hjcooke

Please help! Long, awkward shaped living room, not sure what to do!

Heidi
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, we have recently moved into a new house with a long, bright living room and it's proving a challenge to know where to put furniture/tv etc and to somehow make it look cosy and homely... Nothing is here to stay, we don't think the sofas suit the room and are too square and we hate the wallpaper the last people have left so that's going! We have no other furniture yet as we have been renting for years. The fireplace is slightly off being in the centre of the room so it's hard to know where to put the sofas etc. so the room looks right.

We are thinking that we need to section off the room to make the seating area more cosy and more contained? We are thinking that the end where the full length curtains are is a good space to leave more open for my two year old's toys etc.. and to keep her stuff more that end and have the seating area up the other end. We have wondered whether to buy three sofas and place one across the middle of the room and a console table behind it but maybe this would section it off a bit too much and the fireplace would just be in the wrong place? We could buy two sofas and an armchair (probably a tartan/check one) instead and move the tv into the corner of the room near to where the table lamp is now? Any other ideas? We also think a curved top over-mantel mirror would be better. Everyhting is very square everywhere and we somehow need to soften it all I think.

We love shabby chic style looks and oak/pine furniture. We love the victorian pine sideboard already in the room and would love it just to be a cosy, warm space. I am also thinking about buying two five arm cream lights for the ceiling lights. We like the Milnbridge ones in Laura Ashley. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm at a loss and don't have much time at the moment to sort it out with a toddler running riot! Pics to follow. Thanks in advance x

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.