howden9

Would love your ideas to tame our wilderness...

howden9
8 years ago

Hi there, we have a design dilemma in sorting out the bottom of our garden and would love to hear any inspired ideas to give us a low maintenance and good use of space.

We have a 200ft by 50ft west facing garden and the bottom 100ft is divided up into equal sections either side of a conifer arch. A raised grass path carries on from the lawn down to the bottom of the garden. On the left of the first section are very old and woody apple trees and on the right is a rockery (that is more like an overgrown landfill site), and two thing we put in - a kids playhouse on stilts and a raspberry patch.

The area behind the conifer arch is dominated by a great cedar but that and the 2 poplars on our boundary cast quite deep shade for that back 50ft x 50ft all year round.

We would like an area for composting and a large shed in the back section - and ideally would also not want to spend all our free time strimming the weeds that are established in that area. We are not sure about the old fruit trees or conifer arch - but we love the cedar. A seating area in the sun would also feature on our wish list.

I have attached some photos (its hard to believe but when we moved in a few years ago you couldn't walk past the arch) - but please ask if something is not clear in the above.

Many thanks

Tom

Back section of garden - and blurred parakeet...

Left of the path - old fruit trees and uneven grass

Right of path - rockery and uneven ground in front of playhouse

Weeds and shady area behind the conifer arch

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.