annelf

Front room in need of a design lift please

annelf

Hello everyone, our front room has a couple of nice features (wood burning stove, bay window) but the room feels really drab and gloomy.

I think our mistake was trying to work with the dark purple wallpaper that the previous owners had put up on either side of the chimney breast. We bought curtains and cushions to match. In hindsight, we should have changed the colour altogether. Our furniture is sheesham wood, so quite dark again, which probably doesn't help.

I would really like to have some shelves in the recesses, to store all our books. We could keep the built-in unit on the left, and just add shelves above it, and from top to bottom on the right hand side. I feel that the armchair is to big for the room but it was expensive so reluctant to get rid of it!

The room does get some light in the afternoon (on a sunny day). We painted the walls a kind of taupe/grey-ish colour (can't remember the name now!), and the carpet is light brown.

I am not entirely sure how to give the room a lift, to make it cosier and brighter, without breaking the bank. Any tips would be gratefully received!

Many thanks