emmelinewe

Live Chat Series with Daniel Hopwood - February 26, at 3pm

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

If you're tuning into the Great Interior Design Challenge, you will recognise our Live Chat guest, Daniel Hopwood. He is co-presenter of the show, a talented interior designer, and also President of the British Institute of Interior Design.

Daniel will be joining us on the 26th of February for a live chat at 3pm, answering your questions on the topic: How to pull a scheme together.

If you've just moved into a new home, or are looking to redecorate your current one, and haven't quite managed to pull the right look together, post your questions here! Daniel will help you achieve a professional and classy finish, with expert tips and tricks.

This is how it will work: I will post questions as comments to the thread. Each question will have a question number, for example ‘Q1)”. When Daniel is answering a question, he will use the corresponding label, for example ‘A1)’. Don’t forget to keep refreshing the page to see new questions and answers. The Live Chat is happening right here, on this page!

Style and Substance, Barnes · More Info

Comments (165)

• PRO
    Studio Hopwood
    8 years ago

Glad you are enjoying the show, it was fun to make and is hopefully informative.

The tartan
    sounds great go for it, just not sure about a dining bench, they are not very
    comfortable and don’t encourage lingering at the dining table.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Go for tartan!

Right, we've got just enough time for one last question. This one's from @Mairead Moloney

Q12) We are planning to extend our kitchen next month & would love your expert advice. Planning on painted shaker style. Really not sure whether to go with F&B ammonite on cupboards & either (lighter more duck egg) lamp or something darker like stiffkey blue or even the newer green/blue on the island. Not sure whether grey/blue painted kitchen cupboards are still on trend. Not sure whether more stone colour would be safer

• PRO
    Studio Hopwood
    8 years ago

Its only
    paint so stop thinking about trends and go for what you like, you can always
    change it. Think about having the top units and the island a different colour that will make it look a little more interesting and less shop bought.

Good luck with the build. How exciting.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do what you love, always a safe design mantra.

And that's a wrap!

A big thank you to Daniel Hopwood for taking the time out to answer, and for all our users that took part and left a question. Feel free to keep commenting and keeping the discussion going, but for now, the Live Chat is over!

Until next time guys!

• PRO
    Studio Hopwood
    8 years ago

Thanks, see you and do keep watching The Great Interior Design Challenge.

• francetetreault
    8 years ago

Was my question was forgotten (I was about sixth) or did I miss it somehow?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello francetetreault,

Do you need some advice with something? Maybe I can help? If you have a sunlit room you should be alright with colours... Also you can create the idea of panelling if you paint to dado height and then change colours... you can even do this without a dado... This was a look in period homes but most people think they need the details such as high skirtings etc.. It's not necessarily so and if you have good skirting and architraves then you don't actually need everything.... You can also use this technique with skirting too and simply add a finish to the flooring (bead) and then paint to a height you wish.. The higher the ceiling the higher the skirting..

I agree if you decorate the two rooms as one it would indeed compliment, and allow the room to flow even if you separate functions, it still behaves as one space visually and therefore doesn't look broken.. For colours consider chalky, dense colours and a pic would be good so I can advise further on this.. ..

: ))

• Rebecca Webster
    8 years ago
    I can't seem to find the right color to go with my new sofa it's a cloudy grey for curtains and cushions please help
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Rebecca,

Why not use the curtains as inspiration... That way they tie in with the scheme... NO pun intended! : )) The rug also works nicely too doesn't it as it has the colours of both sofa, floor and curtains.. If you mean the wall colour then again use what you have in the room for inspiration... Possibly something lighter but bold... : ))

• Mairead Moloney
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much Daniel for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it! What a great show
  • pawsnjaws
    8 years ago

Did everyone get a reply?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello pawsnjaws,

If you didn't maybe I can help you? : ))

• pawsnjaws
    8 years ago

Thank you AJ Interior Styling, my question is regarding Curtains style, colour and fabric for my lounge, I am completely stuck and its such an expensive and large scale element to get wrong...

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello pawsnjaws,

Of course, curtains can be very expensive and perhaps use the wallpaper as inspiration for the curtains.... So consider a few more things that might help you decide what fabric samples to go for first!

What is in the living room, would it benefit from one fabric over another. What style is your interior. What colours do you have... Do you want the curtains to blend with the walls, compliment or act as an accent colour with other soft furnishings for example which you can tie in..

Do you have a lot of light or not? So would this mean you'd benefit from plainer style hangings without pelmet etc.. Have a look at the room and consider what you might like and take into account the size of the room as this will also be important.. Then see if the room needs texture...

You could provide this with the curtains... Also do you have blinds and therefore the curtains are dress or are they the primary treatment for the window.. : ))

• suesykes
    8 years ago

Couldn't make out who the replies related too...so no idea if I got a reply or not....anyone else confused?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sue Sykes,

That is an absolutely fantastic fireplace you have there!! Lovely!!

Have you considered maybe looking at the stone fireplace as your inspiration for the room? Possibly introduce some more of these chalky earthy, stone colours onto the walls...

The sofa could perhaps be re-upholstered.. Maybe consider a mole colour and then introduce a few mole coloured cushions and some cream to compliment..

Kilim rugs would also be lovely and think of textures... Throws and other lovely warm colours would add something to this.. Even small kilim rugs on the sofa, if you have a plain colour.... One thing I did notice.. How about old mirrors and add some wood... Old chest of drawers or something, even a cabinet that the tv could sit on.. What about an old wooden chest or something for a coffee table... Textures, warm colour and woods are what I would think of doing first... Old stone bowls and lovely pieces... Pewter plate as a fruit bowl or something on the coffee table and flowers... Think old ceramics and again the word is "earthy"

Lastly think of table lamps near to the seating.. that way it's inviting.. You can have a floor lamp too for contrast.. What about an old armchair closer to the fire so it's inviting to sit near it.. : ))

• Emma Evanson
    8 years ago

Yes I'm a little confused too Sue Sykes. It is a little difficult to see how and which questions were answered. Any ideas would be much appreciated AJ interiors!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Emma Evanson,

How can I help you..... I was asked by the Houzz team to help with any unanswered questions.. so if you have something you need help with ask me!

I had a look at your post above...

So have a think about the colours in your home... Are there some that stand out... I tend to work with fewer and use layering techniques.. So I start with a theme colour and work from there... Do you have specific furnishings that would benefit from a specific colour choice... If you think of the walls and flooring and what is in the room, how much light it gets and of course things like curtains.. that will help you coordinate the room, so it's seamless.. that goes for the rest of the house.. You may want to consider how you create a home that has a coherent look throughout..

One other thing.. look at the placement of things.. The flat screen tv if you want to have it above the fireplace needs to hang higher.. I'd say at least a 10 cm gap so it sits properly.. Can the sofa face the fireplace? Also the hanging canvases are too high over the sofa... They really should be in the mid part of the wall from above the sofa height to the cornice if you have one.. So placements of these wall hangings are quite important..

• lidiacarda
    8 years ago

It's great you are trying to answer all the questions. I was following Daniels answers during the whole live chat and I wasn't lucky to get an answer. So it feels nice you will! Thanks!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello lidiacarda,

It's lovely to be asked- I too have been approached twice to host a tv interiors program so not so dissimilar! Maybe I'll have a show at some point! :)) Well I didn't see your post above so let me know what question you have.. :))

• lidiacarda
    8 years ago

Thank you for your reply! This was my question :

Hello. I hope I make in time! We bought a Victorian house recently and I'm stuck with the living room decor! The room is south facing. I don't know what curtains/shutters would go well with the settee and rest of the room. I like traditional English or I could go totally tropical! The floor is mahogany wood and I don't know what type of sofa to buy or the sitting arrangement. I was thinking traditional brown Chester! But will it stand out next to the dark floor? I was thinking perhaps a Chester in pistachio velvet but I'm not sure it would suit the house ... If you gave me a hint it would be fantastic! I took a pano photo of the lounge. I hope it helps. It's a bit bright.

Thanks!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello lidiacarda,

The photo is really small and very hard to make out at all and spatially - but the floor looks nice and dark so I would suggest a dark rug if you're having one so it doesn't define the floor space and make it appear smaller! It's a preferred method of mine if a rug is a must..

For the sofa a Chesterfield is a lovely choice and with the mahogany wood something like plum or notes of plum if you're going for fabric with some lighter accent cushions.. If leather then again a dark plum/brown colour would be lovely as this will sit well and give the appearance of being less solid visually even though its a large piece of furniture. The better it is too with age!

The light wood cabinet in the room looks nice from what I can make out.

If there is space either side of the fireplace to situate a chest of drawers or cabinet and possibly the book case of height in the room there on the opposite side.

As I can't see the room it's just a suggestion. In this way it frames the fireplace and then you could situate the sofa to either face the fireplace or perhaps have 1 sideways on and another or an armchair or two opposite it.

That way you create a focus of the room with the fireplace as centre piece. Then you can layer the room by perhaps choosing a plum colour or something dark and warm for the chimney breast.. Team this with lighter shades in the alcoves for accent and round the room.

Mahogany is such a rich colour that I'd consider this as the inspiration and layer up the room to suit... Chalky dense colours from little Green might be nice in various shades of plum.. A coffee table with marble and other textures would be nice too think rich textures here and materials...

Large mirror over the mantle and for the windows.. Consider the plum shades for the windows as well as for the skirtings and architrave. I do love a period home where the woodwork has been included into the scheme other than white or cream!

Lastly for the curtains why not have something plummy in velvet with beautiful tassel tiebacks... It's rich and elegant as will be the room! :))

• suesykes
    8 years ago

Hi AJ....Sue sykes here

I absolutely love your comments, just perfect. I have put in a few earth tones as throws and already it has made a difference. To do everything you suggest ( which I think would make a perfect room) is probably a bit too expensive at the moment ( one of those £1000 interior design jobs, I feel) however, I'll work towards it, and thank you so much.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Sue,

I'm delighted! Thank you !! I think it will look absolutely lovely and it's such a fantastic space.. Also you'd be surprised as things don't often cost the earth if you have a good eye! So don't worry about taking your time with it! You'll make it perfect in no time and you're welcome! :))

• Emma Evanson
    8 years ago

Thanks AJ, your comments are really interesting, some of those things I had noticed myself in taking the pictures; it's funny how you look at things differently in a photograph! A couple of points. The TV is hanging in that position because of limited space, it was higher originally and looked weird, we are about to put a panel behind the TV, hopefully that'll help. The main sofa is positioned where it is because that's where it fits, the other brown leather sofa is opposite the fire. We have a very limited budget and not so much space, plus there are some odd angles; all of these hinder. What do you mean about layering colours? At the moment we have loads of colours going on, but I rather like that! I guess the main colours are grey and orange, do we go for shades of those or stick religiously to the two colours? I fear that it would look a bit show home if that's the case! Thanks again for your help.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Emma,

Isn't there a round mirror also above the tv? Ideally it needs to be one or the other. I really do think the tv can go slightly higher by about 10 cm at least but of course entirely your choice. I'm just giving some suggestions and of course what is comfortable for you as viewers!

Fewer colours really do help to bring a scheme together and definitely not show home! I have yet to see one I like.. I also don't believe it that term, homes can be beautiful but they must be natural and elegant rather than staged. So yes what I'm suggesting is keep to shades of your favourite colours as this will compliment. That is what I meant about layering. This can also be applied to textures, accessories etc.. Smaller budgets are also no problem - you may not be able to do everything you want in 1 go but don't feel this hinders!

The main thing is that you find what works for you and enjoy the process! :))

• Emma Evanson
    8 years ago

Thanks again, Do you mean you've yet to see a show home that you like, or a colour in my room? Also, sorry for keeping on, I'm looking for a warm, pale grey paint for the walls. The one I've used is Polished Pebble by Dulux, but it's quite a blueish lillacy colour which I don't like, it makes everything seem cold and oppressive. I've been looking at Farrow and Ball and Little Greene, but I keep going for the beiges....urghh! Cheers

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Emma,

I meant show homes! For me the idea of beautiful has to feel organic, not contrived the idea that a home is curated not staged. So that's what I meant.. Little Greene has some nice chalky colours and by that I mean the finish.. They have a whole grey section.. Have a look I'm sure you can find something you'd like and do please get a tester pot - this is important as charts are often quite different!

Its rare to find a hand painted colour chart but when they aren't you really want to see it in situ.

Look at the light levels too. Mono, French grey mid and pale could be good.. For deeper I like Grey Moss, Scree, and Lead. You might also like Urbane grey. They do have a few earthy and mauve colours in their grey section too! :))

• Emma Evanson
    8 years ago

Thank you ;)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome Emma :))

• lidiacarda
    8 years ago

Dear AJ, thank you so much for your advice! Very helpful! I know the photo is not great ... Looking forward your live chat! ;-)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Lidia,

Most welcome and glad to hear my suggestions are useful. Yes indeed! I'd love to do a live chat! :))

• tia2406
    8 years ago

its nice at least those of us who's questions did not get answered as time ran out got some advice from someone,wish i had seen it earlier as my question was one of those that did not get to be asnwered

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tia,

I will have a look tomorrow and see how I can help you :))

• mohammed
    8 years ago

Hello AJ INTERIOR STYLING LTD,

If you will have time tomorrow, could you also help me with my hallway question that i had posted?Thank you

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tia,

So when looking for ways to layer schemes and colour themes, why not look at what you have already in terms of colours... Creams, Stone colours, various shades of browns, greys which might be nice with some accents of old silvers and pale yellows, with some deeper greys and grey/browns... Think walls, cushions, throws and lovely accessories... This is a great way to bring the home together as a whole as the theme carries through and creates flow as you said.. With open plan you can then see how the various elements of the home compliment the next..

Placements.. Ideally I'd want to suggest moving the dining table more centrally in front of the sliding doors in the dining room.. So it defines the space.. A large wall mirror would be lovely to not only bounce light round the room but is nice and reflective especially when evening entertaining..

Perhaps lower the cord on the ceiling light so it can hang lower perhaps over the dining table and think of a lovely shade to frame the table... Vase of flowers..

In the kitchen area add some textures.. piles of chopping boards etc.. Woods offer texture and warmth and would compliment the scheme which is full of earthy tones and will compliment the worktop.. Perhaps move the microwave to the end and facing sideways at that end of the galley- Washing machine end.

With the floral design on the rug you could tie this theme in by adding some canvases or something decorative for the walls.. For child friendly... maybe a chalk board wall in the kitchen area- doesn't have to be black as there are a range of colours and you can mix with white chalk paint and create a colour you like.. It could be for messages, shopping lists or for the weekly drawing competition! : ))

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mohammed,

Okay so one thing you could do is paint that wooden door to compliment the wall colour surrounding it.. That way the eye is not drawn instantly to the end of the hall.. If you're facing that door. Front door? At the very other end.. you could paint that a darker colour complimenting the other shade and this will bring it forward to the eye... Keep to the scheme you have as it needs to be light and airy.. That wall alone could benefit from being darker and try a few testers to see... I don't think it needs to be a stark contrast to have the effect needed..

Something else that would be good is to paint the wood work roughly the same shade as the walls.. This also helps to create a seamless finish rather than outline all the doors (architrave) and skirting. In this way the walls are one.

Keeping the white doors white helps to break the hall up.. Maybe consider propping some of them open which might allow light from the room to filter out into the hall and consider mirrors which will bounce light round the hall as well. It may be though that they look better closed... So see what you think here..

Mirrors or a large mirror would also be a nice way to dress the wooden chest which would be lovely with something large and rectangular over it and perhaps a centre piece bowl or something decorative here.. Think large but shallow and round... Perhaps some lovely potpourri inside or even plain to show off the bowl itself...

Also consider painting the radiator.. That way it doesn't jut out and again draw attention to itself.. A good primer like Zinsser Bulls Eye 123 is good and then the colour you have on the walls.. ie matt not gloss! Gloss rads don't look good I think as they should blend with walls not stand out...Unless the walls are lacquered! : ))

• gillcar
    8 years ago
    Hello AJ
    I've been watching your responses to unanswered queries from the Daniel Hopwood event and I'd be very grateful if you could consider my question which I posted on Friday. All advice very gratefully received!
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello gillcar,

Let me have a look... : ))

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello gillcar,

A very nice project indeed... So what I would do with two rooms joining as semi open plan would be to treat the two as one space.. My suggestion then would be to have the same flooring in both kitchen and living room.. So the entire space is seamless and creates flow... It also means that the "areas" are not broken and divided... This makes for a larger space spatially..

You're right though if you want to use two different flooring, then really the best option is right at the edge of kitchen and beginning living room although I am not so keen on this idea.. but! You must do what you think you would like. Maybe get a few tiles as samples of both and see how it would look on the floor before you decide on the whole thing..

A really simple and plain straight transition without any threshold divides or other such things some carpet/floor fitters use.. I personally hate these of any kind..

• tia2406
    8 years ago

Hi AJ

Thank you for all the suggestions and advice.I think i have a rough idea now as to which direction i can take to finish off my open plan space.

Just one other quick question, what advice could you give me about lighting? My idea was to use a silver track light in the kitchen but i am not sure if that means i must also pick a silver light for the dining and living room because you can see into all three spaces. Ideally i wanted to steer away from silver as i feel i already have enough of gray shades in the space.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome Tia,

With regards to lighting... I'm not a fan of track lights but possibly consider one if you want that blends with the ceiling.. that way you get the angled lights where you want but you don't need to introduce another element.. :))

I would prefer to suggest perhaps a pendant kitchen light or wall lighting as alternatives to the above or a track light..

• tia2406
    8 years ago

Thank you again for all your help :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Welcome again Tia, : ))

• mohammed
    8 years ago

Hello AJ,

Thank you for giving my wife and i some suggestions and ideas for our hallway.The doors are left open all day to let in the natural light. The wooden chest in the alcove is only temporary that's why its bare,we intend to have mirrored sliding doors put in.

At the far end of the wall we were debating on whether to put art or a framed mirror, any thoughts on that? As it is a small hallway with a patterned tile we did not want to over power the space with something too dramatic for the ceiling light. Would something with glass or a shade in fabric/silver/chrome be better suited? Also would adding a bench for putting on shoes be too much for this small space? The bench would go on the opposite wall of were the radiator is but further down towards were the wooden chest is.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Mohammed,

You're welcome ! I think the wooden chest is actually nice and I would leave that and have a mirror over it.. It's looks good but of course entirely your choice. The copper/rose gold or glass bulb light is the one to consider out of the ones you have chosen but the glass bulb would give you more light! However it's more subtle... Reason why I'd be inclined to leave the wooden chest and add something there.. Wood offers warmth and texture which is why I think it's a nice idea..

At the far end I would only suggest a mirror (if the hall is really short but it didn't appear to be) You can always try a long mirror and then try adding something like a column and a sculpture or a vase of flowers or something decorative to stand in front.

If you want to add a bench seat by all means or maybe a console table would be nicer or useful - it really depends on how you use your hall.

:))

• mohammed
    8 years ago

Thank you for helping us with the last few questions.You are correct the hallways is not short. My wife was thinking along the same lines as you about the vase of flowers at the far end of the hallways as she loves flowers but we were worried if it would look too cluttered.

The reason why we wanted the bench was for comfort and convenience while putting on our shoes. At the moment us, along with any guests that come over have to stand or sit on the floor to put on or take off there shoes as we don't wear shoes around the apartment. Storage is a struggle and that's why we were thinking of using the alcove in the hallway to store shoes, jackets and other things. We were thinking of a custom built floor to sealing wardrobe with mirrored sliding doors.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

You're welcome Mohammed.. So the thing to do is decorate the hall according to how you use it.. You have both decided how you want to approach this so I think all there is to do now is to go for it.. : ))

• mohammed
    8 years ago

Yeah you are right, we should just go for it. I think we were just afraid of committing to any idea and then regret it later on encase if it doesn't look right. Thank you for steering us in the right direction and finalize our ideas once and for all. Thank you again, we appreciate all the help and advice you have given us.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most welcome Mohammed :))

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.