emmauk

Help-not getting any further

emmauk
8 years ago
Hi!
We have had an Orangery/Conservatory added which comes off our kitchen and I'm struggling to move forward. The kitchen is last in my list but have attached a pic of the units I would like at some point this year.

It's the Orangery in stuck with at the moment. I need to decide on:
1. Blinds-would like some colour here but more muted tones. I've thought about duck egg or a subtle yellow
2. I need a bigger table and chairs. We don't have enough room for guests. Maybe add some colour with the chairs.
3. The foot stool is being returned as its a different shade of cream to the chairs. The only other colour they have in this style is grey? Or again could add some colour here?
4. I'm going to get a small table between the chairs, not sure whether to have a lamp on there, or a floor lamp to the side.
5. I would like some art or pictures on the wall behind the chairs, but again the colour is stumping me.

I feel like I can't do one thing until I decide on the next and I'm not getting any further.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Comments (30)

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Current kitchen
  • Related Discussions

Orangery-not getting any further

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, what a lovely space you have there! In terms of blinds I would definitely go for a duck egg. I think a grey colour sofa would be really nice and if you're from the uk, furniture village have an amazing New York image which would fit perfectly behind the chairs. You could then bring colours out from here and add touches of them around the room. I have attached an image of the picture. Hope this helps and keep me posted! :)
    ...See More

Lighting - any idea where can I get this?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Debbie, here are few other options to look at. Droplet 9 Light LED Clear Glass Ball Pendant Ceiling Light - Chrome Corona 5 Light Ceiling Bar Pendant - Copper Bulla 5 Light Ceiling Pendant Light Bar - Chrome You can view full range of pendant lights here. Alternatively you could consider decorative light cables with filament bulbs for a quirky and unique look. Hope this helps and for any advice and further help please feel free to contact us via email customerservice@litecraft.co.uk or by calling 0161 359 4777. Kind Regards, Litecraft Team
    ...See More

Asymmetrical Ugly Fireplace - Help Anyone got any ideas?!

Q

Comments (4)
    I think your fireplace is lovely and I love the warm honey tone of the bricks. Many fireplaces aren’t symmetrical, mine isn’t. I think it would be sacrilege to cover it up. Such a lovely cosy room. If you really hate it then you could remove the bricks and plaster the wall, or remove the bricks and put in a wooden fire surround and paint that. I like Ribena‘s idea - candles or even electrical lighting can create warmth, or maybe an electric faux log burner,.
    ...See More

Newbies wanting to get a Rear Extension, any advice is appreciated.

Q

Comments (1)
    It's not a silly question at all, at some point everyone is a newbie so never feel silly for asking questions :) You definitely first need an architect to draw the plans up which you can then take to different builders and get them to quote. The architect will also know whether you need planning permission or whether this would fall under permitted development. You definitely need these two people. From there it depends upon how much vision you have as to what you want as your builder will need to know things like where the radiators will go, where your kitchen sink will be etc. If you have no idea how you want to use the space, before getting a builder to quote, you may wish to go to a concept planner as they will be able to help you best figure out what you want from your extension and how to best utilise the space. Personally i have only ever used an architect and a structural engineer (and obviously builders) as I have always known exactly what I want but if you have no idea, a concept planner may be invaluable in avoiding costly mistakes down the line. Similarly if it is just a kitchen design you need, after the architect, you could forgo the concept planner and go straight to a kitchen shop to get them to plan this with you. It just depends upon how much help you need :)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    8 years ago

Hi Emma, are you interested in new kitchen ? tell us more, we might be able to help you out or sort any problems that you might need help with!

• arubababe
    8 years ago

An injection of colour needed I think. Also metallics are very popular right now?

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi A & S, yes I would like a new kitchen at some point this year but would like to finish the Orangery first. I do need some help in what to put at the back of the kitchen where we used to have our dining table. Would love an Island but sadly I don't think we have the room.
  • emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Aruba, thanks for commenting, yeah the colour is my sticking point at the mo
  • PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Emma, It would be great to have an Island in your Kitchen as it not only look great but also provide extra storage. Could you please provide us any contact details (+ measurements+photos of the kitchen space) ? so we could discuss your plans as well as ideas in more depth!

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Emma. I really like kitchen 1 and 2. Why not take your inspiration from the first one using different shades of cream and taupe/greige? I like your idea of duck egg but I might use a soft green as your main accent and maybe with a little duck egg. For your dining table I may go a little more contemporary to go with the 1st kitchen. I think you need to keep some wood. perhaps a wood top and painted legs or concrete, zinc, glass top etc with wooden legs. The footstool colour looks fine in the pic. I really like it but I wonder if it will be too much with a table? I'd go for a floor lamp, maybe a slight arc style (one that just arcs a little!) but not overtly contemporary. Will the table go in its current place or the empty space?

• PRO
    Fresh Traditions
    8 years ago

Hi Emma when working with clients who are stuck on colour I usually recommend picking first the parts of the design you are likely to change least often (quite often these are also the parts that cost the most.) So for example it makes sense to choose a sofa or curtains for a room before choosing wall colour or accessories.

I would choose the blind / curtain fabric for your orangery before the footstool or chairs, as the blinds cover more surface area. When you have decided on them, keep a small piece of the fabric in your bag and use it to match accessories.

• arubababe
    8 years ago

How about considering a strong Jewel colour, a strong blue or a jade colour, and use it as an accent colour?

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for your comments, they are really helpful. I agree I need to think about the table/chairs and blinds first. I have seen this dining table attached and I've googled zinc top tables (I have never really noticed them before) and I like them but haven't seen any in my price range yet. Re the footstool - it's very off in real life. I hadn't thought about it being too much but yeah maybe so in the photos. I really do need one though as the chairs are quite firm and need it to get comfy. Maybe I can put it to one side when not in use.
    The dining table will be in the Orangery as there just isn't enough room for us as family (& guests) at the back of the kitchen. I had thought about some kind of seating there but it's not really needed now with the chairs in the orangery. Thinking about moving the radiator and having some kind of storage there- something that has the look of an island but against the wall, in a contrasting colour (like in pic 1 of the kitchen??)
    I would love to use green but don't feel I can. I know this sounds pathetic but my next door neighbour has the same Orangery as us and theirs is green! I'm still thinking duck egg or soft yellow but will have a look at jewel colours Aruba and see if I can find anything that suits
  • PRO
    Fresh Traditions
    8 years ago

Hi Emma there are many shades of green and many ways to use it. If you really love the colour, don't let the fact someone else has used some green put you off.

Whatever colours you use, think in terms of layers - a bit like accessorising clothes. A palette of soft colours with plenty of neutrals can be calming and make the space feel large, but a pop of bright (or jewel like) colour here or there will really bring a scheme to life.

• Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    Lovely extension! The beautiful tiles might make it a little cold... What about to add ' old wood', linen , rug?
    Also a small table near the armchairs is compulsory to put your coffee on! Here are few ideas!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Emma. I like your table.

I might get the plain wood and then paint the legs to complement, depending on kitchen choice. Option 1 kitchen may work with F&B charleston gray. I also love Emanuelles suggestions. Re an island, what are the dimensions of the kitchen and space with the radiator? I'm wondering if it would make sense to look at the kitchen design now (and colour!) so as to know what to do with that space? I agree with Fresh Traditions re the green and if you used for blinds it would bring the outside in (you just need to make yours more appealing than next door, lol!) Maybe combine with a little cobalt blue? Another idea for layout is having a console table behind the chairs as pictured. You could then add one chinese ceramic stool (great for orangeries!) next to a chair for drinks (above is by Oka but Laura Ashley do a much cheaper version) or add 2 under a console table. You can then add art, lamps, accessories etc for the console so it will really lift the room and give it an orangery feel (also need a big potted plant!). If you opt for the duck egg it is pretty much neutral so you could still add a little green to it. I'm not so keen personally on the yellow with the cream alone

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Hi Emma. I personally thing that the issue is with tone and texture. The dark characterful wood of the table seems to anchor the room and if you replace it I would look for something similar. If you imagine the room without the table it may be a bit flat. I would add lots of textures and lovely wood with character before going in with too much colour. The image below may help.

New Home in Devon · More Info

• asiupek
    8 years ago

Very jealous of the orangery :) We are hoping to have a similar done later this year. I am not sure what style you are going for, but I imagine some Loaf stuff might suit? I think they are quite good at keeping their schemes relaxed while injecting some muted colours. You could also have a winter and a summer set of cushion covers to suit your mood.

On a practical note, I would recommend a floor lamp to allow more space on the table in case you want to put there, say, a couple of cups, a teapot and some biscuits. A table lamp could make it awkward.

• hillary59
    8 years ago

i dont have a pic right now but ive used a fabric which includes both duck egg and citrus yellow and it gives me scope for a variation in accessories.. fresh but bright ,try john lewis, wallpaper direct for fabric or even dunelm mill

• hillary59
    8 years ago

p.s ive teamed that with soft grey aswell

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow, great to come back to so many helpful comments, thank you!
    Emmanuelle- I love all the pics you posted. I have thought about a rug under the dining table-pic attached.
    Minnie-great point about painting the table legs to compliment the kitchen, never thought about that! The footstool has gone back now. Will have a look at Laura Ashley.I've attached pics of my floor plan-except my house is the other way round. I'll
    measure the back of the kitchen though for specifics. I've thought about blue also-pic attached.
    Colourhappy- you're right wood does really warm up the room,I will definitely add wood and have seen a floor lamp I like - pic attached.
    Asiupek- thank you, you will love it, it's the best thing I've done in my house and we really feel the benefit of the extra room. I've never heard of loaf, will check them out.
    Hilary-thank you. I've scoured Dunelm I think I've memorised their website lol! Will go in though and have a look at material and will have a look at John Lewis

measure the
  • emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Floor plan
  • PRO
    A Life More Beautiful
    8 years ago
    I think you need to start with something that inspires a colour choice. Go to a fabric warehouse (or John Lewis or similar) and select a patterned fabric that you like. You could even buy a metre or two and hang it up for a few days to see if you like it. Once you're happy, then pick out one or two colours from the fabric and begin to look for accessories in this colour. For example, you could pick out teal and coral and look for chair cushions, lamps and throws in those colours.

Alternatively instead of using fabric as your starting point, you could use a piece of artwork that you love. Same principle- pick out one or two colours and build from there.

The very last thing you should do is pick your wall colour. Paint comes in every conceivable shade, so it is easier to match paint to accessories, rather than the other way round.

Finally, I would stick to neutrals for bigger pieces, like chairs and tables. It is far easier to change a scheme by replacing accessories than it is to change those bigger items.
  • Anna
    8 years ago

Hi Emma - I think your new orangery is fabulous! Re colours- looking at the styles you are interested in, I wonder if a muted green would be nice, a sort of sage green colour for the blinds etc. Then, if you'd like to add some pops of something brighter as well- how about aubergine purple ? Cushions and table mats? A vase or two?

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Emma. Just looking at your floor plan, I'm wondering as an alternative idea whether you could build a L shaped banquette seat with table? As the table would obviously be pushed back against the wall it should give you more room. Just an idea anyway if it fits and you could add a sofa in the orangery. Re blinds, I must admit I personally I would go for a plain material. Given the number of blinds needed this is likely to be your biggest expense so wouldn't go for a pattern that may date. There's nothing wrong with neutral blinds and adding colour, pattern and texture for accessories etc and based on the pics so far you seem to favour neutral schemes

• PRO
    GuigsART
    8 years ago

Hi.

Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room....

Please check out my website if you like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size as an original piece…..I’m also able to produce all original paintings in high end print format, in any size same or smaller than the original. (all within proportions to the original so not to cause distortion) All prints shown are Giclee prints onto soft textured fine art media. All prints come with a white border these can be made to measure too. So lots of options,

www.guigsart.co.uk

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Minnie we had the Orangery built really so we could have a large dining table as there are 4 of us and we regularly have my friends and their 2 kids over, sometimes others too so really need the extra room. On the floor plan I posted it shows another room downstairs as the dining room but we use at as a play/family room and that has 2 sofas in. I think really we will use the back of the kitchen as
    extra storage somehow. Husband would like a huge American style fridge but I would prefer a cupboard/sideboard in a contrasting colour to the kitchen (like the pics of the Islands I posted) so we'll see who wins that battle! I would like a tall cupboard somewhere in the kitchen as I don't have anywhere downstairs for sweeping brush, steamer etc)
    I've ordered some material swatches from John Lewis but I was thinking about just getting blinds in the windows rather than the doors, what do you think? The other option for the doors are 'easy fit' blinds and they clip into the frame, but struggling to find any pics of what they look like pulled up. I want to keep as much light as possible as the room is North ish facing.

extra back
  • ingabrereton
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Emma

Sorry to hear you have refurbishers block!

I have made an ideasbook using the site tools called 'orangery dilema ' and added you as a collaborator, you could add anyone else you want to. I think you should choose simple cream shutters, cream kitchen units and a cream painted table and chair set and just add a bright piece of art and choose a couple of colourful fabrics for the dining chair seats and to recover the footstool. If you stick with one fabric collection by any company you like everything will be easy on the eye. I like a lot of the collections Prestigious textiles do, most are very reasonably priced.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Emma. I understand. Another idea! What if you put in built in cupboards in an L shape all around the alcove to house WM, storage, larder etc.

could you then have a single bank of units where your oven is now and a peninsular (as pictured) coming off the ŵall opposite to the kitchen door? That may just work. It might be an idea to draw the correct kitchen plan with exact measurements and create a separate post for the expert kitchen planners! I do think an integrated FF will look much for streamlined and go with the classic look you're after. Re blinds, what were you planning on doing for the full length windows either side of the doors? Do you need blinds for warmth or privacy? I had also assumed you were going for Romans for the windows? May beworth looking at other type of blinds if light is an issue? I don't know how long the orangery has been built but it may be hard to tell in winter. I've got a couple of blindingly light South facing rooms but they're rather gloomy atm!

• emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi!!

Thanks for those ideas Minnie. Alcove in kitchen will definitely be extra storage somehow. I will definitely put up another post re kitchen. I have thought about a peninsula just think it maybe a bit tight but I can definitely have a look.
    Re blinds - I think I do want Roman blinds at the 2 windows (behind the
    table) as it over looks next door and a horrible fence at the minute, just waiting for Summer to sort that out!
    I'm not sure re the 4 door windows, maybe I could wait and see re those.
    The swatches came today, I love the sea spray colour (stripe is a bit big I think) and adds colour but maybe a bit cold? The Ikat one is nice but joy sure, walls would have to be a different colour as it clashes, the duck egg one looks more sage, not sure about the pattern but husband likes it.

table)
  • emmauk
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Swatches
  • PRO
    Pearpod
    6 years ago
    I think one of our bespoke woven pieces would finish the look off perfectly in your conservatory. It is the perfect indoor/outdoor item so I couldn't think of a better setting for it than an orangery/conservatory. They can be hung or free standing and made to fit your space. Let me know! Thanks, Ellen :)
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.