sandrasal

Arts & Crafts Bedroom Wallpaper Dilemma

sandrasal
8 years ago

We are decorating my 10 year old daughter's very strangely shaped Arts & Crafts bedroom and I want to utilise some Designers Guild long curtains which I brought with me from my last house (Nottinghill design - Portobello Road collection). I have found 3 Sanderson wallpapers which kind of go! I'm thinking of painting the window wall and the walls to the left and right

of it white so that the curtains stand alone. One other wall in the room has new fitted grey wardrobes so the wallpaper will be for two walls, albeit at very strange angles. We have ripped out the cupboard in the first photo which is where her bed will now go. I originally chose the top striped wallpaper as the background grey matches the new wardrobes. My question is: should I choose one of these wallpapers or some other wallpaper

r paint the whole room white? Any advise welcome.

Comments (85)

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago

I like the one without sticker!

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

I like the lighter one Emperor 620 beige.

• Related Discussions

Will this wallpaper be too much?

Q

Comments (80)
    Here in Oregon, we refer to a den as more of a manly, comfy room. Part office, part tv room. The family room is like a living room but with a tv. A living room is generally more formal and used for casual conversation. For a house that doesn't have a family and living room both, the words are interchangeable though, which can get confusing for people used to more formal living. We are fairly informal around here. I would assume drywall is like plasterboard. When houses are built, the framing goes in, filled with insulation on exterior walls, then all of the studs get covered with big sheets of drywall that then gets all the seems "taped" and smoothed and then texture is sprayed over it all, then paint. Drywall isn't used in all rooms, there is a special kind called green board used in bathrooms, which is mold resistant. Cement board is also used on any walls or floors where tile is being applied, like bathrooms or kitchens, which is also mold resistant. I am loving this subject! It's so fun to see what people all over the world call different things.
    ...See More

Where to get chinoiserie wallpaper without costing a fortune?

Q

Comments (44)
    Hello Anastasia, I hope you are well. I love the Cole and Son hicks hexagon too and it does look absolutely stunning on the wall. The quality is great too. Both designs will create a WOW and look fabulous and the hall is the place to do it. I am sure you have seen images of the cole and son on the wall too, but just in case https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image+of+rooms+decorated+with+cole+and+son+geometric+wallpaper&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=494&tbm=isch&imgil=8LqsJQOcPudg5M%253A%253BwlC-0FV3Fxc_4M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fblog.decoratorsbest.com%25252F2014%25252F04%25252F15%25252Fhow-to-incorporate-geometrics-into-every-room-of-your-home%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8LqsJQOcPudg5M%253A%252CwlC-0FV3Fxc_4M%252C_&dpr=1.25&usg=okQdK7Jo5A1VFQC8_dFO-7hFb1s%3D&ved=0CD0QyjdqFQoTCN2RpeG-4sgCFUu6GgodfmkBhQ&ei=PVgvVp3_Acv0av7ShagI#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACUFl7bjpaTieIjhXpxNgsMi79sglGLWntIgdhrNU2mUeh3BoK3NLI_1gDNMJEJCk-BXjpxGiOvfBIRTbCv9-FSWO63ioSCVenE2CwyLv2EZQrGxa4SLHpKhIJyCUYtae0iB0RMsoVXlZ677UqEgmGs1TaZR6HcBHb_1cdQJl0rQSoSCWgrc0sj-AM0EV6UvYKLKQJXKhIJwkQkKT4FeOkRSfNNvI6LJzoqEgnEaI698EhFNhEfbeYBDDIvSCoSCcK_134VJY7reEQnc8dWFW42Z&q=image%20of%20rooms%20decorated%20with%20cole%20and%20son%20geometric%20wallpaper&imgdii=c0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A%3Bc0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A%3BR9DSGwjh_uNiyM%3A&imgrc=c_0Ed3CWKFAuTM%3A I am a real believer in being brave and going for what you love in your home..... go with gut:-)
    ...See More

Statement wallpaper – have you braved it?

Q

Comments (110)
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Weve now gone "bold" in our little cloakroom and totally transformed the look of it....we are so impressed
    ...See More

Bedroom design dilemma

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, personally I’d use that alcove as a dressing area. Remove the middle 2 shelves, add a mirror plus a storage stool for all your bits. I added a navy one (which still doesn’t match your bed but can’t work out what grey the curtains/carpets are assuming you want neutral). I’d go for plug-in lights (or the one on the left could be a floor lamp) and add art to your taste over the bed. I think the bed needs a throw, I added an ochre plus the same in natural not knowing if you want colour!
    ...See More
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok that's settled then I'll go for the Emperor (I just love being told what to do)! It will be a couple of weeks before I can upload the carpet photos as we have a hiccup with the wardrobes which need to be sorted first. Thks again for your wonderful help.
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whilst I'm waiting for carpet and out searching for a chandelier, any thoughts on what type of chest of drawers would suit this room please? I thought maybe antique pine, two over three or possibly mirrored glass but I've heard they always look dusty! It would need to look ok with the wardrobes. Looking forward to all your comments :) S

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra, hadn't thought of glass showing dusty - but agree and possible finger prints! I think antique pine would look good and in keeping with the door. I think another good option would be to have painted - to match the fitted wardrobes.

Kind regards,Katharine

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago

Sandra, what type of other furniture in the room? How does look like bed frame, desk, desk chair?

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Do you mean paint up an old chest Katharine chalk paint or eggshell? There's nothing else except a white bookcase to go back in the room Alena. The bed has a wire headboard but really it's all a start again as we had odd bits of furniture none of which I wish to keep.
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sandra, it is hard to give right advice as there is not enough information. It is important to see whole picture together to pick a colour for any piece of furniture in the room . What textures and colours are inside. What colour of book shelf, how big it is. Wire bed fame, what colour (black, white, metallic..?) But before to arrange colours in the room, what's the layout? As I remember you put bed at the empty wall? What do you plan to place at the window? How furniture will be positioned? Sorry that there are so many questions but all these details help to visualize interior ;)

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra, it depends on the ' look' you want to achieve. I was thinking of either your fitted wardrobe supplier providing a new chest of drawers - painted the identical colour of your wardrobes or something like the photo I've attached here.

This is a vintage c.1920's Art Deco chest of drawers painted in Annie Sloane Paris Grey Chalk paint and is on casters. What do you think?

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Oops forget to mention Sandra - yes, if you have a decent set of drawers you love and don't mind painting them it could be a super, shabby chic, cost effective solution - just your time and a tin of paint!

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love it Katharine! I'll get some more pictures of bed etc but I'm happy to start from scratch Alena. Thank you both. S
  • PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Good to know we're on the same wave length!!

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi girls here are some more pics with the bed in place. I'd like to put a chest of drawers to the right of the door and hang a mirror to the left. Quite like the Lloyd Loom chair but it needs painting. Also wd like a desk or dressing table to the right of window. Really open to suggestions as I'm pretty useless at this as you've probably gathered!
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Sandra, I have few suggestions for the room layout. I would recommend to keep wall clear around the door, it is narrow space and it might look bulky. I will suggest to place mirror on a part of the wall, where you have chair on a picture and place small footstool near that mirror. Therefore, it will be dressing area and close to wardrobe. Sleeping area is well organized, bed + bedside table = look perfect, may be to add little canopy (but it is up to your taste). You consider right place for desk, from the right of the window, it will be great and light is good. I think white simple desk and you could use your white chair as a seat at the desk. Add fancy fluffy cushion of pink or purple colour and it will look amazing.

If not fluffy then a little cushion with pattern. Even better, try to match cushion colour/pattern with pattern on a footstool at the mirror.

Would you like glossy furniture?This one is from Ikea, white gloss. It is modern and simple, can be easily used as dressing table and a desk. It has 2 drawers.

As for the chest of drawers, I would place it at the wall from the left of the window, opposite side of the desk. If you have chest of drawers, may be repaint it in the same colour as your wardrobe. Otherwise, may be to find something similar in light tones.

sandrasal thanked AlenaCDesign
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love it Alena! I didn't want to try and match the wardrobes with the desk as I don't really like fitted furniture but because of the room's angles we thought that would be our best bet for wardrobes. I'll get down to Ikea in the next few weeks and look at the desk. Love the cushion and mirror ideas too. You're very clever. S

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago

Thank you very much Sandra! I have special love to decorating girl's rooms :) I'm sure your daughter will be delighted when you will finish her place.

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra, yes I think your planned lay out works really well especially the desk/dressing table to the right of the window as well placed with sockets nearby - for lamp ( task lighting) & computer etc. Also the light is good from window. You could also consider placing a mirror on this wall above the desk/dressing table to help bring even more light into the room. I liked your idea to place the mirror to the left of the door and thought it works well but equally like Alena's suggestion to create a 'dressing area' (mirror +stool). I love your Lloyd loom chair & bedside chest as they add texture as will the fluffy cushions! Look forward to seeing the final result. Best wishes, Katharine.

• uk1982
    8 years ago

Just wanted to say I absolutely love what you're doing with this room. The neutral walls, those curtains are stunning, very stylish. I liked all three of the first wallpapers too. You have lovely taste!

sandrasal thanked uk1982
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Katharine - I won a capiz light fitting on ebay last night which I think is going to look lovely. Not strictly crystal but I liked it.
  • PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Yes - lovely designer edge to it. I love it and think it'll work really well with the overall scheme. Great buy!

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update!! The carpet was laid yesterday (very pleased) and the desk/dressing table assembled from Ikea (thanks Alena, looks great). I also picked up a few bargains in Homesense (footstool, cushions and bed throw). Still awaiting the curtains and door and headboard are missing too. I'm thinking of painting the Lloyd Loom in the colour of the wardrobes to tie things in. I forgot that I had a big shiny white bookcase and now that's in the room I seem to have left myself no space for a chest of drawers! Shall I lose the bookcase or try and find a bedside table with drawers? (current bedside table is temporary). If so, any ideas? Shall I hang a picture on the bedside table wall too? Keep the trunk or get rid? I will be dressing the bed better but thought I'd wait for the curtains.

I have a terrible eye for colour and design and struggle to see if things go together. I've so enjoyed all your wonderful input. Keep your comments coming :)

• al_doestheastro
    8 years ago
    A pre thunder
    B tapenade
    C Eton messed-up
  • fujimusume
    8 years ago

Hi Sandrasal

It's all coming together beautifully and you do not give yourself enough credit. You've found some lovely accessories there -- a mix of plain block colours and a touch of pattern (love the hedgehogs). Yes, revamp the Lloyd Loom and basket to match wardrobes. Trunk is a little dark -- maybe swap that out. Happy vibe all round.

fujimusume

sandrasal thanked fujimusume
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra! I was scrolling down pictures and what a transformation you can see now :) Well done! You really can see how everything is getting shape and colour. Hope you are happy with progress too, you really should :)

I have a little add-on for your girl's room. Desk looks great and I will suggest to get white picture frame and make notice board from it. It will be practical and she will be able to stick pictures and other stuff she likes on it. It is always nicer to look at something you like than wall. Consider not to make it too small though, keep it scale to the size of the desk. I'd say frame can be not high but wide, at least 90cmm.

Obviously choose light colours, close to your room colour scheme. Good luck!

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you Alena and what a lovely idea. We bought 3 little mirrors and hung them above desk yesterday. Still they can be moved. I'll speak with little madam! I also painted headboard turquoise yesterday and hung a picture to the left of the bed. Will post more pictures soon. Thks.
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    8 years ago

You could place mirror on the opposite wall, where you have chair. Mirror will reflect colours, pictures and everything she will display, It will give volume to the room.

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's a great idea Alena and I'm far from finished with placing the furniture. I've just stuck everything back in there to tidy my landing! I'm really waiting for the curtains to be hung to get a better feel for it all. I'm still hunting for that fluffy pink cushion too!

• Lynn Robbo
    8 years ago
    Hi can't you rearrange the room I'd have thought the bed would go under the window rather than squashed in the corner sorry don't like it
  • PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago

Hi Sandra, you're doing a super job. Your idea to paint the Lloyd loom furniture the same colour as the wardrobes and suggestion from Alena for the bulletin board are great ideas. Perhaps consider placing the 3 little mirrors on the wall above the bed?

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The room is actually larger than it looks Lynn Robbo but I can't seem to get a good photo. Used to have the bed by the window but this makes more sense as it frees up the room. My house is built like a boomerang and this room falls right in the centre!
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi girls, almost finished the room now - just looking for that message board (Alena) and a suitable light fitting and bedside table! Here are the photos with the curtains. Rug? what do you think?

• Lynn Robbo
    8 years ago
    Hi sorry but don't like it the bed is in the corner actually hate it
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate your honesty. My daughter loves it as she isn't spooked by the trees outside the window!

• fujimusume
    7 years ago

A triumph! Colours are lovely. Yes, waving tree branches can be a bit spooky, so bed is nice in cosy nook. Could have large notice board on other side of the bed so your daughter can put up her latest favourite cards, photos etc to look at in bed.

fujinami

sandrasal thanked fujimusume
  • PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    7 years ago

Hello Sandra! I was wondering how are you getting on ;) I love to see how your girl's room is getting a shape and now really looks like almost finished. The chest of drawers is a marvelous piece! Great find, Sandra! I'd like to help you with missing pieces. First of all about bed in the corner: I think it is the only true place for a bed to place and no doubts your little one feels secure there. I have suggestion on how to make sleeping area look cozier. The wall light looks very lonely there and it feels like something is missing... I will suggest to get white simple canopy... you even could make one by yourself. Place it above wall light and don't mind the fact that ceiling has different height here. It will look very nice! Here is an example

I don't know where to buy message board, may be in a place like Etsy...But I will suggest, do it by yourself, it is quiet easy! Here are your options:

#1 Buy picture frame or reuse your old printed canvas and then you can upholster it with fabric or even with wallpaper and use ribbon to get strings to hold things. You can see it on a picture I sent you previously.

#2 Get frame and paint space inside with chalkboard paint (they even come in different colour - you could go for Red) and moreover, you could add ribbon for strings,

#3 If you like you could use magnetic paint instead chalkboard paint. Magnetic paint can be used for little magnets or as a chalk board at the same time.

I recommend Rust-oleum brand!

I also see you still couldn't find shaggy or faux fur cushion. Check it here or amazon
    http://www.cushionmania.co.uk/#!cushion-covers-cushions-at-cushion-mania/csha

You have so many colours around the room, go for white faux fur cushion.

I also see that pendant still is not there. I will suggest to go for crystal pendant light. I wouldn't buy pendants with lamp shade for young girl's room because they are very poor with light. It might look pretty buy will be too dark.

I also would go for white colour in pendant. Have a look at what I mean:

https://www.lights.co.uk/ella-flower-pendant-lamp.html

You are nearly there Sandra and you did a great job! :)

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alena - I am overwhelmed with your generosity in helping me with this room that I don't know how to thank you! I have loved all your ideas and the only reason I haven't implemented some of them is because I had to put a few things back into the room such as the bookcase. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the canopy idea and so does my daughter so I'm on to that. The original light fitting I bought was too big but your suggestion is just perfect so I will order that and the cushion. I was just about to buy a cork memo board and paint it but now with your suggestions I think I may go down the chalk paint route. Thank you so much. I will post pics again when I've added the extra bits. You're a star!

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you , Sandra, I'm happy you like my ideas :) I have special inspiration to create Girl's rooms being a Mum myself. And the best way to thank any Designer is to leave positive feedback ;) Will be waiting for your update with a finished look!

• teenytinyhouse
    7 years ago
    looks lovely!
    sandrasal thanked teenytinyhouse
  • PRO
    DesignWorks
    7 years ago

Hi Sandra, well all your hard work has certainly paid off - it's looking terrific! Good luck with the notice board & bed canopy

• Samantha Riley
    7 years ago

Looks really nice,

I think some wall art or even wall decal stickers would really bring the room to life. Seen some really cool ones online, which could fit perfectly in that room :) https://www.vinylrevolution.co.uk/vinyl-products/wall-art-shop/

sandrasal thanked Samantha Riley
  • sandrasal
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's finally finished! Made a memo board with some leftover fabric from my previous house. Bought the light fitting, bed canopy and fluffy cushion (as you suggested Alena). Really pleased with it and so is my daughter. Thank you all so much for your input.

• minnie101
    7 years ago

It looks great, I'm glad you and your daughter are so pleased and she has lots of room for friends over, playing etc. It can also be easily and cheaply adapted as she grows if she wants. My only criticism (if you can call it that) is that if not already your daughter may soon also want the desk to double up as a dressing table and therefore I think a mirror was a good idea but the memo board (which looks great) can always be moved as and when needed. (I thought i'd posted a comment on that previously but obviously not!). I might also add a desk light there for working during winter months. So which room next?!

• sandrasal
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Can't face another room after all this! But it will be the downstairs cloakroom as I bought some super wallpaper at the Osborne and Little sale. Hopefully won't be as difficult for me. :)
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol! They do some beautiful papers so I'm sure it will look great!

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    7 years ago

Sandra! Well done! Room is so well finished and feels cozy :) It is a beautiful transformation. Your daughter is a very lucky girl :) Everything looks at the right place and colours are well balanced. You did a great job here :) Ceiling light looks great and I'm sure you will be asked where did you get this one ;) Best of luck in decorating and many happy days for your daughter in this fab room!

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    7 years ago

WOW Sandra, your daughter's bedroom looks terrific now finished. Thanks for sharing the updated photos. You've done a brilliant job. I particularly love the lime green memo board - cleverly picking up the lime green circles in the curtains beautifully. Your daughter is a very lucky young lady and I'm sure she'll enjoy her 'new bedroom' for many years to come.

Good luck with the cloakroom project.

Best wishes from Katharine, DesignWorks.

• fujimusume
    7 years ago

Delightful. That bed canopy is a stroke of genius.

Fujinami

• teenytinyhouse
    7 years ago

Wow! Just... wow!

• buzzmummy
    7 years ago

Lovely bedroom..well done! I'm quite jealous of your daughter!!!

sandrasal thanked buzzmummy
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.