ejbeever

Open plan kitchen diner...incorporating existing chimney breast

ejbeever
8 years ago

Hi all, we have currently started our extension to create an open plan kitchen diner/living area and would welcome some ideas on what to do with the existing chimney breast. Has anyone had a similar issue before?

We are removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room and have also added a small extension (approx 1.5m along the width of the the kitchen/diner) to give the area a bit of extra depth. The dining room is currently connected to the lounge but we are putting that wall back in, however we want to make the lounge slighter larger by putting the wall slightly in the dining room. The location of the chimney breast then causes potential issues as it will be in the corner of the room and not sure how this will look visually.

We have a couple of options we are considering:

- Remove chimney breast, then potentially install and open flue stove more centrally along the wall within the dining space. However there would still be evidence of it (gallow brackets or beam) and wondering whether this would look right (also with an angled flue)

- Keep existing chimney breast, this will also help with costs (building and surveyor as a party wall). Is something clever we could do to visually make it look right in the corner. We could not take the new wall between the dining room and living room and extend the chimney breast/have shelves in what would be a small alcove.

Ideas and thoughts welcome!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.