emma_stokes

Help needed for extension layout please

Emma Stokes
8 years ago

Hi there, we have planning for a 4.5m single rear extension which will involve a drop in floor level of our existing kitchen/diner. We are really stuck on layout which we need to finalise for the structural drawings currently being done so any advice would be hugely appreciated. The approved architect plans (see image) include a combined WC/laundry space and large open kitchen/living space. We liked the idea of the feeling of space with this layout (added to with the raised ceiling height from dropping the floor it will have a nice spacious feel). But we are worried that the kitchen this size is a waste of precious storage/utility/WC space and have a option to consider - for a separate WC to be put opposite the cupboard at the top of the stairs along the internal wall like in the second drawing (sorry for quality) and either a walk in larder or utility to be placed behind this, which would allow either a slightly larger utility or for kitchen cupboards to be placed along the external wall (this wall will have a small window facing side passage for ventilation and borrowed light (north facing).

Our doubts are that option 2 won't leave us with enough kitchen space and that the WC will not have ventilation.

I would really appreciate someone's guidance on this...my husband and I (not the best decision makers in the world!) have been round in circles many times and are still scratching our heads! and this is without even starting the kitchen design and living/dining space layout!

Many thanks, Emma

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.