yvonne_mills

Kitchen/diner dilema

Yvonne Mills
8 years ago

Hi there,

I would appreciate feedback on a proposed kitchen diner knock through as well as installing a downstairs WC in a converted garage.

I have a reasonable sized 1930's semi that has a very small kitchen 9' x 8'6 (2.74m x 2.59m) with a chimney breast and a separate dining room measuring 12'8 x 10'6 (3.86m x3.20m). I'm intending to knock through to make a kitchen diner which I hope will give more floorspace for a bigger kitchen. We hardly use our dining room but would make use of it as a knock through.

We've already converted the garage (16'7 x 8'3 (5.05m x 2.51m) but this has become a bit of a dumping room and planning to have this partitioned and install a wc and maybe shower) and use the remaining space as a guest room or additonal small lounge area.

My dilema is having an insight to how much better off I would be with the new space. We're in the London area and have been quoted between 20 - 28k for the finished shell without the kitchen units (though this does include labour of installing the units) but does include fitting and supply of wc/ shower fixtures, tiling and flooring. I wonder whether this is expensive given that there is no extension included.

I really don't want to go for an extension (12m sq) for which I've been quoted another 18k, as I would instead be using this as a utility room/downstairs loo and would not be gaining much more floor space in the kitchen.

Sorry if this is long winded but we really need to get this right so feedback gratefully received. Think we already cocked up on the garage conversion 9 years ago which was intended for use as a playroom, so need to get it right this time but preferably without extending. PS. we do have a very large garden but do not want a large open plan 35msq wrap round extension as is the current trend.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.