kate_bibby

Kitchen - solid wood work surfaces and alternatives?!

Kate Bibby
8 years ago
Hi! We are currently re designing our kitchen - our preferred look is a relaxed painted shaker style kitchen with oak work surfaces - but pretty much every kitchen designer we've met has tried to put us off them (in a good, honest way!) saying how much work is involved with maintaining the solid wood (sanding, oiling etc) - with the potential for rot around the sink and water areas. What are people's views on solid wood - and what alternatives are there which give the same look but will be perhaps a little more robust? We have (black) laminate at the moment which we inherited when we moved in - it is peeling quite badly which puts me off but I appreciate there are varying qualities as with everything. Someone suggested the ikea ones are quite good and don't require as much maintenance but are more natural than a laminate? We are a busy working couple with two young children - it's not that we won't oil them but this will not be a show kitchen! and I want a kitchen that will last and that I won't look at in a few years and think it needs replacing! Thanks in advance :)

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.