maccoops

Bedroom dilemma - lose the sink, fireplace, both or neither?

maccoops
8 years ago

We're renovating an old-person's 1930s built house and have a north facing room I'd like to make into a guest bedroom. It has a pink sink and a greeny fireplace - both appear to be originals but what can I do to make this warm and welcoming? The curtains and carpet are going! I'm not keen on removing original pieces, but I'm really stuck for ideas and colours. We can maybe recoat the sink to be white - does anyone have any suggestions to help me? Thanks.

Comments (58)

• headers13
    8 years ago

It depends if you like it. I personally don't & as above then you might then want to keep/have character features all through the house. All depends if you want that look.

maccoops thanked headers13
  • timiduser
    8 years ago

Yes, get rid of the sink. People don't have sinks in their bedrooms nowadays.

maccoops thanked timiduser
  • Related Discussions

2 bathroom dilemma

Q

Comments (22)
    Yeah, sure, that would work and you would have 2 fabulous bathrooms. You need to weigh up the additional cost of extending further over the garage vs. how much value is added to your property. I say this because adding extra rooms does of course add significant value to your property but bathrooms don't add quite as much as other rooms in the house and to extend over the garage may be significant cost because it's not just adjusting internal walls, adding windows etc. but adding a whole new structure and that may involve underpining the garage etc depending on what foundations are already there. Personally I don't think it's so bad to have a bathroom without a window these days as many houses have to go down that route. With the great effects you can have with lighting and internal air circulation as long as an internal bathroom has the WOW factor it really won't be a problem. BUT saying that, 2 big fab bathrooms would definitely have the WOW factor. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    ...See More

Help with HUGE living room dilemma please!

Q

Comments (42)
    I think that the fire place is beautiful as it is and does not need any make up!! The sideboard on the right is no so big at all and if painted with different colour than grey and distressed could become a much lighter piece with its own character. I would take the top off the left one and again shabby chick it, filling the doors with ornaments to make it more interesting. It is amazing what a transformation you can achieve with a bit of chalk paint! I am using chalk paint for my oversized wooden clocks and it can give an amazing look to a piece for wood: Giant Shabby Chic Wooden Wall Clock Contemporary Large Wooden Wall Clock Rustic Oversized Handmade Wall Clock Give it try before you get rid of them:) Anna
    ...See More

House extension, interior design dilemma

Q

Comments (6)
    @jonathandb1972 thanks for the suggestions - I'm currently playing around with different options for the main bathroom and yes the attic definitely needs a bathroom added in. The windows in the main room are small windows at the top of the wall to try to get some additional light in but will still allow space for furniture. @kitchenpod - definitely worth considering a bigger utility linked to the garage. We've got to explore whether there is asbestos in the ceiling of the utility or not. The benefit of the utility as it is is it gives us space to let our dogs out without the full run of the main garden but I think it's definitely worth exploring this in more detail. I've been playing with the layout in the ensuite/walk in wardrobe in the master bedroom too.
    ...See More

Fireplace dilemma

Q

Comments (40)
    Hi Cherie. Yes I love it. I sent the houzz tour it featured on to my husband and he said it would be our dream home! Thanks for the info and the fire details, I didn't even think of a stud chimney! I'm not sure it would work for ours, the room is 17 x 18 but the chimney breast is 51cm already so it's pretty deep. (Once I work out how to remove a couple of test bricks I may be pleasantly surprised and find the fire there as the hearth is still under the carpet!). what are your thoughts on it working in the room? IF the paper stayed the plaster would be greys and antique gold
    ...See More
  • maccoops
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks very much everyone; the house has fire places in just about every room, this is probably the least pretty and all the other bedrooms had sinks of varying colours in them too, which we've removed. I think it might be best to remove the sink and maybe keep the fire place. Debs Morris - I have lovely duck egg curtains already that are too good to throw away which might work in there, so you've given me a line of thought. MarisaRosado - room is full of boxes at the minute - these are old photos of when we first moved in, but thanks, I think your suggestion is a good one. Thanks again everyone - all good feedback. :)

• PRO
    Ikonografik Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Agree with other people on here. Lose the sink and towel rail, make the recess into a cupboard / wardrobe with a new door. The fire place is nice general design but the colours look dated. Possibly retain the fireplace appearance but re-tile with new contemporary tiles and colours, retain the ribbed back tiles though as they could offer a nice contrast. Possibly put a mirror above fireplace? If you insulate the horizontal hole in the chimney opening you could also re-tile the interior of the fireback and use as storage or put somethinng decorative in the recess. Suggest you also get the electrics re-done as current regs don't permit sockets in skirtings due to increased fire risk.

maccoops thanked Ikonografik Design
  • PRO
    Platonic Fireplace Company
    8 years ago

Get rid of both and go for something new and modern! Depending on your taste and how the rest of the house looks. check out our website for fireplace inspiration! http://platonicfireplaces.co.uk/

maccoops thanked Platonic Fireplace Company
  • gilliifer
    8 years ago

I would lose the sink as it looks out of proportion, replace with nice shelving. Keep the fireplace and paint the wall behind in a deep sage green with a deco mirror. Keep everything simple and pared back.

maccoops thanked gilliifer
  • Lauren
    8 years ago
    The sink is actually pretty classic and could be reused in another bathroom/cloakroom - as you suggest it's not impossible to re coat it white. Depends if you have another space for it.

I love fireplaces on bedrooms, they add a glamorous focal feature - but that one simply isn't a nice example of 1930's fireplaces. Personally I would try and find a more appealing wood framed 1930's one - perhaps leaning towards edwardian and swap them out. If you keep an eye out for local eBay deals you can often pick up nice examples that only need a lick of paint for very little money.
    maccoops thanked Lauren
  • Alexandra Myers
    8 years ago

Personally, lf the room is large enough, l would remove the fireplace (recycle or sell) and put an en suite in the corner of the room - shower, toilet and the sink. You have a connection already there so this could cost about £1500 - £2000 depending on the quality of materials. This is a welcome treat for any guest, adds value to your home and should you wish to, would make money for you if you ever want to get a lodger. In the new budget proposals you can have up to £7500 of rental income from your own home completely tax free. (I advise you NOT to use a saniflow toilet!)

maccoops thanked Alexandra Myers
  • suesigngirl
    8 years ago

I love both the sink and the fireplace but you need to make this room suit your needs. If you are getting rid of both maybe advertise both as 'pre loved' and let someone pay you to take them away. Good luck with whatever you decide!

maccoops thanked suesigngirl
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello maccoops,

Consider re situating the sink elsewhere as it is rather nice, or if not sell it. Put a door on the frame and paint the colour of the walls so it blends.. whatever you decide.. A small closet or shelving inside. Leave the fireplace it's rather nice and with wooden floors stained or even painted could look really good actually. Think original features should be retained where possible and as the fire is from the period in which the house was built, should ideally remain!

Plenty you can do to make this room modern though and lovely.. : ))

maccoops thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • gg38
    8 years ago

I love the carpet in this room! Its gorgeous, what a shame to replace it ! I think its the nicest feature in the room and as they don't make that lovely floral style anymore, I'd be basing the scheme around that and re-use the sink elsewhere. Fireplaces in any room are a bonus but especially in a bedroom. I'm all for retaining original features. If you like the fireplace then keep it at the very least replace with another fireplace maybe not deco style but do not take away the fireplace altogether. I have a guest bedroom that is north facing and F&B cinder rose paint on the lime plaster walls looks fab in there and would work with your carpet!! PS. please bring your new curtains to the floor. Good luck!

maccoops thanked gg38
  • stillsmiling
    8 years ago

Laura Ashley do nice wallpapers in green and pink which would link both features

maccoops thanked stillsmiling
  • Rob
    8 years ago

looking at it, that sink looks like an original 1930s one. if you really want to get rid of it, sell it as they are now going for decent money on eBay and they as they are very sought after. I got a two piece primrose yellow 1955 "art deco style" loo and basin and they look amazing. I would not re-enamel it at all - white sanitaryware is so boring now, I've had enough of it. If you are anywhere near London I will buy if off you!

maccoops thanked Rob
  • mendhouse
    8 years ago

SINK: Yes, defo put in a mini ensuite shower room as it will add value to the house (- if the room is too small can you steal extra space from whatever room is behind the sink?)

If not, make it into a closet or a bookshelf.

SHOWER: Fireplaces are nice in the bedroom but this one could do with changing or disguising unless you are going for vintage retro. feel which could be fun and save money. It all depends on your budget. Feel free to email me:

info@mendinghouses.com / www.mendinghouses.com

(this was a retro fireplace - I had the hearth removed and covered the front with white shells and a couple of ceramic roses.

www.mendinghouses.com

maccoops thanked mendhouse
  • marionb10
    8 years ago

I'd keep the fireplace and remove the sink. Paint the opposite wall in the green colour to compliment the fireplace green, change carpet and curtains to a neutral grey/green, floor length curtains, and put a door on the sink space to make a cupboard which it looks like it was originally. Accessorise with teal or turquoise to lift the scheme. You could always paint the fireplace tiles to a colour you prefer if you don't like the green/beige look.

maccoops thanked marionb10
  • pinklark
    8 years ago

If budget and room allow I would suggest a small en-suite - it would be invaluable when you have guests and with water pipes already there may cost a lot less than you think and would add value to your property

maccoops thanked pinklark
  • chalkandbell
    8 years ago
    I love your room as it is and would keep the fireplace, sink and carpet! I could easily decorate and furnish to complement all three but if the vintage thing isn't your style I would say keep just the fireplace (pleeeeease!) and the sell the sink and carpet on eBay so someone else can enjoy them. I've just bought a 30's house with fireplaces in the bedrooms and it was one of the things I most loved about the house and as you've mentioned that you have others I'm sure they contributed to your decision to purchase too. I just need to replace the two 60's monstrosities downstairs now :-)
    maccoops thanked chalkandbell
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

I suspect that the wall between the fireplace and the window is false, as there will be another recess there. That's why the curtain is crammed into the corner. Remove the sink and architrive around it, remove the false wall and you will have restored the framework of the room. Your window treatment will look much better when you do it.

If you like the fireplace, then keep it. If you don't, then you could replace it with another whose style is in keeping with the property. Electric fires would be safest. And of course, an easy chair and reading lamp.

maccoops thanked Pat Oliver Interior Design
  • maggieandrichard
    8 years ago
    Please get rid of both.
    maccoops thanked maggieandrichard
  • alva35
    8 years ago

I would take out the terrible dull tile fire place. The sink could come in handy and I rather like the colour and the shape. he room needs a definite make over IF IT IS TO BE A comfortable bed room.

maccoops thanked alva35
  • rgarfoot
    8 years ago

Think it depends on the interior styling of the rest of your home and if you want to follow the same theme through to this guest room. As long as they are in good condition you could retain them and match with Art Deco decoration and styling. i think if they are original its a shame to remove them. I wouldn't suggest trying to change the sink colour - i am not sure you would get a good enough finish to it. Look at investing in some good lighting as this will help to make the room feel warm and inviting. Consider using some art deco inspired wallpaper to that wall and make a real feature of it and changing the dark coloured joinery to a lighter shade. Good luck with your project

maccoops thanked rgarfoot
  • drpepe101
    8 years ago
    The sink is a bit of an anachronism in a bedroom these days, so I would remove. As Pat mentions above I would investigate the other side of the fireplace and reinstate any Alcove. A bit of balance will do wonders for the fireplace. Even better fitted wardrobes or shelves either side.
    maccoops thanked drpepe101
  • Ruth M
    8 years ago
    If you've already got fireplaces but removed sinks in the other rooms then I would do the opposite in this room. If its not to be a master bedroom the sink would be a wonderful asset, as well as a novel one, for visitors, or even a child's room for a bedtime face wash and teeth scrub. Visitors would appreciate the ease of their own sink for midnight drinks and not invading your bathroom space.
    I would refresh the whole sink area with a white(ish?) colour scheme and over mirror lights and a sleek low key towel rad replacement. And obviously loose the pink door frame. Would be beautiful.
    maccoops thanked Ruth M
  • PRO
    Concept Online Design
    8 years ago

As you want the room as a guest room and have already got the plumbing in place have you thought about putting a shower in the room and removing the sink and fireplace. It would be very welcoming for your guests. Perhaps there is enough room in the closet to put a shower tray with a sliding glass door?

maccoops thanked Concept Online Design
  • alyper
    8 years ago

Keep the fireplace, change the sink to a modern slim one, and put in mirror/shelves above, door put on, nice little washing / makeup area. Could be turned into a little gem!

maccoops thanked alyper
  • pkacharters
    8 years ago
    a washbasin in any bedroom especially a guest room is a real bonus. I had a beautiful dark blue one in my teenage bedroom. The black splashback is what needs to go. some complimentary tiles and decor would totally uplift the room and make it very pretty without losing the original character.
    maccoops thanked pkacharters
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago

All that matters is that the person who is going to enjoy the renovation likes the end result.

If you are going to live in the house then do you like the fireplace? If you are renovating to sell on then you need to think about what the next buyer will most need- most likely this will be storage and the fireplace could limit furniture placement.

maccoops thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Bio Fires
    8 years ago

If you like the fireplace then keep it. However if you keep the fireplace then the interior design of the whole room will be dictated by the green and art-deco style of the fireplace. If that does not suit the design style you have in mind I would suggest replacing the fireplace with a bio ethanol insert, in that way you can easily construct it in the room, with the choice of many different styles. A real flame fireplace will add a warm and welcoming ambience to the guestroom.

The sink does not add to the design of the room but as a guest room, a sink would be appreciated for its practical benefit, so perhaps something to consider.

You can visit our profile for some great ideas on fireplaces.

maccoops thanked Bio Fires
  • Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    I think the sink is lovely (apart from the colour) so I'd be tempted to re enamel it or sell it to someone who would love it if you're really not keen.
    maccoops thanked Jo Arnold
  • ganevitch
    8 years ago
    We have just moved into 1930s house, with sink in one corner of the room, and walk-in shower fitted retrospectively in a cupboard. We have not used either in 6 months (in spite of sharing one bathroom between 4 of us). To me it just feels odd washing in a bedroom, though visitors really appreciate the sink in their room when they visit.
    I would not touch the fireplace - what is to the right of the fireplace though? Can that be made into an alcove like on the left?
    It all boils down to taste - there was a before/after on Houzz recently where the fireplaces and pictures rails were all removed, walls painted white, with huge TV in chimney breast. If you want/like 1930s, keep them, if you want modern, get rid of them.
    maccoops thanked ganevitch
  • Petite Maison
    8 years ago

Both need to go on ebay!

maccoops thanked Petite Maison
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

I think it would be a shame to get rid of either as they are both key period features of the room. Take a look at the Malcolm Campbell room of the Burgh Island Hotel http://www.burghisland.com/rooms/campbell.html . If you choose the fireplace or sink colour for the main room colour and accent with the other it should look fab. I would also drop the curtains to the floor and if possible start them from the corner of the room rather than encroaching on the feature wall to help balance and segment it.

maccoops thanked User
  • maccoops
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for really helpful comments - much appreciated.

• 2dogssashatess
    8 years ago

can be handy to have a sink in th bathroom. Can get a glass of water, brush ones teeth. if one felt sick and had to vomit could vomit in sink. I like the shape of the sink:) and the pink and black is fine. I'm not so keen on fire place but it is not important whether we like these things its whether you like them.

maccoops thanked 2dogssashatess
  • User
    8 years ago

Seriously - do not remove them!!!!!!!!! I love them both - they are design classics. Spend an hour or too watching a BBC Agatha Christie production to get a true appreciation of art deco interiors and how beautiful they can be. The walls can be the palest of shell pink, with pastel blue/green curtains - it will look lovely.

maccoops thanked User
  • Charlotte
    8 years ago

We're also renovating a 1930s house trying to keep as many original features as possible, but making it a lot more light and airy (think 1930s meets Scandinavian) - the fireplaces are a massive bonus to keep but it really depends how modern you want your home to be, and how colourful. As an example you could paint the fireplace tiles like we did (see photo) - we just need to refinish (lighten) the surround now (and add skirting boards, shelving, and about a million other things...) Though our fireplace was a vile colour so really couldn't be left as it was, yours looks good enough to be left as it is (maybe with neutral flooring) if you're happy for a more '30s vibe. The sink is beautiful but seems a waste in a bedroom - could it be moved to another bathroom? And probably refinished in white...

maccoops thanked Charlotte
  • Charlotte
    8 years ago

However that said if it's a guest bedroom, guests may be grateful (and surprised!) to have their own sink.

• pkacharters
    8 years ago

Curious to know if you made a decision and how it turned out?

• maccoops
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not yet - we had planned to start clearing the room (it is full of boxes at the moment) but have had roofing problems - 2 big leaks at opposite ends of the house with all this rain - so can't move boxes to attic! I've had lots of great ideas from this site though and thinking will keep both - that decision may change tomorrow, ha ha. Thanks for asking. Will hopefully post an 'after' picture when it's finished, but that may be some months away now.

• maria galvano
    8 years ago
    I agree classics and the carpet is stunning its all a matter of individual taste but WHAT A SHAME to loose original features sink is striking shape and fireplace is charming florals in carpet are beautiful someone with a love of that era would redecorate around these original features im thinking greys blacks pinks and soft greens making the back drop against them dramatic and modern and simple to marry against the colour and patterns of the original features. My parents home has fireplaces adams in bedrooms and clawed feet bathtub and when they had a grant to upgrade electrics and damp I had to fall out with the builders as they were taking original features out for themselves I got them brought right back. surely if you bought this style property it must have spoken to you mix old with new and have a beautiful different home that reflects you first of all never mind if others dont like it. But I do
    maccoops thanked maria galvano
  • maccoops
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Maria, yes we love it, will probably give it a go keeping them - won't cost much that way and if it doesn't work, it's only paint we've wasted and we can start again. Thanks everyone.

• maria galvano
    8 years ago
    your welcome from my experience you are always starting again with homes as styles and you change so you will have a head start. I'm always changing things with paint and reinventing rooms but over the years found that the classics especially if originals like yours will always stand the test of time and never go out of style but they dont have to look dated mix it up. if you tire of the carpet which I love think about making it into a huge rug bounded around the edge with what ever colour adorns your walls then would look stunning on a wood floor same with the sink could always be used in another room I would team it with black or even faux marble back drop oh endless fun and NOT AVAILABLE on the high street enjoy your home always
    maccoops thanked maria galvano
  • PRO
    Amanda Ralph
    8 years ago

If you are keeping as a guest bedroom than a sink would be of benefit!

maccoops thanked Amanda Ralph
  • Josephine Geeson
    8 years ago

Get rid of the sink but use the alcove - keep the fireplace, it's part of the house history and with imagination can be a feature, especially with those colours. You could hide the sink, build it into a frame flush with the level of the wall, cover with a lift up lid (taps tricky, must be able to solve that problem somehow) so when not in use becomes a surface for 'artistic things', hang an unusual mirror above - ta dah!

maccoops thanked Josephine Geeson
  • PRO
    Mauro Perucchetti Ltd
    8 years ago

What a great feature, to have a fireplace in your bathroom. It may be best to keep the fireplace and completely renovate the rest.

Have you thought of using Venetian plaster to give your space a facelift? This would give it a truly luxurious and fresh appearance.

Polished plaster can bring the best out of the fireplace and make a real statement to your project.

maccoops thanked Mauro Perucchetti Ltd
  • User
    6 years ago

Don't loose it reuse it:) its unique who wants to be the same as everyone else ey!

you need to watch a wenz Anderson film to inspire you with this room. The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Goodluck !

maccoops thanked User
  • maccoops
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Finally got round to dealing with the bedroom - we kept the fireplace (with a bit of help from some plastikote, as directed by decorator) and lost the sink to be replaced by a cupboard with hanging rail (width ways) a small drawer and a shoe space! Sink available if anyone fancies a trip to Edinburgh! Not as warm as I had first envisaged, but I love it. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - all very helpful.

• Jo Arnold
    6 years ago
    Gorgeous wallpaper.
    maccoops thanked Jo Arnold
  • maccoops
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Jo - it’s Nina Campbell’s Swan Lake.

• giovedesign
    5 years ago
    You can use a smaller sink, basin type, similar to a countryside one they used back in the days when they had no bathrooms. To give the feeling of "provence".
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.