bruce_hemming

Why your favourite interiors magazine is going to look very different

Why your favourite interiors magazine is going to look very different from April 2016. Under changes to the Copyright Law ( repeal of Section 52) being brought in mass produced works such as designer furniture, textiles, pottery will now be subject to copyright for 70 years after the death of the creator. Including such work in a photograph will require photographers to get permission from the copyright holder - and possibly pay a licence for each and every image and instance of copyright items appearing in a photograph. To show the affects this would have I have coloured out items in this image which would be covered by the revised law.

This has come about apparently because the editor of Elle Deco saw that Mrs Cameron had bought a copy of an iconic design ( a lamp I believe) and felt that designers work was being ripped off by unauthorised cheap copies being mass produced and marketed without permission of the design copyright holders.

In this photograph there are multiple items of Ercol furniture (which possibly means multiple designers who would all have to have their permission obtained), pottery from Scheurich, Eero Saarinen lamps, glass from Riihimäki and English Dartington glassware.

Obviously that is going to be a huge burden on us securing the permissions and if we have to pay for usage we will have hardly any fees left. Under our contracts we also have to indemnify publishers against any action that might be taken by copyright holders too!

To make matters even worse instead of a five year transition period during which workable guidelines and practices could have been established the changes will be implemented in April 2016. They have also decided that instead of guidelines for usage, case law will be used which means that photographers will be prosecuted and the judges decisions used to give future guidance.

As photographers we are unfortunately used to abuse of copyright as our work is regularly used without permission and so are fully supportive of protection being given to designers but the way in which this will be implemented will have a negative impact on them as well as they will not receive the credits and publicity and attribution given in a published feature.

Protests have been lodged by The AOP (photographers), BAPLA (photo libraries) and RIBA (architects) and also by individuals and groups who will be affected.

It is a disgrace that small businesses and the self employed creative worker is being treated in this way.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.