clubsport1995

Floors before or after fitting kitchen units

clubsport1995
8 years ago

May I ask what would be the better option, to lay wooden or tiled floors before or after kitchen units are fitted.

Floor fitter suggested after installation as if tiles/wooden floors are being changed then you don't have to remove the units. I can see the logic to this, lets say a tile is broken and need replaced and is partly under the unit then this will be difficult, as can changing out the wooden floors (not that I plan to change any time soon).

Also if a wooden floor is fitted BEFORE installation of units, how do you prevent the kitchen fitters//buiders from damaging the newly laid floor while units are fitted if laid before installation?

Many thanks,

Harry

Comments (23)

• GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    8 years ago
    Most kitchen fitters would advise doing the floor last, as it saves some money by not going under the units. But if you are having underfloor heating put in, it will have to be first. There is a sticky back plastic available in huge sheets which you can use to protect the new floor and good old fashion dust sheets. And really careful kitchen fitters who won't scratch up or dent the new floor.
    clubsport1995 thanked GardenFairyGodmother GFG
  • PRO
    Fusion interior design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Clubsport,

We've done it both ways :)

On this project we laid tiles with underfloor water heating and then protected it with correx floor protector, most builders merchants will stock this. It's a 2-3mm impact board which can be cut to shape easily.

On this project we laid the vinyl (karndean) after the units went in.

Whatever the flooring is it will need to go some way under the units and past the feet so you can fix the kick plates. If you fit the kitchen, then the kick plates then install the floor you can't get the kick plates off (or it would certainly be hassle)

Good luck :) ,

Jason

clubsport1995 thanked Fusion interior design
  • clubsport1995
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for all your comments. It sounds as if floor should go in 1st. I will DW builders how we would go about the process as I will be asking the flooring suppliers to fit rahter than the buiders (big difference in quote). Sounds like the floor should be protected during the installation. Kind regards.

• winterfloods
    8 years ago
    Hope you don't mind if I ask a question/advice on this thread? In our previous kitchens the flooring (Amtico or similar) has gone in after the units. All absolutely ok. But they all had kick plates and were fitted by a company we knew well.

We are about to have another kitchen which has some "waterfall" sheets of granite & oak going down onto the floor. It is from a completely different company and they prefer to fit their kitchens after the flooring. My partner (in charge of co-ordinating all the work) thinks that's the wrong way to do it and simply will not see the advantages quoted by the kitchen company when we had a site meeting today. We're going for Amtico/Karndean and he doesn't see the point of paying for unseen flooring. The kitchen people seem more used to installing on real stone or wood and made the point that the time spent cutting such flooring was more expensive than buying material that goes beneath the cupboards. That does seem to stack up as an argument if we're using Amtico/Karndean. I don't want any more stress at the moment so could other professionals please advise? Many thanks.
  • winterfloods
    8 years ago
    Sorry, should have read "doesn't stack up as an argument". Head is spinning and feeling stressed, sorry.
  • nicolakwai
    8 years ago
    I've just had an extension and kitchen renovation, we put in ufh and then laid porcelain tiles throughout then fitted kitchen etc. It looks seamless. I'm really glad we did it that way and so was our kitchen fitter.
  • Sophia
    7 years ago
    Hi, just seen this thread as going through the same questions. I have reclaimed teak parquet, and think I should lay before the cabinets so the expansion gap is behind the units, it also makes the laying easier than having to cut around units and cleaner finish. I know I'm right ... Right???
  • Victoria
    7 years ago
    Yes, and if you change kitchen layout you can still keep the floor.
  • Moogles
    7 years ago

We are having our karndean floor fiited today.

Well, the prep of the floor is going to take 2 days but our flooring company (who were recommended by karndean) said to fit the floor after the cabinets were in and they put the floor under where the dishwasher and washing machine will be, so it will be the same level and be easier to take out if we ever need to.

• Andy Worthington
    7 years ago

I am in a very difficult situation like this. we had anew kitchen installed and decided to keep the existing floor (which didn't cover the whole kitchen) now we absolutely hate it, its cold and impractical, but our kitchen units have been laid on top of it in places. is there any way of changing the floor without damaging the existing units? please help!!!

• clubsport1995
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

andrewworthington, you have not stated what type of floor you have but can we assume it is stone/tiles you have from the description? If so, can you not remove the kickplate, then get some sort of ceramic cutting device such as Dremmel to cut close to the feet of the units and remove the tiles and relay whatever material you decide on up to the feet and cover up by replacing the kickplate? Some professional hopefully will come along and give you the necessary advice. Perhaps remove the new floor units otherwise - discuss with kitchen fitter.

• Andy Worthington
    7 years ago
    The company that I purchased the kitchen through we're not very reliable and I wouldn't trust them to do anything helpful, although the actual fitters were excellent. I've attached a photo showing the original tiled floor and they fitted the units over/around it. I would like it replaced with a wooden floor but just don't know if it's worth doing, possible to do or affordable
  • clubsport1995
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think you will have to wait for a professional to comment on this as I am just a layperson. I note the tiles were put straight on top of the floorboards without plywood underneath so it may be more tricky as when you remove tiles, old adhesives will be there which isn't smooth. Not sure what can be done but I am sure if you ask a professional floor fitter they would advise you. I would start with talking to a couple of them and getting some quotes.

• Andy Worthington
    7 years ago
    Thank you! Much appreciated
  • Andy Worthington
    7 years ago
    I have gone with an excellent Floorer since I first comment on this link. He is laying a vinyl click floor that looks and feels like wood over my existing tiles. He's done it so that it fits perfectly around the units- has shaved a bit off the kick boards so it is all watertight and sealed. When it's finished I'll upload a photo.
  • PRO
    Dee Design
    7 years ago

I would always recommend that the floor is fitted before the kitchen. I would sometimes make an exception for Amtico floor or lino. Its a much better job.

• Andy Worthington
    7 years ago
    I joined this thread very late but picked up some excellent advice. My flooring was completed yesterday (laid two years after the kitchen was fitted on the existing tiles)
    I posted a before picture of the floor before the kitchen was fitted and this is what it looks like now. I am so pleased with the work that was done. My Floorer used a luxury vinyl plank floor that looks and feels real very authentic. Pic attached
  • PRO
    Dee Design
    7 years ago

looks great Andy, I would like to see up close how they have finished the gables that some down to the floor though. Did they remove & cut them to suit?

• Andy Worthington
    7 years ago
    They removed all the skirting boards and kick boards and put the flooring under them. Then planed the kick boards so they were the right size. Replaced the skirting and sealed round it.
    There's also a feature fire place that they were able to cut around as the product is vinyl. It looked like a dogs dinner before but looks really good now. Pic attached.
  • ianthy
    7 years ago

We had UFH laid then flooring then the kitchen on top. It's so important to get the right fitters for your flooring. I have seen some builders do a great job and some fitters do a terrible job. If you can check out how they will fit your flooring or maybe see an example of their work then all the better.

• Sophia
    7 years ago
    Well this weekend I've laid my flooring. It's been painful and I am just about broken. Hard work and long hours. Reclaimed teak parquet. Sanded, but it won't stay this light. Going to varnish with Bona mega Matt. Taken a few short cuts as in areas that will have units not done as best as I could, but good enough. (This layout is never changing again
  • charles harvey
    7 years ago
    hi all.

please let me start by apologising for the messy state of the temporary kitchen photos I've attached. it's still a building site. arghhhhhhhhh.

having an L shaped kitchen and island installed soon.

my question is.

the layout will be similar to the current temp layout in the pictures. back wall will be floor to celing units with American fridge freezer. other Wall will be worktop with floor and wall units. large 2.8m long Island that will bridge kitchen (tiled) and family room (wood) floors.

I was planning to tile first but with the island how can you be sure that the tiles will be symmetrical around it? sure you could move the island a few inches one way or the other but there's no gaurentee that the walkway will look symmetrical.

best to tile after to get joins and ground lines where they look best?

also the builder put down t&g 22mm chipboard on joists in kitchen. will need to put some sort of cement board over to tile to but this will mean the finished floor height will be slightly higher than the rest of the house. any issues with this?

thanks all
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.