labtechcarla01

Nautical style condo

labtechcarla01
11 years ago
I don't know what to put beside my fireplace next to the window. The small chair there now does not look right. Maybe a table or shelves? I know built in shelves would be the best choice but as of now out budget doesn't allow it. Our windows are deep set with custom white shutters which I love. Also having trouble with filling up the large wall space on the 10 foot ceilings. Any ideas?

Comments (41)

• PRO
    Liza Jane Interiors
    11 years ago
    How about two matching chests or demilune tables under each piece of art?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    The art seems a little high, but it might be due to the TV being so low. I would raise the TV by hanging it on the wall. If you can't do that be sure the centers of the art are 60" above the floor. Center the one on the left between he window and mantel and then move the one on the right to match. A great filler would be the two armless chairs, but then they couldn't see the TV. Maybe they aren' t favorite TV chairs anyway. Try it and see what you think. Pull the piece from the foreground to where the chairs are now.
  • 7lexi7
    11 years ago
    lovely room, by the way.
  • PRO
    JB House Photography
    11 years ago
    I agree with the idea of raising the art and TV a bit and then having shelves below the two prints/paintings.
  • oneofeleven
    11 years ago
    here are my suggestions - perhaps you could create your own built ins using bookcases and crown molding, something like this - http://pinterest.com/pin/234750199298341896/ . Another idea is to paint that wall in a darker shade. You could also paint your ceiling in a darker colour and this will "bring it down". If you brought your rug and coffee table down down so they were centered in front of the sofa and the two chairs the room would feel cosier. I also think you need a more substantial table between the two chairs, something you can put a drink and a book on.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    If you watch TV in this room, it seems to me that everyone has to sit on an angle to watch it except your beautiful dog. I might want you to reorient the room and put the couch facing the tv and the two chairs by the fireplace. That might solve your problem. I need to see the whole room with all the furniture and space. Can you take a picture of the whole room?
  • PRO
    Welcome Home designs
    11 years ago
    I agree with the bookcase suggestions. If painted and secured well to the walls flanking your fireplace they would give the illusion of being built ins.
    Check out the photo for inspiration.
    http://houzz.com/photos/446050
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like your room. You've got a nice start. Bookcases at side of fireplace as suggested.

I think the whole seating grouping needs to move closer to the fireplace. Not sure what is on the right wall? .

Two chairs need a larger table, that is almost chair arm height, also the group centered between the windows. I think the seating needs to be centered to the windows and at the same time, the fireplace. Coffee table seems too far away from all the furniture pieces. It's not anchored with any of the furniture.

Try centering it to the sofa and two chair group. Maybe all seating needs to come in closer to the coffee table to be more comfortable to reach for drinks etc. Also place the rug center to the sofa and chairs group.
    The two accessories on the mantle feel like they are going to fall off. I would use two pieces, taller and narrower for that space.
  • PRO
    D John Design
    11 years ago
    The comments above are all right on. The room looks lovely, but seating arrangement appears off. Bookcases are best flanking the fireplace and can be done inexpensively. This link shows Ikea bookcases with a little bit of alteration. http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2013/01/besta-billy-brass-bookcases/

Definitely lift your TV higher and perhaps switch your coffee table to one that takes less visible space like the peek a boo from CB2. http://www.cb2.com/peekaboo-clear-coffee-table/f699

Some light colored pillows on the leather sofa would compliment the other colors and materials. A final accent would be some drapery panels for the windows - you may not need the privacy but it would soften the room and appear more "finished".

Have fun!
  • tableguy
    11 years ago
    I do like the idea of built-in book cases. I would keep them low with two shelves and I would add 3 glass panel doors to each. They would reflect some of the beautiful natural light already entering the room.
  • Kelly Tidd
    11 years ago
    Have you considered putting drapes on either side of your big windows, it would fill in corner and give the room a coziness. I also love the idea of bookshelves actually flanking your fireplace, I would also put a different color or wallpaper on the back of the bookshelves for some interest. TV definitely need s to go a bit a higher . You really have a very lovely room good luck.
  • PRO
    Lind Woodworking
    11 years ago
    Until you have the budget for built ins, try putting a Ficus tree where the chair is, raise the TV and re locate the art so it fits better(maybe stagger pictures that flank the fireplace on the wall to the right of it)
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    Perhaps, a bean bag chair matching the brown color of the rug or/and the couch should fill up the corner and provide additional sitting. Also, a slightly bigger TV may give this wall a more balanced look if it's within your budget. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Chicago ReDesign
    11 years ago
    Those windows are great! They let in so much light. I think your major issue is the furniture arrangement. It would be really helpful if you took some more photos - one of the wall opposite the windows and then one from the other direction (so standing in front of the fireplace looking into the room), because there might be a better solution than what we are able to see with the current view points. However, just taking your current pictures into consideration here are my suggestions -

If the major function of the space is as a family room, so a lot of TV watching, then the couch should be oriented facing the TV (as others have suggested). The two chairs under the windows could then be brought over to flank each side of the fireplace. The tiny pedestal table you have next to the small chair could go next to one of the chairs flanking the fireplace. I would then put the coffee table where the small chair and table are currently located.

Hang both pictures above the coffee table and find a mirror or larger piece of artwork to hang on the opposite side of the fireplace. Or - hang the pictures somewhere else and bring in more of the nautical theme you mentioned (rope mirrors, nautical prints, etc). And as others have mentioned, hang the TV higher and remove the tall sculptural pieces from the mantel - it is not wide enough to accommodate them. Is the table towards the back of the room (partially hidden behind couch in photo) also a coffee table? That could be used as the new coffee table if it is. Or instead of a coffee table add a small side table and some ottomans or poufs. They would provide more flexibility as well as extra seating.

Lastly, use the two arm chairs in the foreground of the picture to create a separate conversation zone behind the couch.

Good luck! Would love to see more pics!
  • labtechcarla01
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are some more pics. The two lazy boys are our tv watching chairs
  • Nancy Hehmann
    11 years ago
    You have a really nice room and I love your wall color. I would get pillows for your sofa in same color as your walls perhaps in a pattern . Etsy.com has a search engine you can use to find some.Just input pillows turquoise or blue [ walls look sort of turquoise].
    The white bookcases pele suggest would be nice. I would also buy frames of the same style for all your pictures and whit would be great if you go with the white bookcases.
    If you are truly doing a nautical theme perhaps photography of coastal regions would be desirable. You can also look for this on Etsy.com and stop by my shop there it is nancyhehmann. I have a lot of coastal themes in my shop. You can contact me easily and order whatever size you need.
  • kmac55
    11 years ago
    remove the art and decor on the fireplace and how about using white ladder book shelves. they are open .
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/White-Five-tier-Leaning-Ladder-Shelf/5274131/product.html

and what color is that fabulous blue on your walls, and where did you buy it?
  • cherylcrough
    11 years ago
    More pops of red like the art, maybe red or red prints for the armless chairs would give the room a punch of color as well as the bookcases.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    I remember this room a while back. I think we all said to move the chairs that are blocking the entrance out.
  • ellerman
    11 years ago
    Great Space, would suggest a bit of editing. Tall walls need scale, you might take the two art pieces on either side of the fire place and stack them on one side. Try taking off the items from the fire place.
  • dmoran0
    11 years ago
    I like the tall bookcases idea, or another possibilty is to move the television away from the fireplace (wall opposite window or corner on one side of fireplace?) and put the two pictures over the fireplace side by side, either hung low or leaning. If you don't do bookcases, the side of the fireplace near the window could have a large plant to soften the room. Your sofa could move either under the window, or be used as a room divider facing the fireplace if there is room to go around it. Consider the possiblity of a long low table behind the sofa for more storage if it is away from the wall. You could reset your other chairs to fill in a conversation area, and if you need to, make a separate conversation or reading area elsewhere in the house with the slipper chairs. In general, bring the whole conversation and viewing area including the rug and coffee table closer to the fireplace. You don't have to fill the entire long room from end to end with seating.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Here's a thought, not sure if your brown sofa is new? Remove the two lounge chairs. I think you have too much furniture in the room. It sounds like these are the most used? If finacially in the future? .....
    If so, for comfort and to make the best of the space and to still accomodate other viewers, I would replace the two lounge chairs with a two-seater loveseat size sofa, two recliner operation and place in the same area as the lounge chairs. Put a sofa table behind this shorter sofa.

The sofa is too large to move where lounges are. A new smaller recliner sofa will work so much better facing the TV. and comfy for you. Two recliners gone. Sofa gone. The two armless chairs on the wall where the sofa is now. Table and lamp between.

Place a backed bench in front of the windows. More seating for guests. Add some colorful pillows there too. Window treatments. You can paint the the coffee table white. Staple some rope around the perimeter below the top edge of coffee table and knot each corner. On top place red items and midtone blue and/or yellow accessories. A candle lantern would be appropriate. a large shell somewhere.

The first photo could be just like your room for furniture - can switch placement of two chairs and bench? Note the red and yellow accents also.
    Duneseye · More Info

Eclectic Living Room · More Info

Studio Marcelo Brito · More Info
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    Nice place! I saw your question on the same Page as this photo and thought it would look nice to use a divider in your spot.
  • danduna2
    11 years ago
    You could maybe fit a nice big plant in the corner to match the room. It will look nice next to the fireplace.
  • stomassetti
    11 years ago
    what color paint is on the walls? Is it a shade of light blue? thanks
  • PRO
    Joann Vitali Fine Art Photography
    11 years ago
    As far as your wall space goes, here are some ideas for some art to fill it. A complete collection can be found here:
    http://joann-vitali.artistwebsites.com/art/all/nautical/all
  • centaurita
    11 years ago
    Few thoughts....Floor Globe, searchlight, lamp or telepscope on a tripod; a nicely grouped nautical collection; Driftwood art; one of those boat bookshelves with a couple of old oars standing next to it; if you want an expensive and addicting new hobby - saltwater tank with corals and tropical fish.
  • PRO
    Steve Ohlsen's CameraShots
    11 years ago
    I love the beauty of aquariums, but honestly, no longer want to deal with the maintenance and upkeep. Following that thinking, I've created a series of "Aquarium Art" that you might want to check out if you want an aquarium-like feel without the upkeep.
    http://steve-ohlsen.artistwebsites.com/art/all/tropical+fish/all
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    11 years ago
    Many nautical decorative items can be found on website http://www.gonautical.com
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    And more nautical art here, if you are still working on it :)... Raisa http://www.houzz.com/projects/172543/COASTAL-ART-shells--boats--beach--ocean
  • Nona Gario
    11 years ago
    What about a palm or a fern on a tallish platform?
  • PRO
    Steve Ohlsen's CameraShots
    11 years ago
    Contemporary Artwork by Salt Lake City Artist And Artisan Steve Ohlsen's CameraShots
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    9 years ago
    Many nautical and coastal themed products at http:// http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
  • edithsmom
    9 years ago
    OLD THREAD
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago
    I think the key to designing an amazing small focus is to actually not focus on the fact that it is small. Great your dream space. Incorporate all the things you love then devise a plan to make them work with the space you have.

I have an amazing blog post that I think may help.

http://timothyriversinteriors.com/2015/01/19/decorating-a-small-apartment/
  • PRO
    Go Nautical Collections
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If looking for nautical decorating theme, please visit https://gonautical.com/

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

VERY OLD THREAD.

• whistlerhouse
    9 years ago
    How about a chair rail on either side of fireplace. Paint this a semi gloss or high gloss white and paint the wall below with the same paint to make it look like wood! This widens the look of the fireplace making it have more of a presence in the room and is cheap to do.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago

This is an Old Post.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.