swaroux

What would you do with this empty room?

swaroux
8 years ago
Hello! I recently posted a sofa related dilemma and got some great feedback so thought I would open up the conversation to my whole living room. It's unfurnished and I would love some help on what you think would bring out the features of the room - notably the wood burning stove area and large window. House was built in 1900 and the living room is pretty compact. Currently in the room is a metal garden bench just so I have something to sit on right now so obviously this is going to go back outside! I'm buying all furniture from scratch except for a beautiful Persian rug that I have which I would like to work around. I've posted a pic of it below.
So, my style: feel free to check out my living room ideabook. I want the room to feel warm cosy eclectic and effortlessly collected(Haha!) I would love to have contrasting pieces of furniture from different time periods and create a focal point around the fireplace. I'm thinking a clean modern unfussy grey sofa against the Persian rug. Contemporary illustrative artwork on the chimney breast and maybe a Victorian cabinet or console or bureau in the left alcove. I'm thinking about long curtains to frame the window.. No idea what colour or pattern, but also cafe style plantation shutters along the bottom half of the window as I'm on ground level and would like to solve the privacy issue without blocking out the light.
The layout is slightly awkward as there is a staircase entrance on one side and main entrance opposite. The areas I'm having trouble deciding about what to do include the wall between the inbuilt shelving and door- what do I put there? And the wall between the staircase and window wall.
The wall colour and flooring will remain as they are so apart from that... Houzzers: what suggestions do you have for me? How should I furnish my first home?

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.