cohebe

Do you prefer fireplace or TV furniture as focal point of living room

Dave Cooper

Luxury TV Media Unit · More Info

Do you think American style TV & media wall units will replace the fireplace in British living rooms? Who uses their fire anymore? New home insulation and modern home heating systems are so efficient these days.

Prefer fireplace as focal point
Prefer TV furniture as focal point

• Kiera Fitzmaurice

Tv is more practical but fireplace is always more aesthetically pleasing. I would go with TV

• Anna
    last modified: 6 years ago

TV is the focal point in the modern home! so it looks great to have a bespoke made surround like this to dress it up and look as nice as a fireplace

• Thomas Hanks
    last modified: 6 years ago

a tv should be there as an option, as a focal point it becomes a past time necessity when in the room. Always a fireplace

• Sonia Bhayani

I have to disagree, I love a good fireplace. I love how efficient all the modern tech is, however, I think that a fireplace makes a space more homely! Look at this!!!

Shingle style home in Hanover NH · More Info

• Tolly Coburn
    Modern homes are more likely to have the TV as the focal point, so I love the idea of bespoke surround! Makes the TV blend in and look much more aesthetically pleasing!
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello CoHebe,

If you have a home cinema/tv room then the focus very obviously would be the wide screen, tv or projector and it's screen and the elements that go with that.. surround sound.. comfortable and beautiful seating.. This becomes the primary function and therefore it is celebrated.. Sleek, minimal screen only, functional!

The focus of the living room is the architecture of the space and the fireplace as it was built as such, whether you use it or not. Or none for that matter as not all homes have one! .. Then what you choose to do with it ie the aesthetic elements with the introduction of furnishings etc.. If you don't have a fireplace there are still ways of creating a focus but with a view to the room as seen as a whole where we spend time with others in the family..

Functions are of course important, as are the way you use the space, but in the case of a television in a living room it is definitely not what you want the eye to focus on ideally... Discreet or not at all is far more luxurious! : ))

M.W Bespoke Installations

Video killed the radio star, the TV killed the fireplace.

a well thought out media unit far outweighs a fireplace in a contemporary home, although I do love a nice log burner in a country retreat.

• minnie101

Due to the number of people whom post on Houzz with questions as to how to disguise their tv's I would think a fireplace would win? A fire is not just for heat but creates such a cosy and romantic feel which a tv unit simply doesn't. I've got a chinese cabinet similar to AJ's pictured with a hole cut in the back for the cables. I remember my parents (as will others) having had a lovely yew cabinet with doors on which completely hid the tv. You cannot get these type of cabinets for love nor money nowadays so it would be nice to see a return of these although given a lot of people tend to have enormous tv's it could be rather large! However I do like some of the bookcase units but painted a dark shade to disguise the tv. Having said that it does also very much depend on the style of the room. Many rooms will suit just a ŵall hung tv.

• peediewee
    last modified: 6 years ago

when we moved into our house first thing we did was put a stove in & that's the focal point in our livingroom. we only use the tv to watch dvds & are lucky enough to have an extra bedroom that we are going to turn into a library with the tv in it. the stove is always on in the winter (we've saved a lot on heating bills) & am usually to be found curled up in front of it with a book. :)

Andreas Home Interiors

Definitely prefer a fireplace a house instantly feels warm and homely.

iCubed Home Cinema Ltd

Depending on the type of fire you use in the fireplace, you can have both.

Maybe a Mirror TV or Moving Art above you fireplace, this gives you the best of both worlds.

With careful planning anything is possible

Home Technology Integration Ltd

Why not have both with TV above in a recess? In modern centrally heated home there can be many other focal points to a room.

DesignWorks

Hello CoHebe,

It depends on the period and style of property.

I think this looks amazing - in a contemporary home - what do you think?

Katharine,

DesignWorks

Bespoke Lounge Furniture · More Info

• southernpointofview

I tend to agree with most of the comments regarding the fireplace being the preferable focal point of the lounge/living room. In one area, I placed the TV in a recessed bookcase next to the fireplace. In another more formal area, I hid the TV in a cabinet.

caoba
    last modified: 6 years ago

Fireplace everytime, warmer, more atmoshphere.

• Les Kennedy

A Fireplace every time. Having a TV as the focal point implies you need to have it switched on - unless you're happy focused around a large piece of techno plastic; a fireplace draws the attention while a TV captures it - a bit like smart phones really which is a debate on its own. Things will start to get interesting when TVs are integrated into materials and wall finishings so they totally blend in to the wall and get seen only when required.

• soles61

I totally agree with all those who say a fireplace. My ideal focus would be on a lovely wood burning stove in the middle of the wall with a television neatly placed in the corner. It is always cosy to sit around a fire and makes the living room warm and welcoming. However I am moving into a modern flat soon which has no fireplace so it will probably be the television. So looking to get some lovely bespoke bookcases that can incorporate a medium size television, as well as a small pull out desk table. Any ideas welcome!

• lisa77226
    I have always tried to 'blend away' my TV. I hate them as a focal point and battled my husband for a smaller TV (only a 26 inch) two years ago because I didn't want it to be a black hole beside the fireplace. We are moving soon and the lounge is much larger so I've drawn a built in I will commission in order to hide a larger TV so hubby stays happy!
    @ architect ltd

Nowadays, with almost everyone having a TV in their living room, more people will make their TV a focal point, however, in my opinion, you can never go wrong with a nice large rustic fireplace!

• Hari T

To the folks placing the TV above the fireplace, where do you keep the other stuff required for the TV, like the set top box, sound bar, media center, etc?

AV Genie Ltd

Depends on the main use of the room. There are so many options that can incorporate both. For instance:

• Frankie Gray

Fireplace, definitely the focal point of the room.

• viv mcc
    last modified: 5 years ago

i like my fire place but i must say that first pic looks nice i think that idea would be more for my sons taste in his home being in his 20's. be it would be ideal if you could get a moving real fire image that comes on the tv then you could have best of both and be able to change the room layout, as long as you have another form of heating to keep your room warm that is..

Real Flame (London) Ltd

A fireplace can truly be the heart of any living room, as they create fantastic focal points that draw the eye - and provide warmth and cosiness! A TV also works incredibly well as the centre of the space, as people tend to congregate near it. So, why not both?

• Norman Russell
    last year

Your views pls: we have a large flat screen TV positioned centrally on the chimney breast (not clear on the photo), however the fireplace is offset, not central to the chimney breast. We originally fitted the TV central to the fireplace but it didn't look right as the TV overlapped the right hand edge of the chimney breast. It just doesn't look right in either position. Would it be better in the left alcove (it just fits the width) or the right alcove (which is wider) above one of the bookcases? The other consideration is the TV leads, they cannot be chased into the old stone walls. The sockets are on the left alcove. Thoughts anyone?

• Norman Russell
    last year

Re the above

iCubed Home Cinema Ltd
    last year

Certainly is a difficult thing to get right for your room.
    I would personally mount the screen in the left alcove.
    This removes the overlapping issue and illuminates the offset fire. No matter what you do, over the fire just doesn’t work.
    Additionally, as the cables are on the left, you don’t need to extend them or have them on show across the stone wall.
    Use an articulated wall mount so you can angle the TV into the room and towards the brown sofa when in use and it can push back when not being viewed.

• Norman Russell
    last year

Those are really useful comments, thank you very much, and we'll factor these into our thinking (which was along the same lines!)