webuser_348360

Wood floor colour to go with white walls?

HU-348360
8 years ago

Hi,

I am buying a 60/70s house and planning to redecorate ASAP.

I am planning on going for plain white walls throughout to open up the space.

I am also planning on wood floors (either original floorboards or engineered). If I end up with the latter does anyone have any ideas on floor colour - I am tempted by something quite dark but wonder if I would be betters sticking with a light finish?

And about those white walls - does anyone think grey may be better?

Thanks a lot!

Comments (60)

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That floor reminds me of the Artex I need to remove from the ceiling...!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

: ) ) Ah well I love it but of course... it's not everyone's cup of tea... Here's another with very minimal interior but the look is all about the spatial planning and the windows! It doesn't have to be to that extend if you're in a built up urban area..but it's another white interior... You can create the drama with architectural finishes.. Of course they cost! But it's to show you how you can make white work to your advantage... Layer it with different approaches (like the architectural ones) as you would colour or furniture.... : ))

HU-348360 thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Related Discussions

What colour cabinets go with wooden worktops? Don't say cream!

Q

Comments (38)
    I just wanted to share my experience because I am on a non existent budget too. I saw a picture of a bench I loved, contacted the carpenter, and he has just made me a birch ply kitchen for a total of 1600 euros, including fitting. (600 labour, 400 fitting, 600 for materials). He has kept his price low for me because he likes the project. I am guaranteed to use him now to build wardrobes, boxes, and shelving solutions as and when I have budget. Sometimes talking to individuals who work for themselves/do it on the side can result in very cost-effective solutions! I am paying 300 euros for brushed stainless steel countertops, and got a belfast sink for 100 euro including the mixer tap. Will send u a pic when it's done but my almost dream kitchen has been possible for like 2000 euros (£1800?) I wouldn't shy away from painting the units yourself as there are many tutorials online to show you how, but it is labour-intensive and eggshell paint on cabinets = drips!! You could always just get white or raw cabinets for now, and paint later when you have some cash? Make sure you use quality brushes if you go this route. Nothing more annoying than little hairs sticking in your lovely paint :-/
    ...See More

What colour walls and wood flooring ?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here it is
    ...See More

Exterior wall colour to go with Hardwick White (Farrow&Ball) woodwork?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi OnePlan, thanks for the reply. Good idea to check if anyone is planning a change of colour. I like your idea of inverting the other colours but as you can see there isn't really any colour going on anywhere. Except for the one mint house (just to the left of the frame of this photo) all the others are white w white trim. I really don't want to do anything bright white if for no other reason than the render just gets too dingy (the little lumps and bumps collect such a lot of dust and soot as well as the gull issue). F&B haven't been much help which surprised me as I see so many houses in the country that use these dull dun/greys on woodwork, I'd assumed they'd have some ideas for walls.
    ...See More

Colour advice for walls and flooring for a white gloss kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello, your kitchen renovation is simply beautiful! I wanted to suggest if you would be interested in considering our splashbacks as an option to complete the look of your interior. Please take a look at our website: www.alusplash.com Also, on our Houzz page, you will see a recent project with Benchmarx in the UK, where they have a white kitchen and an accent of our Olive green which just lifts the whole space. You could choose to go for a darker shade to add an element of luxury to compliment your kitchen interior - perhaps Blueberry! We would be happy to send you samples, should you like to consider our splashback panels. AluSplash® is an aluminium-based kitchen splashback and interior wall panel, which is an ideal alternative to glass, acrylic and tiled splashbacks. Offering a high gloss look-and-feel at a fraction of the cost, AluSplash is affordable, easy to install, clean and maintain. AluSplash is not only fire-resistant and safe to use behind all popular cooktops. Available in a wide range of vibrant and earthy colours, AluSplash lends a sleek and contemporary look to any residential, commercial and retail space.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

One more and the one I wanted to find before... It's interesting because of the placement.. It's an unusual choice for a floating fireplace... That's what makes it brilliant.. Also the patch of stairs that are tiled but could be painted.... : ))

A fireplace inset in the flooring is another interesting idea.. It's moved further along from simply colours as a scheme and flooring but it's good to see what you can do with these two elements alone and a different approach..

Consider too... Perhaps you want Dalsouple rubber flooring in white.. Then put a whole flooring over the top that creates a split level idea.. Like a step onto another floor... This could be shaped accordingly.. So stairway and part of the room meets the interior of the room which is wood... : ))

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Ah yes... a plan.... Now let me see...... Anyone suggested you convert the garage to give you a bigger internal floorplan? Take out all internal wall and have a floating staircase... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Garage conversion on the cards. Needed office/guest room + larger downstairs bathroom to include shower. But hadn't thought of fleeting staircase...

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Floating obviously but fleeting nice :)

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Walnut is beautiful and adds warmth but to throw in my tuppence; I've got dark oak floors and wish I'd gone lighter because it shows up every minute crumb and spec of dust. The sweeping and vacuuming drives me a bit crackers. Something to consider maybe.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360

You can still plan open plan for the bulk of the space.. Consider floor to ceiling wooden sliding panels with the office/guest room that can be on rollers and sit 1 behind the other which you pull to create a screen.. , they could then be used to act as a divider too if you want to create areas within a space ... rooms within rooms, so to speak.... ..

With an interesting sofa bed.. or a more interesting bed under storage.. that pulls out along the floor to cater for guests... Then slides back when not needed.. (I have other suggestions re- the bed) as if you had a patio (don't like this word) area directly outside you could in fact have the bed situated under it...outside so to speak.. so you don't have to create bulky internal cupboards or floor to ceiling book case to hide said bed.

With the downstairs loo/shower. Better to have larger bathroom upstairs and smaller loo and wet room style shower room downstairs... Floating loo and basin and tanked area for a seamless showering experience.. Divide the area if you like with a single pane of floor to ceiling glass and tile throughout... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks. yes am planning to make larger bathroom upstarts with bath and walk-in shower. not a fan of wet rooms particularly so was planning on walk-in + wc downstairs.

also plan a rear extension but no idea how to organise space behind garage to make it all flow as one kitchen dining area.

an interesting sofa bed is a good idea. thanks

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello mrsmcee74,

I know what you mean about the hoovering.. ... Mine are white and they too are an upkeep... especially with a feline friend or canine for that matter....... Her fur looks like tumbleweeds rolling across the floorboards... So with 4 legged friends.. Have a Sebo! They go right under the lowest furniture and put limbo dancers to shame... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

i thought dark would hide the mess - no animals but 2 x under 5s!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Webuser_348360,

Situate the shower room and the far far end of garage with possibly washing and drying next door in a slim walk in from the open ended part of the house.

Have another set of sliding doors so it only needs to be as wide as it takes to situate two appliances and as long as you decide to box off the bathroom area... and possibly a fold down ironing board or worktop over these appliances.. shelving....

Then have the office/guest room area as open with panels if you want to keep this area as "Open" as possible when not used for guests...... Then at far end you could add double french doors where sink is currently and window situated. (after taking all internal walls out) Kitchen could be an extended galley island.. accessible from both sides so you can cook and prepare in the middle of the space, so to speak and have the french doors open.... to the next extension or garden...

Consider an open room with glass panels that are like garage doors... Open outwards so the room can be closed in bad weather and fully open when weather good... Or bifold if this is easier.. : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I think I'm visualising this right (!): so back of garage becomes shower room which leads to new utility (situated where current wc and utility space is). Then lose wall between current kitchen/wc-utility and replace with sliding doors?

Lose wall between garage/hall and replace with sliding doors. Lose wall between current kitchen/dining and place french doors in place of sink.

Is this right? I can't quite visualise the island or where all the kitchen cupboards go...?

The plan doesn't show it but there are actually sliding patio doors at the rear of the dining room.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360

No it's not what I mean, my fault as I think and write really fast...... I will have to draw you a plan.. but I can't do it tonight.. so I will do it in the morning.. I hope this will suffice till tomorrow morning.. The island is the just same idea as you would have wall units and worktop with cabinets and appliances underneath.. against the wall..

More centrally arranged, with an additional hidden section at the back for waste pipes going into the floor and along as they would, where currently situated. So minimal extensions would be necessary.... You would have overhead extraction (not necessarily those cylindrical extractors which I don't like) I'm thinking something that doesn't spoil the view to outside...

I'll do a plan for you in the morning as soon as..... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks a lot - that would really help. I can think we have reached the limit of my imagination...

With respect to the current lounge/diner I was thinking of moving the door closer to the front door and then at least keep the borrom LH corner of the kitchen wall so i could place the short end of an L shape sofa there with the rest of the sofa running along that wall beside the hall - TV in alcove next to fireplace closest to window.

Or have I got this all wrong!

Thanks again (very much)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Okay so here is a rough drawing based on your plan.. Of course it is not to scale but to show you what I imagined (your architect could do this to scale) It's for an idea of layout.... There is also room for you to build an extension to situate dining table and so forth if you wanted to at a second stage..... Thus you then retain the full use of the living room area..

I have dotted in the dining table for situation without the extension.. but it should give you some ideas. I have added an additional worktop/cupboard section but you could take one away in favour of a fold up end worktop should you need more space for preparation... I have drawn a bed layout for the study but of course it isn't solid.. The idea is that it's a pull out or fold away style so for the most part it functions as a study.. The sliding panels would be 1 behind the other, so to speak so that when they too are not in use they stand like a single divider.... For the wash/dry room they slide out from wall side if you wish to screen this off altogether... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow - thanks very much, you obviously know what you're doing! The plan really helps - I obviously had no clue what you really meant! I hadn't thought enough about the possibility of what I could do without an extension.

A few things I'm wondering about:

I will be using the office every day, so I think I might like a window (!), and also sliding doors may not be enough of a sound barrier from the kids, so what if I moved this to where you have put the new shower room and put the utility and shower room in it's place?

Do you have any idea likely costs on putting in floating stairs? I like the idea of opening up downstairs in this way, but I wonder if it might be too expensive and also not so child-friendly?

I also like the french doors - bifolds often seem quite heavy and clumsy. I prefer the windows in the image in my other post - did you see those?

Thanks again

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Thank you very much!! Glad you like the idea of the plan.. It is really geared around possible 2 stage works... but equally if you didn't want to have a second stage.. you could at least see the possibility... With the office situation.. Is it the light you want specifically as with double french doors and the panels in close position it would give you much light! OR if it's that you want to gaze out the window and think of wandering into the garden.... Then yes you could situate the office / guest room where the window is...at the far end...

I tried to keep loo/shower as far away from kitchen and also the possibility of keeping bathroom and laundry as boxed in to the exterior... so everywhere else is as open as possible.. Otherwise the open plan has a box in the middle housing shower and office... So my next suggestion would be to keep said situation as I have drawn it and add a window into the side wall... There is a small one currently It perhaps could be re-situated further along that right exterior wall.. Yes I really like crittall style windows/doors... Have a look at these..... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. Yes, an office window would be nice, but hadn't thought of it at rear but at front to replace garage door (a side window would just be onto next door wall, so not much of a view!).

So crittal is what they're call. Yes, I really like them was hoping for one incorporating a double door. Know where I could get one?

Thanks

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Yes that is really the part that is not ideal.... What about if you situated a desk so it faces out towards the french crittall doors... (did not tap the L hard enough and left off an L) With floor to ceiling height doors the whole floor should be flooded with light.. and you should be able to see out with ease.... However if you swap my plan with study/guest where I have drawn Loo/Shower and then have boxed in loo/shower and washing/dry in place of open study/guest area, it's still doable it just doesn't flow in the same way...

Here's a link for Crittall doors and windows..... I'll add more if I find more I like... : ))

http://www.dandrdesign.co.uk/crittall_window1case-studies/crittall-arched_windows.html

http://www.lightfootwindows.co.uk/

One other idea... forget a double set of doors and go with 1 huge glass wall of door and window.... see images... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Stunning! This is what I WANT!

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

But looks like they are v expensive - oh dear :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

If you hire a pro... They may get trade... important to shop around with the crittall co's and there may be ways you can shave off expenses elsewhere... Smart spending! Knowing where to spend and where not to get what you need within the budget you have.... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They really make a building though don't they

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Yes and they are supremely stylish... They will be an investment that you will really benefit from... and if you wish to sell at some point.... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm googling cheaper alternatives!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Let me know what you find... : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's not encouraging - only found these so far http://www.duration.co.uk/Heritage-Steel-Replacement-Windows.asp

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hmm I'm waiting for a call from D&R tomorrow because I want trade... I'll find out a ball park figure and let you know.. ... It would be best to get someone really good for these crittall door/windows.. Then someone with gr8 ideas and nifty £ saving designing stylish interior ...Kitchen, bathroom etc etc... That way you offset so to speak some of the costs involved. You don't need to spend a fortune in every area to get a £££ look! You do need a good eye!

: ))

• Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    I have a 60/70's house and I did white everywhere with mid tone walnut. I love the richness of the walnut with the white but have just added feature walls in colour now.
    I know most people here hate the bog standard white - and it can be quite dull at times, but I think once you have done it and lived in the house for a while, you will start to see what needs changing.
    Generally plain white in a drab room can look every drabber (if that's even a word! Lol)
    HU-348360 thanked Tani H-S
  • HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. Yes, I think white with walnut could look good, but now i'm starting to think of greys...:)

• Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    I think it depends on your light to be honest.

We started sanding the floors down in our kitchen which were in amazing condition, but we're just softwood. I got some grey stain and really liked it, but once we put the walnut against our units, it lifted the whole kitchen.

Our units were all white gloss though and the kitchen/diner is north facing - but gets lights as we are in a bungalow area (so the houses are really low)

I would get some samples of the wood you really like first, then take it to the house when you are to see what they look like in the light there.

We originally wanted dark floors, but I was reminded about our last ones and how hard they were to keep clean and dust free
  • HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi - yeah people are saying dark floors show up all the dirt. kitchen faces W and lounge E, hadn't thought about the difference this would make

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello,

White goes with everything. You can go for any option regarding floor colour. With light coloured floor you will get a clean, clutter free finish. The dark one seems more welcoming to me and more cosy. My parents have got pine wood and it's painted to dark brown. With the beams (matching colours) looks fabulous!

I would go for the dark tone!

Izabella

StJames Design Interiors

HU-348360 thanked Akiva Projects Ltd
  • HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I must admit I would have gone dark if people hasn't warned me how difficult it is to keep clean.

Also do dark floors affect how large the room looks - do they make it look smaller?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Webuser_348360

So D&R don't offer trade.. They have a flat rate surprisingly! I gave an indication of rough height to 3 m with double french doors within window panes 2m min wide.. Double glazing. Roughly speaking 10K per window/door instillation and materials as a ball park figure.. So that should give you some idea really. 20K for two! : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Interesting. What width is that?

This is not a great review though: https://www.yell.com/biz/dandr-design-ltd-sidmouth-901322295/

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Webuser_348360

Well it's just to give you an idea really which you can use as a guide when researching other companies... I must admit I was quite surprised too about the lack of trade offering! Most companies are willing in some area to offer something!

I gave a rough guide of 3m H by 2m wide..: ))

Having read that review though... and I had to call twice to get any response! I'd say let's have a look at what else is available too! : ))

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yep, just want to let you know in case you were considering using them! But it is only 2 reviews...

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Webuser_348360,

Much appreciated!! If I find anything else that looks promising... : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. I've seen sky glaze ltd mentioned on here before. My brother is using these guys http://www.clementwindows.co.uk/w40-windows/, no idea of cost though and won't be fitted until next month. Walnut flooring is a nightmare to keep clean as mrsmcee said. How much light does the house get as a dark floor will obviously darken it? I think they can actually make a room look bigger with pale-mid tone walls though. I've found a mid tone, oak or whatever, tends to look the cleanest. Having said that I have walnut and I had a dark oak in my last house so I think it depends on how much cleaning you want to do!

HU-348360 thanked minnie101
  • HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cleaning is not top of my list of must-haves! But I see what you mean. The house faces E/W. So maybe I should go light oak. The blonde type woods might be to too light with white walls?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

What about Reeve woods... For example.... : ))

http://www.reevewood.com/products/#mpf-popup@/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Dust.jpg|404|554237baaa880

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I'm not sure it's top of most! What wood were you thinking as some are lighter than others? A blonde oak would work. I think people have said this previously but if some of the rooms face East a pure white paint may not work as white needs light to work. Perhaps look at some of the slightly warmer white colours?

HU-348360 thanked minnie101
  • HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The rear of the property faces West - would that be ok with plain white walls?

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Yes that should work. Have a look also at the earlier whites suggested

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Reeve Wood looks interesting - why them in particular?

• HU-348360
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OK so I think I am hooked on a softer chalky white: Little Green Whitening or Dulux Chiffon white. Can anybody suggest any other good chalky whites?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello webuser_348360,

Reeve.. because they are one of my trade companies... Their wood is really lovely.. I have all their samples displayed in my bedroom which is a feature on the design page on my website! I thought that you might like to look at a variety of lovely colours and textures that might be of interest, as there's so much more than just a natural coloured floor.....

With the chalky whites... Acre, Shirting and White Lead are all lovely creamy warm whites.. Also Slaked Lime, but it's less creamy and can appear cool... LG is low VOC and water based.. so nice for the environment and easy on the brushes! : ))

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.