tommyflan

POLL: What's your kitchen worktop material?

Tom Flanagan
4 February, 2016

If we're in the kitchen, we're probably using our worktops! And whilst not all of us are blessed with having marble surfaces, worktops are something we all have.

So what's your worktop material? Vote and comment below with yours and if you've got a favourite share away!

OXFORD FAMILY HOUSE · More Info

Read how to pick the perfect worktop here.

Composite
Wood
Concrete
Granite
Marble
Glass
Laminate
Other - tell us!

• lisa77226
    I opted for a subtle veined white Corian worktop with a decorative edge because I couldn't quite afford marble or Quartz. It was a great compromise for the money spent.
    JOHNSTON PARKE INTERIORS

It's it s super white granite X

• New Kitchen
    Now been running with Quartz for 3 months after my last comment. Love it. I am looking after it and the only comment to date is wiping down needs a microfibres cloth to finish off to get a shine up as it has high surface tension so you leave a water track. Looks great just like natural marble.
    Dawn Elizabeth Stone Studio

Granite is so amazing, its been formed over the years and now is in my kitchen

Leicht Kitchen Design Centre

We supply a range of worktops but our particular favourite is glass!

Hand Drawn Home

Star galaxy granite from india looks fab!

P Beadle Construction

Granite is a great hard wearing product

Studio 3 kitchens

I've recently remodeled my own kitchen and have opted for a beige quartz stone with full height splash-back in the cooking area, a pure white quartz stone in the cleaning section and a doubled-up oak top for a prep/tea bench.

R&H Carpentry

we prefer granite as a material

Claude Clemaron Bespoke Wood Interiors

I chose wood as a work top

NOJI Architects

Composite : Hard wearing , easy to clean, easy to repair

Jason Baker

Corian can look amazing in the right kitchen.

Varcurn Marble Ltd

I like granite.

• benchwoodkitchens

Granite creates a stunning finish and has a huge amount of character and colour in each slab.

• Coco Nuts

Got to be granite. My granite worktops are in over twenty years and they look as good as the day they were put in. Cheap worktops are a false economy.

First Stone Worktops Ltd

Granite, quartz or marble depends on budget and your usability of kitchen.

Conor's C&J

Concrete is my favourite surface, extremely versatile

DJW Nicholson

There are so many different timbers and finishes available to suite every style.

DPM Contractors UK Ltd.

Composite will be the safest option !

Anna L Nichols Furniture

Just talking about this exact preference today. I prefer wood because of the warmth and natural colour that wood can bring to any room.

Marble and Granite Designs LTD

Granite work top we have fabricated

Mr Jones · More Info

Gordon Greaves (Slate) Ltd

Granite every time, you can't beat a natural material.

Kontour

Quartz from Silestone. Hard wearing and stylish.

Gordon Greaves (Slate) Ltd

Lakeland Slate

Kitchen Worktops and bathroom · More Info

Lamform Ltd

Laminate tops give you a huge choice of colours and patterns at a really reasonable price , they are hard wearing and easy to look after - no maintenance required .

Robert Ball - Bespoke Cabinet Maker & Joiner

kitchen worktops is http://www.worktop-express.co.uk/ they have an excellent range at reasonable prices all quoted on the webpageshttps://youtu.be/-oTXCHnK-J8

RPM Kitchens & Carpentry Ltd

Granite, I feel is the most hard wearing surface you can take things straight out of oven and put onto granite and it won't mark, but things like red wine can stain it if left on it over night as its porous.

Your Hubb
    Granite is my personal favourite.
  • V
    Having a new kitchen fitted next week and will be having a 20mm stainless steel worktop.
    O'Halloran Property Development

Kitchen counter top completely depends on the ratio between m/s footage, light, and personal concept to flow throwout the kitchen.

Kelsall Architects

Quartz is the most indestructible worktop material

2Scale Architects and Designers Ltd

Granite has more depth and character than quartz

Rush Interiors Ltd

I have white glacier 'Corian' and I use Corian for the majority of my projects, it has worn well over ten years (we haven't even had it buffed since it was laid). I love the invisible joins and the versatility of the material to create curved up-stands. I am not a fan of high gloss worktops, or cold stone tops which require alot of maintenance.

• New Kitchen
    Well I have had my kitchen in for some months now and the white marble effect Quartz still looks amazing and appears hard wearing. I just wipe it down and then occasional clean with granite cleaner. The colour choice was fab and more in line with the look I was going for over granite choices as I wanted white. No regrets.
  • New Kitchen
  • s eh
    Zhirayr Nersessian - would you share where you found your Quartzite worktop? I am looking for one and don’t know which company to use!
    Bath Bespoke

Marble, or Silestone are gorgeous options! We crafted this kitchen with a Silestone counter top! https://www.bathbespoke.co.uk/portfolio/shaker-kitchen-marble-flooring/

Fisher & Paykel Appliances UK & Ireland

We have solid wood worktops in our showroom kitchen with black cabinetry. We also love concrete, but a lot of people are favouring quartz lately!

In Ex Design

Natural stone, granite and timber are timeless worktop materials. Increasingly we are specifying Concrete or Stainless Steel worktops, which add material interest and texture to the Kitchen, whilst being durable and hard wearing. Here is one of our recent projects where a Concrete worktop was formed around a Bulthaup contemporary handle-less island unit. www.houzz.co.uk/projects/2593420/victorian-house-with-a-modern-twist-interior

DesignerStone LTD

Concrete give You options that no other material gives you. You're not limited with shape, colour, thickness

check out our HOUZZ portfolio to check out our previous works.

GEC Anderson Limited

It has to be stainless steel which outlasts everything else; features integrated sinks and edges, including upstands; can be made in any shape or size, including single-piece L-shapes.

Artichoke Kitchen · More Info

DesignerStone LTD

got a question about stainless steel worktops, do they leave fingerprints on them ?

GEC Anderson Limited

Depending on how much grease is on your fingers, yes! This question is often asked and, of course, stainless steel will easily mark with finger prints, grease, hard water deposits etc. but this is merely superficial and can be wiped off easily - ideally the worktop should be regularly wiped with a microfibre cloth to PREVENT build-up over time. To some, this seems 'difficult', in which case, stainless steel worktops may not be appropriate. To those who know and appreciate the benefits of having stainless steel worktops, this is just an instinctive routine and helps to ensure tidiness in the kitchen. The fact is, those same marks and grime would exist on any worktop - it's just that you can seem them more easily on stainless steel and so you are more likely to remove them!

The Long Barn · More Info

• sam irwin
    We have wood but fades easily and especially difficult to take care of around the sink. I’d definitely change if I had the funds
    DesignerStone LTD

GC Anderson: I thought so, but that is not that big concern, Your worktops looks wonderfull

GEC Anderson Limited

It surely must be the case that, for anyone looking to specify the most practical, versatile and durable worktop solution, stainless steel provides the only real option. But, so often, worktops are not chosen in this way. They are chosen according to fashions and trends and the reality is that often people like to change their kitchen (or home) each few years and so are not actually looking for something that will last so very long. In the domestic kitchen, hygiene and longevity may not be top of mind but they are still important considerations. Speaking of budgets, if you were to look, honestly, at the lifetime cost of worktops, stainless steel would have one of the lowest, lasting for 50 + years!

SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints

Ice-cracked glass worktop > Conventional worktops, but obviously, it depends on the style, I am keen to say that the modern is the most optimal for the kind below.

We've made it for a Family House in Surbiton · More Info

Marble & Quartz

They're all fantastic!

Field & Co Interior Design Ltd

Another vote for Dekton and Sileston Quartz worktops, use them all the time in our projects as so much more forgiving and low maintenance than granite or marble. Agree that Corian is a good option if you have a large island to prevent visible joins, whilst it has other benefits you do need to be very careful when it comes to heat. Vast range of colours and textures in all types nowadays so the type of material shouldn't limit the effect you want to achieve - be that traditional or contemporary. I am always a big advocate that a worktop is an investment, there is no point spending a large sum on a beautiful quality kitchen and then finishing it off with a worktop that won't stand up to time as well as the rest of the room or cheapen the look - I always recommend to go for the best you can afford.