vixtawhite

Fireplace...replace with a woodburner?

vixtawhite
8 years ago

Hi, I have just moved to a 1930s semi. The fireplace at the front of the house appears original or maybe 1950's does anyone have any ideas on this? Also wanted opinions on replacing with a wood burner. Would it be ok to fit a Victorian surround? They are much prettier or should I stick with an Art Deco wood surround? Thanks

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello vixtawhite,

Thirties fireplace in a thirties home really should stay put..or 50's for that matter. If the house was victorian then I would suggest possibly taking this out and putting something that has more of an aesthetic of the period. Here though I would say leave it.. What would be an instant transformation is to paint the chimney breast, then paint the alcoves something to compliment but a lighter shade... This way the fireplace stands out as the focus of the room.. Hard to say what else is happening in the room but it's a start too.. One more thing... If the flooring is original wood tiles then leave those too!

Something I say to a lot of people is move things further away from the chimney breast so that the fire and surround can breathe and retain their focus. : ))

• arubababe
    8 years ago
    I love the fireplace. I would keep it and the floor. The wallpaper does nothing for it, imho, so I'd be tempted to paint the walls anything from a steely grey or aubergine to whatever your favourite colour is. It really isn't going to argue with anything much (lucky you). Then get rid of the gas fire and put in an open fire or maybe a contemporary one with stones?
  • PRO
    Victorian Fireplace Store
    8 years ago
    I'd say that, that is more of a 50's style fireplace and the original has been replaced at some point.
    Usually 1930's fireplaces are quite tall and skinny with a tiled insert section.
    See pic attached for the sort of surround I'm talking about.
    Could replace this with an original surround & chamber with a stove inside, would look great.
    See our website for some ideas or send me an email and I'll Send some pics across.
    Kind regards
    Ben
    Victorianfireplacestore.co.uk
  • Lauren
    8 years ago
    As Victorian fireplace store says it doesn't look like either of the common 1930's surrounds - Art Deco tile or more grand mock Tudor-beathan like the one they linked too. It wasn't uncommon to have slightly more pared back versions in an arts and crafts style either. Think like the one above but without a mirror. These often had dark green or brown tiles inside framing the arch opening.

Personally I think the proportions of what you have at the moment look completely wrong for the room. I would remove, find a fairly simple 1930's surround, use a cast iron insert to frame it and put a wood burner in. When you remove it you'll likely find evidence of what the original builders opening for the fire was which will give a better indication for scale and proportion to follow.

When I looked into restoring my fireplace I searched Ebay for fire surrounds by 'nearest first'. Usually there's a few other people getting rid of their original fire surrounds and you'll see what was common for the area you're in.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Vixtawhite,

The fireplace may indeed be bigger than would have been the original proportions. It actually looks as though a new front has been stuck on top and a new fireplace stuck in front of the original. It may be a good idea to inspect this further as I have uncovered several fireplaces.

In the Georgian house where I grew up someone had stuck a whole new 60's fireplace over the entire original. I remember how fantastic it was when my mother uncovered the entire original. :))

• gilliifer
    8 years ago

I like the fireplace. It would look great with an indigo blue or dark grey paint on the wall behind it.

• dottydame
    8 years ago

It's a lovely fireplace but you could sell it and have a different fireplace, wooden would be nice and a woodburning stove think it would suit the room better, also make it a feature wall with some practical shelves either side of fireplace ,maybe paint the wall behind the shelving to suit the colour scheme , sounds an exciting project , look on houzz at rooms on there to give you some brilliant ideas, would love to see what you do, maybe put on here so we can all see the results.

• vixtawhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks guys for all your ideas . Will keep you posted :)

• PRO
    Bio Fires
    8 years ago

Instead of replacing it with a wood burner you could also look into fitting in a bio ethanol insert as they're much cleaner to run, require no chimney and produce no soot or smoke. But still give a lovely flame. Would love to see the final result!

• PRO
    Mauro Perucchetti Ltd
    8 years ago

What a great fireplace. Have you thought of adding texture and colour to the surrounding with natural Venetian plasters to make this fireplace a focal point in the room?

• PRO
    Fleming Stove Installations.co.uk
    8 years ago

Replacing this open fire with a woodburning stove would greatly improve the efficiency of the fireplace. Also once removed and opened up to the original opening the room would appear larger and much more spacious!

• PRO
    The Flame Studio
    8 years ago

A wood burning stove will enhance the efficiency of the unit. Aesthetically, wood burning stoves are growing in popularity and would look great in any modern or traditional setting.

• PRO
    Rennew Traditional Building Materials
    8 years ago

Hi Vixtawhite,

In agreement with AJ Interior Styling Ltd, it does look as though the current fireplace and surround has been placed in front of where the original would have been. It may be worth taking a look, you may even uncover the original with a little luck!

• PRO
    Newbridge Heating Centre
    7 years ago

There are possibly two alternatives one and Fleming Stove Installations said is to open up the fireplace and fit a freestanding stove in the ingle; if you can. the other is to remove the fireplace, but retain the opening and fit an insert or a cassette stove. This would be surrounded by a flat material like slate or granite inside a new fire surround.

Or if you want a simpler look you could surround the cassette stove with a Vlaze panel of your own colour choice.

• Kevin Jovinsie
    7 years ago
    hello...
  • vixtawhite
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, into only taken 2 years ..but finally finished the room, the box to the right of the fireplace we found out housed gas pipes so ripped all that out, couldn't put in a wooden 1930's fireplace if I wanted a burner due to fire regulations, so opted for a concrete wooden effect beam, with a natural slate underneath , we stripped the walls, replastered and finally painted... just waiting on my new curtains and I can shop for a nice new rug possibly :) before and after ...

• sksj1
    6 years ago
    Definitely keep it, it’s fantastic and so rare these days. Boring snoring woodburners!
    vixtawhite thanked sksj1
  • G Arnold
    6 years ago
    You definitely made the correct choice. Looks great.
    vixtawhite thanked G Arnold
  • J C
    6 years ago
    Right decision.... great choice, looks lovely!
    vixtawhite thanked J C
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    6 years ago

Hi vixtawhite I like your fireplace, it is beautiful

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.