lyndseyparnell

Victorian knocked through living and dining room design same or diff?

Lyndsey P
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am loving this site and have had some excellent help already! We recently purchased out first home; a big Victorian semi; that unfortunately stank up a storm thanks to some big soggy collies, some damp and chain smoking.

The list of decorating/renovating priorities fell to bits as a result as we have spent the past few weeks ripping up carpets, stripping walls and disinfecting like it's going out of fashion.

One bone of contention (I have many) for me is that the wall that would have originally separated the living and dining room has been removed to create a more open plan space (it had glass doors for a time, but the previous owners removed those as well).

It's currently "liveable", and by that I mean it has a relatively inoffensive paint on wallpaper that we can just freshen up with a new coat of magnolia now it's been sugar soaped and I've started removing the floral wallpaper that I so hated and we have bare floorboards (decent condition but not yet sanded/treated).

The issue I'm having, however, is that because I'm now seeing it as one big room it's slipped majorly down the to do list to a "some time in the future when we get some money". In reality, what we'll probably need to do is sand and treat the floorboard, skim/replaster the walls, remove gas fire in one and poorly blocked up fire opening in the other and then think about decorating, but instead we're thinking about "for the time being" type decorating.

However, my more long term question is about whether you would treat it as one big room decorating wise, two separate rooms, or try and have something different but matching (ie, different shades of the same colour). I'd like painted feature walls in both, but probably on the wall opposite the chimney breasts/alcoves as the colours might then seem more separate?

I'm probably planning too far in advance, but at the minute I'm looking at timescales/budgets etc and it's hard to do that without even a vague "vision" of what I want.

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.