hzdeleted_28193676

Where to put wall decor?

User
8 years ago

This is my bedroom so far. I have this white deer head (apparently all the rage now, typical) to go on the wall, but I'm not sure where - above the bed, the lighting is good, or to the side above a chair, harsh shadows.

Then do I add additional art decor to the empty space that's created by either option?

As you can see from the pictures, I've just stuck in the chair and picture frame to give you an idea, the squares are supposed to be floating shelves :P

Thoughts?

or

Or even just the chair - if so, where to put the deer head?

Comments (49)

• Tom Flanagan
    8 years ago

I'd put the deer head above the bed, a chair in the corner and artwork on the side!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    Just to show we are all different ... I'd have the bed and stag central to the wall !

... And have the chair somewhere where it will have a view ( near a window ?) instead !
  • Related Discussions

Decorate the Houzz UK Office walls!

Q

Comments (54)
    Hi Vivienne, Just wading in with my two pence worth! My immediate thought of what you could put on your wall in your first picture of the table with the plants on it is, artwork or mural of a Japanese garden. Everything about Japanese gardens are about equal and opposites, ying and yang if you like. The effect is calming and reaches into the soul to soothe the stresses away. Probably very necessary when you've been working hard and need a break or some downtime. My other immediate thought to your second picture with the corner sofa is, a seaview or something showing an expanse of water or body of water. If we all had a choice to live within eyesight of the sea or body of water, how many of us would say 'Yes!'. Again, another subject of relaxation for the soul. If any of these subjects are of any interest, I'm sure you can source the exact artwork, mural, poster, canvas whatever you decide it's gonna be for these chosen spaces, but here's a glimpse at what I have in mind when I talk of seaview. All the best with whatever you decide to do.
    ...See More

Living room wall decor & rug

Q

Comments (14)
    I agree with the purple rug ideas, but maybe something with a pattern? I like the mirrors idea too, especially if you want to keep it modern. But if you go for art- I wouldn't bother trying to hard to match it to the room- go for something you love. If it has a bit of purple or green or grey in it fine, but don't pick something just because it matches- I think it screams inpersonal.
    ...See More

Wall decor advice needed

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi all - room is coming together but I am still unsure about this wall. The ceiling is so high. A huge statement piece of art is not really my thing. I am much more into 'bits n bobs'. There is a radiator between the lamp and the bureau. I was wondering about either / both: painting a band of contrasting paint horizontally a shelving unit mounted on the wall where I can place plants, pictures etc. Can anyone help me visualise? :-) :-) I will post below the styles I like.
    ...See More

How can I decorate the wall above my bed that is off center?

Q

Comments (6)
    Ours is off centre, but that’s because of the door opening so it’s not that obvious. We have 3 frames hung in a row above bed. You could add a small chair or free standing tall mirror in the corner
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The bed is off center as it will cross the door if it's centered :P And there's not a lot of space really. Excuse the bad photo and unfinished work...

I'm starting to think stag left with chair, no other artwork

• PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    Palace Road · More Info

Sliding door ?!? Great work so far ! Love that calm blue !!
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Love that shade of blue - what colour is it? Oh and I prefer either option with the chair.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A sliding door might work, although when open it would cover the light switches - the reason I failed to switch the opening side :(

Colour - it's Valspar "British Shorthair", like a blue/grey shade :)

• Helen C
    8 years ago
    That is a fabulous blue/grey paint, lovely choice.
  • PRO
    Meghana Badiani
    8 years ago
    You could try grouping items like bookshelves and the stags head. I've just shown them to the left with an armchair- reading corner.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hate the yellow lol, but the triptych isnt a bad idea

• Sanah Rauf
    8 years ago
    This room looks perfect! The colours are beautiful.
  • G Arnold
    8 years ago
    Image 4 for me, stag to left, long landscape oriented picture above bed
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    If you don't change the door to sliding - if you centralise the bed under the last two ceiling lights and use that as a starting point ... Otherwise it will always look a little unbalanced I my opinion ( but I'm a bit OCD !! )
  • philip mills
    8 years ago
    I'd forget the stags head and go for contemporary art think the stags head just throws nasty shadows over the wall
    User thanked philip mills
  • Mandy Sutton
    8 years ago

I'd put the deer head on the left but also fit a longer cable to the light so it can go straight to the floor from the plug and so less eye catching.

• lizahackney
    8 years ago

For a good flow of energy for both people sleeping in the bed, the bed needs centralising (this will hide the ugly lamp flex) and the stag head put in either side with a small cluster of art work on the other. Lovely though the chair is, it needs to go elsewhere in the room.

• Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    I think I'd stick to the chair to the left and the stag head above bed but no other artwork on that wall. Let that beautiful colour sing.
  • james111333
    8 years ago
    please do something about that lamp cable, it ruins such a lovely room. It isn't much work to move the socket but as a last resort maybe change the bulb for a 12v LED and put a small car battery in the bottom drawer. It's such a shame to invest so much time and money into the room only to, quite frankly, destroy the clean finished look with an unfortunate oversight. If you're in Devon, I'll move the socket for you :)
  • Lily F
    8 years ago
    I'd keep the deer head cantered above the bed, and put a long mirror in a white frame hung vertically where the plug socket is - like this one:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70034916/

Oh, and run an extension lead behind the bed from whatever socket the other lamp is plugged in to so you don't have that unsightly lead across the wall.
  • marivon1
    8 years ago

OK, love the colour, agree with losing the cable to the plug socket. Keep chair in corner with the deer head to right of chair and left of bed, bringing the head down centrally between the lamp and top of chair, but slightly higher than bed head. Keep above the bed clear, as you have a lot going on opposite bed (ie tv and shelf arrangement, and wall opposite window, with large artwork). If I could also say, could you not lose those flower arrangements??? I think they make the room very old fashioned looking and not in keeping with what you see when you open the door! Perhaps replace with an arrangement of candles in clear vessels. Also, what about replacing the rug at side of bed with perhaps a sheepskin rug to give the room a little luxury feel? Think that would keep it "scandi" looking. Merely suggestions, not meant to offend!

• Mandy Sutton
    8 years ago
    I'm new to this. is there an app to do these mockups or is it done in photoshop or similar.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love how you are all obsessing over the lamp cable ;)
    This is a work in progress, of course I'll be hiding it - although I do like it (longer would be better) as I think it gives it a bit of an industrial artsy feel.
    I've ordered the chair now so will post a picture again once that arrives - hopefully this week.

The shelves are also a work in progress as I still have some cables to hide and work out what colour to make the shelves. In reality, the flowers don't look out of place (although they are too big/bushy). I have considered replacing them with long candle sticks - possibly silver. Even if only as a seasonal thing.

@webuser_704843 Theres an app/website you can use called HomeByMe. In these pictures, I just took a photo and crudely pasted some bits in to get a rough feel.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    Lol - I knew you'd be taking care of the obvious cable !! Don't forget to post some after pics - we all love a happy ending !!!!
  • Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    I didn't see the pic of the opposite wall before. I think I'd be tempted to paint it the same blue as the main wall, if I were you, and paint the shelves the same colour to blend. I'm not a fan of those flower arrangements either. I'd go with small votives instead of big candles to keep it even simpler. You could always vary the size of votives to add interest and use the fake flickers candles inside for safety.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok so I bought some large votives and flameless candles yesterday. They're cool, but I don't think they do enough. Also the candles flicker by pumping a current through a magnetic loop, which means the flicker is very repetitive - looks amazing - but the pattern is annoying.

I was thinking, how about a cable running down from the ceiling on each side with either a vintage lightbulb (decorative only) or one of these globe terrariums? That would give the room height from the vertical line and fill in some of that empty space

(note: seriously, I know, don't worry about it, it's a difficult thing I'll be fixing :P)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Something like this instead perhaps... (or with the globe terrariums)

• marivon1
    8 years ago

Well Ryan, I think they work nicely, but to be picky now, instead of 3 small shelves, what about one long one? Would make it look less dis-jointed. Going back to the votives you could place two together on a longer shelf. Do the flickering candles have an off/on switch for the flicker? So that they are on all the time? That might take your eye away too. Would you run the hanging lights off the main light source - if so you would have to have all 3 lights on at the same time which might be a bit much? Also, instead of lights either side of Tv, what about two to one side at differing heights, that would take away from it being too symmetrical looking! Have fun!

User thanked marivon1
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the hanging cables "somethings" idea. If it were bulbs (and not terraniums...tyerrariamsmmaasss) they wouldn't be functional. It would be nice, but I've already tripled the light switch! and have side spots (left wall first picture), 3 along the back and the main light PLUS 2 lamps. I think that would make too many lights than - however, an option would be to run the lights up from the TV socket then back down - like this... cant find an example anywhere, basically a long cable in the socket, up to a ceiling hook and hanging back down.
    The shelves are a pain in the ass to be honest, nearly everything is new so I'm a bit reluctant to "waste" more money

OR... I could hang large glass "jars" in place of the bulbs and put those candles inside the jars... a hanging lantern effect. I've left all the labels on incase I needed to take them back

• Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    The votives and candles looks much better, I think. If you want to keep the shelves, paint to match the wall colour so they're less obvious or paint them the beautiful blue to bring it to that side of the room.
    I'm hoping to have some of those vintage light bulbs either side of the bed in our guest bedroom so I love the idea, but not sure it works with the shelves. Keep the idea for another room maybe?
  • Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    These are the lights we have bought. Really lovely. If you want that look they're from Culinary Concepts.
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The chair arrived today, I'll get a picture of that up later :)
    I need to look to see if a longer single shelf is possible - I don't think it is. And I think white is a go for the colour.
    Now to decide if I should have lanterns (hurricane jars) hang from the ceiling on rope or white/offwhite lighting cord with bulbs...

• User
    8 years ago

I like the second setup

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ok, so I've removed the 3 shelves and replaced with one white one, added rope hung hurricane jars with fake flickering candles in...

it will probably look horrendous on a pc, but alright on a phone. I've left the rope doubled at the moment incase there's differing thoughts on height
  • Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    That shelf and colour scheme works much better. Looking good.
    User thanked Jo Arnold
  • marivon1
    8 years ago

That is better! More what I had in mind - just play about with the height now as you suggested - maybe the one on the left slightly higher so as not to interfere with the plant? and the one on the right slighter higher but not higher than the bottom right hand corner of the tv!

• Nathan G
    8 years ago
    Hi I really like the way you've hung the hurricane lamps. Where did you buy them from and is it possible for you to take a photo of how they are hung from the ceiling. I want to do the same look in our guest room. Thanks. Looks great by the way!
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think differing heights would do my noodle in, I like the symmetry :P

Nathan, thanks, I bought them from The Range, I cant see them on the site but they were £4.99

They have quite a few, these ones fit the size best for me.

http://www.therange.co.uk/search?asug=&languageId=1&OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=J9JU-M3A9-NMQH-PILR-MXDO-Q48R-HMU6-LP9Q&keywords=rope+candle

The hanging is great, I don't have much luck with rawplugs, hooks, basic wall fixings etc. So I drilled a 10mm hole in the roof, pushed the rope (10mm, B&Q) through and just tied a knot in the loft.

Its a bit crude at the moment so I might do something like coil some left over rope around the part that goes into the ceiling just to spruce it up (like the coil on a noose)

It's probably worth mentioning that when I drill holes in the ceiling, I use a tiny thin drill bit first, then go into the loft with the lights off, you can then A: see the hole as the light shines through and B: If it's in a bad position its easy to fill as you dont have a huge hole in the roof.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    Looks lovely. I'm in love with that blue!
    User thanked Jo Arnold
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I was after the Dunelm chair, but at £250 just for something to throw my clothes on, it wasnt worth it. Then I spotted one on sale in Dunelm - £700 lol so that was off the cards straight away. Bought this one on ebay from The Chaise Company. Came very well packaged and was £161 iirc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XSmall+Westoe+Wing+Back+Fireside+Armchair+Orthopaedic+in+a+Dobby+Slate+Fabric.TRS0&_nkw=Small+Westoe+Wing+Back+Fireside+Armchair+Orthopaedic+in+a+Dobby+Slate+Fabric&_sacat=0

• lisjonok
    8 years ago

Good job! I like how calm your room is. Also i like that you can still add to the wall behind the bed if you ever feel like it, add wallpaper of the same shade but with some patern (just behind the bed and bedside tables), or different frames and other decor items as they'll go nicely around the stag head.

User thanked lisjonok
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, - thats the exact deer head I have :P
    I quite like the idea of adding frames in the future perhaps

• Jo Arnold
    8 years ago
    That grey wall and frames look fantastic. Saved that pic for our bedroom or living room decor ideas.
  • PRO
    silvia piccioni architetto
    8 years ago

Hallo Ryan. Why don't you think about a 2/3 - 1/3 door?

So You can turn the door to the right side!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Actually a family member pointed out that I could put the switches outside the door, and then I could flip the door hinge over. That would be fairly easy to do

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

We think the stag's head looks a little lost above the bed and should go to the left above the chair, then put something bigger above the bed. The chair in the corner will also cover the ugly wire from the lamp.

• lisjonok
    8 years ago

Property Facelift, i guess you didn't check the finished room, did you? )

• PRO
    GuigsART
    8 years ago

Hi.

Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up your living area I think a select piece of art would really make the room stand out, add interest and add a great talking point to the room....

Please check out my website if like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size but with this it can only be done as a original piece and not a print.....but all prints i can do to the same size or smaller than my original paintings, so lots of options..

www.guigsart.co.uk

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.