zenimsaj

HELP! Landscapers Won't Even Help

jz
8 years ago

We've been trying to redesign our backyard for years now. I've called 5 different landscape companies - three never returned my call and two came out and said it was pretty hopeless. We have one large oak tree on our property and 7 neighboring trees that provide almost full-time shade. We planted Zoysia empire grass 3 years ago on the left and right side of the yard, but not much is left.

One of the biggest problems is our 6 yr old lab who kicks up and slides through the grass, dirt, and gravel when playing ball/chasing squirrels. Second biggest problem is drainage. The backyard FLOODS immediately and it rains a lot here in West Central Florida. I've tried regrading, but you can barely stick a shovel (or stick for that matter) in anywhere because of all the feeder roots from the tree. And all the rain has washed away a lot of soil. Third biggest problem is shade. I've tried perennial peanut and only a couple survived but never spread. Same thing with Asian Jasmine.

We want to put a gravel patio area with fire pit along the back fence, but I can't figure out how to connect the pavers around the tree to the shed and to the new gravel area, if that makes sense. I also don't know what do use as a path that the dog won't kick up (she kicked gravel up all over the grass).

Yard in it's glory day (May 2012)

Yard as a hot mess (Now)

Comments (22)

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.