain (although only temporary) patterns are too matchy matchy? Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a lot

Comments (35)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    8 years ago
    Needs an orange or yellow armchair
    mukanal M thanked Sort Our Stuff
  • PRO
    JMW Interiors
    8 years ago
    I think the problem is the rug. Could you use it elsewhere in the house? Everything else in the room is calm and flowing. The rug pattern makes the floor look cluttered. Something textural in a soft beige would look lovely. I also think the canvasses are a bit small for the space on their own. Could you group them with the other pictures to form a larger group?
    mukanal M thanked JMW Interiors
  • Related Discussions

Something doesn't feel right..

Q

Comments (30)
    A brick wall talking!!!! This has made me chuckle!!! Margo, I saw that Tom had commented after me asking what the home owners did in the end!!! I thought, at first, ' hang on a minute! They have hardly had time to make a cup of coffee and read their Houzz thread!' Then it suddenly dawned on me and I scrolled back to see that this was in fact a two year old thread and I had put such a comprehensive reply on it.... as if my life depended on it! Never mind! Maybe the owner will revisit and post an after pic one day soon!
    ...See More

Kitchen: It needs something but what?

Q

Comments (57)
    WOW, what amazing ideas - who's up for forming an Interior Design Company around the UK - could be great fun! One thing not mentioned is that I would move the microwave immediately and put it where it has work surface at each side for safety. Where the micro was put a huge shallow glass brightly coloured bowl (TK Maxx/Ikea) and fill with either different coloured glass 'eggs' - Murano, Caithness etc, adding from each holiday or, which I've also done, fill with coloured crystal bauble string lights - I just drop them in and switch on when I feel like it. I've just bought a stunning Lava lamp - pink for my kitchen - tho' they come in a number of colours. There are some really funky fish tanks around too. I have a pink one shaped like a cats head ( lol as I have cats) and a square one, very architectural, with viewing 'shapes' cut out. They're no more then 6 inches high and some colourful fish prefer to be solo, or would you kill them along with the plants? Lol. Hope you manage to find great advice from all who answered you. Bee
    ...See More

Something not quite right... But what?!!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi. It's a very pretty room. I'd turn the table the other way and pull it out from the ŵall. I think ŷou need a couple more display shelves of different lengths so they're staggered. Maybe pop a couple of pieces of art on them. I'd pop the plant in the corner and add a couple of green cushions to the bench. Have you thought of pendant lights over the bar? Maybe something in metal? It's hard to see the kitchen but maybe bring in some more of the country elements? The clock frame also looks a little dark so would consider painting it and maybe hang it central to the radiator cabinet?
    ...See More

What is the right sofa for this family room??

Q

Comments (13)
    Still can't see the picture of the actual space....................................................................................................... On the posting subject, i have re-emailed support, they gave me a case number weeks ago, but just never got a reply. I tried all sorts yesterday, different browsers, Opera, Firefox, even Edge ( grudgingly ), tried different formats, jpg, png................nothing worked, really slow, just crashed constantly. Hopefully we'll get it sorted soon.
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Does the rug fit the other way round under the sofa feet? id go for plain curtains in the ŵall colour that are hung 1/4 inch or so over the floor as they're encroaching on the floor space a little. I like the idea of an inky blue ŵall, perhaps add some interesting copper metal art to it and use the pictures elsewhere as they're a little small for over the sofa. It does need a warmer colour so would add more copper and even a little blush pink. Would also add a couple of darker cushions to your existing. I don't think I'd go for a floor lamp and plant as it may feel a little crowded, instead accessorise the coffee table

mukanal M thanked minnie101
  • headers13
    8 years ago

I would change the coffee table as I don't feel the leg colour goes with the rug. Swop the rug around as Minnie says. change the patterned cushions to plain & just have different shades of blue but with interesting textures. Much bigger pictures over the sofa maybe a large then couple of medium frames in a group. Plain curtains. I also agree no floor lamp or plant. Maybe a small side table with a lamp on it if you want to read whilst on the sofa.

mukanal M thanked headers13
  • PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

I personally like it, however I would go for plain curtains. These images I have collected for you are all eclectic style living rooms. As you see they are quite bold and if that is your style be brave and go for it. What is missing to me is probably more colour. You could choose to go for blue wall, or create a feature wall. The first image and last one shows blue walls and I think the overall look is just fantastic, also for the mix and match of colours.

If I was you I would consider adding red, yellow or orange.

An other good idea is repeating elements; I like the style of your coffee table, maybe you could add a floor lamp with similar style, copper, large framed artwork.

I also like that the rug matches your cushions. Your rug needs to be turned other way around for a tidier layout.

StJames Design Interiors

• Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    Beautiful room! Your rug is gorgeous! I would put a few cushions in plain pastel colours, made of linen: blush pink, greys, blue, pale yellow... And would keep your lovely blue throw. Look at Ferm living or bloomingville for inspiration! X
    mukanal M thanked Emmanuelle
  • honeypoppet
    8 years ago

Definitely agree that some yellow/orange is needed....maybe one of the walls or the curtain?

mukanal M thanked honeypoppet
  • deedoyle80
    8 years ago
    Wall behind sofa needs a contrasting colour to sofa. Rug should be under the sofa. Floor lamp and table at end of sofa needed. It's very disconnected as is.
    mukanal M thanked deedoyle80
  • Ash McGregor
    8 years ago

I'd pick up the blue in your rug and put it on some of the walls. A large floor lamp and large mirror or picture behind the sofa would help

mukanal M thanked Ash McGregor
  • Mystic Home
    8 years ago

for me the walls look cold, painting one dark would make it more interesting.

the canvas are too low and too small and for me there are not having an impact as a background anyway. Maybe a pair of large round mirrors in brass would be better? the rug is good as it add interest to the rather bland walls.

you need at least one floor light if not 2, but one small side table with a light on could also really lift the space.

mukanal M thanked Mystic Home
  • Susan Flavin
    8 years ago

I should be working but I saw this on FB and couldn't resist. People were saying there is 'nothing right' about this room. Harsh! I think some different art on the wall (a collection of interesting & simlar shaped objects) will break up the negative space on the wall. I like how this collection of mirrors bring in the browns/bronzes of the lamp and the table and brings some earthy-ness into the space which before was too clinical. At the moment, the square sea-inspired art is a bit too 'doctors waiting room' (the paintings themselves are lovely, just not here perhaps). The arch lamp with the bronze/gold inside the dome echoes the bronze coffee table, which frankly, I love. So, small fix: change the art, get a lamp.

mukanal M thanked Susan Flavin
  • PRO
    Designer Academy Studios
    8 years ago

Add some warmth and a nice focal point as in the large colourful picture above the sofa. Team it with colourful cushions , some green and a nice lamp :)

mukanal M thanked Designer Academy Studios
  • Victoria Luckie
    8 years ago

I dislike everything so may not be the best person to comment. This room has zero personality and is pulling in different directions taste wise. If you like graphic patterns I'd burn the rug or paint the floor black, white or a bright primary colour that goes with the rug and do it properly. I hate the rug. If you love and want to keep the rug, you could keep the coffee table and cushions / or get better ones but lose the curtains and the blue pictures and group plainer black and white more graphic images / frames and mirrors. The light idea works. Or give the coffee table away and get a glass one or one with more magazine / book / display compartments. Introduce some more cushions and some objects and personality (if you chose the rug get advice on this from a friend whose taste you like) go for bigger pictures / a grouping of pictures / full length mirror on the wall by where the curtains currently are and either replace with dark wooden blinds, co-ordinating shutters or curtains in a plainer, better quality fabric but with a better quality finish (get cushion covers made to match and a small occasional table. If you are doing the graphic thing and using a bright primary colour on the floor or accents stick to one and make it warm (bright red, acid yellow etc).

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

I do not agree with the last comment, especially not with the part saying that this room has no personality. It is working out now!

The owner may like minimalist, industrial or Scandinavian style. These are all quite minimal design concepts. These interiors are not cluttered, they can be also mixed.

This living room could feature eclectic or contemporary style where this rug is absolutely fashionable at the moment, the coffee table is minimal/contemporary style, so again these work together. The curtain doesn't fit in.

Adding a bit more cushions and bringing a bit more personality in will help. Be bold and brave, add some striking pieces of decoration, consider adding more framed artworks.

I love eclectic style, and I do believe it works well. Add some interesting piece of furniture. Perhaps an armchair or something contemporary..

StJames Design Interiors

mukanal M thanked Akiva Projects Ltd
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Aliya,

Yes... you are still in the putting together stage which is why the canvases are perched against the wall and sitting on the sofa top (those could go either side of the window..... So people criticising a look is not helpful to anyone! Not to mention etiquette and all that.. The room will have personality when it is finished.. Rooms are like palettes and need to be layered up to achieve the desired result.... Even pared down interiors can be highly striking, and minimal is as much an impact as any other if you know how to achieve that, as they are as much "curated" as I like to say.. as any other..but the idea being effortless with any interior...

I think the curtains are fine and they are floor length which is good but more importantly they are blending with the room and walls.. .. Sarah's roomscape has some lovely ideas.. Love the floor lamp! The mirrors are a fabulous touch for bringing texture to the walls to compliment and contrast the rug Geometric meets Opulence and works very nicely.... Very simply put together as the least work with the most impact. Now that surely has to be a gr8 way forward.. Simplicity is key! : ))

mukanal M thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • mukanal M
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I really do appreciate your comments and constructive criticism. This room is still work in progress. I live in a small one bedroom flat and try to work on a budget as I don't see myself living here for too long, thus try not to over invest. I cannot for some reason upload pictures from the web houzz, but when I get home will upload pictures of my original mood board and consequent changes. I will change curtains to plain white or grey and see how they would look (these are temporary though until I find what I really like). My prior choice of prints for the wall was larger (one is seen at the corner of the picture), but actual colour turned out to be quite different from what was advertised. The canvases are original and are slightly bigger than shown as some part is hidden behind sofa cushions. They are however still smaller than I need them to be. Rug (which I liked before) may be a bigger problem, but cannot change it at the moment. I'm also looking for different cushion (plain) now. I do like the idea of adding some colour and was thinking of introducing some cerise pink through cushions, however not so sure how to do it with my current combination of canvas and rug. Anyways, pictures to follow :)

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

You obviously like the rug otherwise you wouldn't have bought it so you need to find a way of making this work. I agree that darkening the back wall would help, but I think a warmer tone with texture would work. How about papering the back wall with natural grasscloth wallpaper? 1 roll would be enough and would provide the correct tone to tie it together. I would also group the pictures together or just hang a huge rustic mirror behind the sofa. This image shows the wallpaper, it comes in different tones and colours. Good luck with it.

NBC's American Dream Builders · More Info

mukanal M thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Sue Dadds
    8 years ago

Hi, I think you need a colour on the walls and maybe a big mirror x

mukanal M thanked Sue Dadds
  • headers13
    8 years ago

I love the various mirrors idea you could go to charity shops/car boots to look for some & then spray the frames ? George at Asda do a great grey cushion with a copper star on it for around £10. I would get it myself if the star was silver ! You can do things quite cheaply if you shop around on e-bay/Google etc just takes some time. Good luck.

mukanal M thanked headers13
  • PRO
    Prestige Maintenance Ltd
    8 years ago

I would say the curtains are too long for this room. Maybe change the direction that the couch is facing to face the window as well? I would replace the rug with a smaller one to save space in the room, maybe a grey rug to match with the furniture and canvases!

mukanal M thanked Prestige Maintenance Ltd
  • doristhedinnerlady
    8 years ago
    Hi Aliya, as you are on a budget I would go with some of the helpful suggestions made. Pick the dark blue from the rug and use this colour on the back wall behind sofa. I would also turn the rug around 90 degrees, so it goes slightly under sofa. You could also dye the curtains, maybe rusty orange? Use the canvas art work on the smaller wall by the window. I think a floor lamp in copper would look great also. Maybe a few more cushions in plain copper, dark blue to add to existing.
    mukanal M thanked doristhedinnerlady
  • doristhedinnerlady
    8 years ago
    Something like this would work maybe?

Queenscorp Condo · More Info
    mukanal M thanked doristhedinnerlady
  • bookworm987
    8 years ago

Firstly, those paintings are beautiful but sadly will be lost on that wall. They might be better appreciated in a different area of your home.

i wonder how you use this room? If you sit here to chat with friends, a small sofa or large chair opposite the window would help the space to feel cosier.

i love your colour scheme so far, but it would come to life with an injection of red - any shade. This could be in cushions, throws, artwork....

lastly, I agree with some previous comments about the length of the curtains, I prefer them shorter. Long curtains can look a little messy.

mukanal M thanked bookworm987
  • mukanal M
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hello everyone, attaching some pictures of my design evolution... It's been changing over time.
    1. Original mood board
    2. Frame Print from John Lewis (considered but didn't buy)
    3. Prints which I selected but turned out to be of a different colour in real life
    4.Real life prints when delivered :(
    5. My current canvasses with different cushions

I'm reconsidering framed print from picture 2 and also thinking of adding a picture ledge.
  • Victoria Luckie
    8 years ago

Those pictures look better but are still overwhelmed by the rug. The blue cushions work but the rug doesn't. I'm not sure re the pink cushion idea and need lighting. One pink cushion does not an eclectic scheme make. It is however much improved. If you are on a budget I would sell the rug and replace it with a plain coloured one.

I don't think I agree with the person from St James on room proportions, though many of their designs have individually nice pieces.

• lindalovie55
    8 years ago

lose curtains and try chunky white wooden blinds.maybe large mirror or orange and blue canvas above sofa choose long tube shaped floor light in orange 1970 style.

• mukanal M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hello houzzers, I've taken some recommendations into consideration and this is what I've got now. Please be kind, this is still not finished. What accent colour would you suggest? Im thinking of having grey cushions and ottoman in accent colour. Because this overall looks a bit empty I will also add side tables on both sides of the sofa; but cannot decide what else to add on the walls: either swing arm lamps (examples attached) on both sides of the art serge mouille replica (attached) on the left wall. Thank you.
  • mukanal M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Pictures
  • mukanal M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Mouille replica
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Aliko,

The room is coming together and I like the pattern of the print on the wall.. Why not look at including some of these lovely colours.. Some purple and even the greens would work with the grey scheme.. Think of cushions and other soft furnishings in similar print to compliment.. For cushions some block colours in the above could be really striking too.. Also layer throws on the sofa arms and think of textures...

The lights you have chosen I like.. There's a black and gold wall hung anglepoise I love, so I like these styles.. You can also use them in many ways by directioning the light to suit the mood.. Enjoy your space and you may find it grows and adapts for a while as you become used to it.. :))

• mukanal M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you AJ Interior Styling for recommendations and kind words :) colour blocking cushions look so sophisticated!!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Aliko,

Most welcome and see look at that.. :))

• Anna Siodelska
    7 years ago

Hello Aliko

I am sure a big plant you are planning to add will make a difference as well:) I would add some dark blue cushions, and as per comments above add colour to the wall behind the sofa. I am making oversized wooden clocks which are not cheap but could character to the room:

Oversized Handmade Clock

Skeleton Handmade Wall Clock

I am sure you will get there, just need to decide which direction to go:)

Good Luck!!

Anna

• PRO
    Anonymous
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello Aliko M,

Just wading into the conversation feed.

From having a quick read over everything that has been said, it's a lot to filter through and digest the suggestions that are of interest to you.

I can only make a suggestion from an art on wall point of view.

Bespoke artwork to compliment your rooms decor is our speciality, and so I would have to agree with the suggestions that what you currently show in your photo are too small and, in my humble opinion, don't bring energy and interest to the room.

If you're still wondering what to put on your wall art wise, please have a look at my BESPOKE DESIGNS projects to see what can be done with any room.

http://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/1720017/bespoke-designs

If you would like to go down the route of bespoke artwork, please feel free to contact me and we can address this further.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.