elan_stephen

Fireplace/Stove - restore or remove? (Advice please)

Elan Tsarfati
8 years ago

We've recently moved into a property with this old stove and we'd like to do something with it. It's from the 1890's - the only original piece left in the house as the rest was redone before we bought it - and it either needs restoration to look the part or removal. At present I'm leaning towards removing it as it isn't a functional stove (flue is closed off) and it will require extensive refurbishment with parts that I don't have nor the time//inclination to find.

If I did remove it I would put in a slate floor with a few logs or candles to make it look nice. One extreme idea was to put in a wood burning stove with a big window that I could put lights or candles in to be a feature.

I'll keep the stone surround.

Any thoughts? Please weigh in - all voices welcome. Please include photos if you can of your ideas so that I can see what you're thinking.

Just to give an idea of space, the width is 160cm.

This is the sort of oven I'd consider - panoramic window - but doesn't have to be this one.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.