elliot_cowan

Value for money

Elliot Cowan
8 years ago
Hello,

I'm in consultation with a reputable architect I actually discovered via this website and he seems really good, switched on and approachable. He's now sent me a proposal for our two story side and one story back extension to our detached house. It's considerable more just get to planning than the local workaday architect I approached also. But due to us being in a conservation zone, the local (North north London) was extremely pessimistic about our plans and felt he was a bit prickly too.

The estimate for the work by the Houzz guy is around £150k before VAT and fees so we're looking at around £200k in total, £23k for him, which sounds like the expected 11-13% I've heard architects take home. But what I don't want to happen is outlay £9k for concept/design only to get refused at planning because of ye olde conservation conservatism. And to be honest these figures are all mighty rich for us right now anyhow, but might be ok in a year or so when we remortgage.

What should I be watching out for at this stage?

Many thanks all.

E

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.