abigailbamberger

Need help with my hall

Avi Raz
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My hall is smallish with a very neutral tone

. I wanted to liven it up a little maybe some wallpaper on the wall going up the stairs. I like neutral tones but its looking somewhat dull - any ideas. thanks loads

Comments (19)

• Mary-Clare Deane
    8 years ago
    Hi

I'd put a richly coloured rug or runner in the hall, something that pulls the colour of the stair carpet through and adds warmth. Turkish is s good choice or something more modern. If you have the energy, panelling or tongue and groove with a dado rail can add character and allows you to put a contrast colour or paper.
    Avi Raz thanked Mary-Clare Deane
  • Mary-Clare Deane
    8 years ago
    P.s I'd draw inspiration from the lovely leaded glass in the windows for colour.
    Avi Raz thanked Mary-Clare Deane
  • Related Discussions

new hall uk

Q

Comments (9)
    Well, in my opinion wallpaper is ok for a "clean" wall because this way wallpaper design can be completely seen, but you have a lot of doors may be the effect could be too much ornate. But if you like this effect you could set a vinile decoration, you have a lot of colors and designs, and it's cheap and easy to put over any flat surface, so you can combine it with a console as well. Unfortunately I didn't found a picture with a console, anyway I let you an example. [houzz=]
    ...See More

need help with my hallway

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Manfred! We saw your post and thought that one of our latest articles - 7 Top Tips To Help You Decorate Your Hallway may provide some help for you, at the very least it will give you some ideas for your hallway!
    ...See More

Need help for my hall & stairs

Q

Comments (1)
    I would paint it with the any acrylic eggshell or dulux weathershield smooth masonry... have it in my kitchen. It is very tough and you can remove any marks
    ...See More

Need help for my hallway!

Q

Comments (2)
    How about adding a nice wall light perhaps as there are many nice decorative ones for you to choose from and could be a good solution as offers decoration and style at the same time! Not sure what your colour scheme is so if you add some pictures when you get chance to it might be easier for people to make some suggestions as to what to add. If you want to have a look over our wall lights these can be found here: http://www.thebulbco.com/led-interior-lighting/led-interior-wall-lights  Not sure about the mirror option though with you mentioning daylight shining directly onto them as if you have a mirror there you may end up getting dazzled all the time!!!!! Hope this helps :-)
    ...See More
  • ipend
    8 years ago

Looks like a lovely size hall, the colour is lovely, why not try a rich coloured rug as the other person suggested, I would personally change the hall table and mirror to something with more wow, they are too like the floor to stand out, a bigger hall unit would have more impact, maybe take some inspiration from the lovely Art Deco stained glass, using some of their colour in a rug, lampshade or vase.

Avi Raz thanked ipend
  • Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    your hall looks great, if it was left to me,I would just change the stair carpet.
    Avi Raz thanked Andrew Millar
  • Avi Raz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really like the idea of a striped stair runner and will replace my lamp shade bringing in the stained glass window colours. Anyone got good ideas where to buy inexpensive artwork. A rug would be good as well. It always needs a new eye to show what is needed. Thanks so much for the inspiration you are all so helpful x

• Pat Auld
    8 years ago
    Amazon do loads of cheap artwork as do Achica or eBay and I'm sure many other similar sites.
    A large architectural plant as you have space would look good and even a vase of fresh flowers always brightens things up
    Avi Raz thanked Pat Auld
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I think I might also looking at adding more accessories to the console too and shelf which will cover the plug. Google images of console table vignette but mix up the height and textures. As Molly said flowers or plants are always welcoming in a hall. I might try a round'ish mirror with a metallic frame over the console as it might work better with the 2 windows. Have you also thought of adding a chair? Again it looks welcoming and handy for putting on shoes! Try a dining chair first to see if you like it but I'd go for something in velvet. Striped runners sometimes don't work well on a stair with a turn, perhaps a lighter more neutral runner/carpet with a patterned rug?

Avi Raz thanked minnie101
  • embletoni
    8 years ago

The space is amazing. The key thing I'd do is change the carpet on the stairs to a funky stripe. The black is very dominating in my opinion. The rest would be more optional.

If money allowed, I'd also change the window glass to a plain one. Unless you love it of course, but I'm not convinced it's a style you'd choose, from the rest of the hall?

I also think changing the mirror to a circular one, in something like silver, would look better. I think the proportions are wrong with the unit and window. Plus something not in wood would look better.

I'd dress the console unit up more to add warmth and interest: larger lamp, candle, photo, vase with flowers.

Something on the walls or going up the stairs. And then a rug if you want one, although I quite like the space created by the clear floor space, despite having a runner in my hall ...

Avi Raz thanked embletoni
  • embletoni
    8 years ago

I forgot to say what I really want to see in your hall is a larger, funky drawer based dresser unit. Something like you'd see in a funky Scandi shop, in greige.

Avi Raz thanked embletoni
  • PRO
    GuigsART
    8 years ago

Hi.

Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room....

Please check out my website if you like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size as an original piece…..I’m also able to produce all original paintings in high end print format, in any size same or smaller than the original. (all within proportions to the original so not to cause distortion) All prints shown are Giclee prints onto soft textured fine art media. All prints come with a white border these can be made to measure too. So lots of options,

www.guigsart.co.uk

Avi Raz thanked GuigsART
  • sajakobsen
    8 years ago
    Lovely size hallway, I am jealous!

I would try a longer console table to run under the window too - you could still have a mirror but maybe not central. Offset and a funky shape maybe? I'd choose a console that was further in colour from the floor too.

It actually looks like my friend's house except for the bend in the stairs! I like the window, personally wouldn't change that. Might lighten carpet per other suggestions.
    Avi Raz thanked sajakobsen
  • Ret Marut
    8 years ago

my entrance hall is way smaller than yours, with similar stairs, white banister and natural oak console and mirror. For years on end each time we've redecorated it has been where we 've experimented with really bold colour choices for walls and carpets, some arguably less successful than others. Last year was the first time we tried yellow - none of us really likes the colour but we were running out of ideas.

We used Dulux's Sunny Day throughout, freshened banister and skirting with really bright white and picked a bold striped carpet for the stairs. It's been the best combination so far, and has looked even larger and brighter after we incorporated some small golden accessories on the wall and console. I cannot reccomend it strongly enough. Funniest thing is whoever visits and praises it always starts with 'I don't really like yellow but.... this yellow looks amazing or this yellow is sort of different ... Do buy a tester and give it a try. Use natural materials where you can and add a little gold here and there. Our hall has never looked so large, bright, warm and welcoming, and it doesn't look like we'll be experimenting again soon. Unless you live in an extremely hot part of the world, I cannot think of anything better. All the best, maria

Avi Raz thanked Ret Marut
  • Susan Peock
    8 years ago

Am envious of your hallway wooden floor! A fabric runner on the console table and a colourful rug might help to inject some colour.

Avi Raz thanked Susan Peock
  • soozmacrae
    8 years ago

If you prefer neutral tones I would not bring out any of the colours in your stained window. You probably would like it a first , then it would get on your nerves. A vase of beautiful fresh flowers on console would work for instant appeal.

Avi Raz thanked soozmacrae
  • Abi Smith
    8 years ago
    Try East End Prints, they have some great artwork and very reasonable: http://www.eastendprints.co.uk

I like the rugs from urban outfitters or Cornwall rug co. http://www.cornwallrugcompany.com

And rockett St George has some great Art Deco pieces.

Envious of all your lovely space and light :)
    Avi Raz thanked Abi Smith
  • Mandy Morgan
    8 years ago
    My advice would be go bigger and be brave! By this I mean stripes or checks on stairs would be great! I've got tartan on a bend and yes the pattern goes out but it's so eye catching it doesn't bother me! If the budget allows for it think about a longer statement console with contrasting mirror. I'd also now always buy one large ornament rather than lots of smaller ones.
    It's a lovely space have fun.
    Avi Raz thanked Mandy Morgan
  • Avi Raz
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When you put a striped carpet on the stairs what do you put on the upstairs hallway - the same as the stair carpet or a plain colour that blends in ????

• Ret Marut
    8 years ago

A seamless stripe all the way feels better for me. Our upstairs bedrooms are all different from one another but all feature at least a little green (eg a plant, a cushion, a lamp, a nightstand drawer, a painting) as do the living and dining areas downstairs. The green/grey/teal stripe throughout the hall leads the eye well and brings the whole scheme together.

Picking one or two things to be repeated in every room (say wooden surfaces or bronze ornaments, or white picture frames or something yellow, say same colour skirting boards or something blue by the windows) allows you to play with a variety of colours and avoid a cacophony. A bold stripe in the corridor in the accent all rooms share draws the eye and unites the areas.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.