uk1982

I need some things to complete our bedroom!

uk1982
8 years ago

Hello all.

Our bedroom is very light, airy, and serene, it's paler than it seems in the picture. I love it, but there are some things missing, and I also feel like I've confused styles a bit (part scandi, part hotel room, part shabby chic...there's a rustic looking distressed grey lantern in the corner you can't see!).

I need:

1) something to hang on the wall behind the bed

2) an accessory for on top of the drawers to the right hand side (I'm not attached to the photo frame), maybe a vase or something?

3) a light fitting for the ceiling (just now I have a horrible pendant shade which can go).

I feel like the room is lacking some drama but I don't want to add colours (I don't like the yellow or orange accent colours which seem popular in grey schemes). I'd be up for metals, dark grey, patterns, etc.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them!!!

p.s. I bought a beautiful large rectangular mirror to hang behind the bed, but my mum is frightened it falls on me in my sleep so it's going back!

Comments (41)

• Laura K
    8 years ago
    Definitely a headboard to complete your bed and 2 slim mirrors either side of the headboard above the bedside cabinets.
    uk1982 thanked Laura K
  • Related Discussions

Please can anyone help with a Design Plan for our Bedroom?

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Claire, Do the doors actually open inwards into the room? How about considering place the bed in the center of the room facing the doors? You would disguise the back of the bed with a thin console table which have some dressing style storage (jewelry etc) and can hold some tall flowers and candles to set the mood on entering. There's lots of ways you can add the luxury feel you are looking but this would create real impact and make the bed the real feature of the space. If budget allows I would hang lights from the ceiling ad beside lights and layer up on dressing for an even more luxurious feel. I have attached one of my clients bedroom design (single room re-design package) to show you the hanging lighting idea - if this isn't possible then a well placed small chandelier style light would have a great effect on the space. I hope this helps and I look forward to seeing the finished room - it will look stunning I am sure! all the best, Gina
    ...See More

Need some advice for my student house bedroom approx. 9ft by 11ft

Q

Comments (33)
    White or pale walls are ok, DOn't feel that the only way to decorate4 is by painitng the walls. Decide if you want white on white scheme, or a pop of colour. If so, cushions and curtains are the way to go. Decide on a colour and stick to it. TRy the 70-20-10 rule where your 70 is white4 (your walls) and 20 is curtqains and cushions and 10 is a secondary colour such as gold or silver for hardwaqre and ornaments and presto you're done.
    ...See More

Design Dilemma - bedrooms in our bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    Good morning, It may be worth measuring the room and uploading a plan, so that Houzz designers can properly assess the room and provide an accurate layout for you. Get some measurements of walls, windows and doors, as well as the ceiling height.
    ...See More

Hi I’m updating our bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Love your choices, will look very smart by the looks of things. Another idea could be a grey wallpaper behind the bed, or navy curtains with your existing colours. But I think it will look
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Hepburn Designs
    8 years ago

All agreed, you need a headboard. I would suggest a fabric buttoned headboard 4' (120cm height) in a mid grey velvet or duck egg blue. You can go with a french pleated button or more contemporary. If budget allows I would change the bedside lockers and tall boys for 2 wider chest of drawers to either side giving a nice balance but still allowing fro good storage. If you let me know what country you are based in I will give you ideas of products to buy and if you are on a tight budget or have some cash to spend. I can also give you some ideas for above the bed when I have a bit more info about you. Thanks, Deirdre

uk1982 thanked Hepburn Designs
  • karen6696
    8 years ago
    Perhaps framed artwork/photo? You can get lightweight frames that have plastic rather than glass or alternatively have boxed canvas art or prints, if you fear items falling while you're asleep.
    uk1982 thanked karen6696
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you everyone! Definitely a headboard then. I've been looking for a mid-grey one at a reasonable price so I will keep searching. The units which look like tall boys are actually wider than they appear in the photo, more than twice the width of the bedside units, and they are new so my husband would kill me if I changed them :)

• uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm in the UK.

• Laura Betchette
    8 years ago
    Sorry this is really random but we are desperate to find like/sheer for the kitchen patio doors and just seen yours and they look beautiful!!! Do you mind me asking where you got them from? Thank you!!!
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello, do you mean the curtains? They are from Ikea (Aina, Grey, £45), They are kind of a linen fabric and less sheer than they look in the picture but I really love them! They come in white too, and also a natural colour too I think.

• uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Should have said, we are on a fairly tight budget! Thanks again everyone for your input.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. The room looks lovely. Have you tried turning that chest of drawers onto the window ŵall?
    I would then add add faux flowers in white but with some greenery. Oka do some great ones but they're not cheap. I would layer up on the throws, a faux artic fox may look good with scandi look but if not something with a pattern picking up some charcoal. Maybe also swap a couple of your cushions for something with a pattern? Perhaps a collection of antique Mercury style vases and perfume bottles etc on the other chest layering the height? I really like your lamps but they may be too small once you've added a headboard, perhaps something with a patterned shade or in a darker shade of grey. If you move the hurricane lamps you can go for something with a much bigger base. As the furniture is all on that ŵall I would get a headboard with curved edges and something that is taller than the left chest. A pendant light with some texture would be great. If you're on a budget perhaps the dandelion style one from ikea?

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello kconboy1982,

I think what could be lovely here is texture... You want to keep to very pale scheme which is nice for this room... I think subtle but beautiful fabrics and colours are really fantastic and often more sophisticated than putting a bright this and that for accent.. Consider another way to add a headboard... Two squared style large (bolster) cushions such as those from a sofa (back rests) could work if they are covered in a lovely fabric... I have two such cushions I saved from an old sofa I threw out... There is not a lot of height and so I feel this would be ideal.. as it keeps the space open and the feeling of flow... Dimensions 65 x 57 or so... depending on bed size, so again a guide...

It doesn't define the space in the way a large upholstered headboard would do.. It would actually go very well with the cushion/pillow arrangement you have. There's a lovely fabric... Bilbao Granite from Designers Guild... You could have two sides done, ie front and sides and a plain backing to save ££ if not the whole. It's not a hugely expensive fabric but it has a lovely texture and colour.. I have deliberately not included a picture as they don't do it justice.. For an additional accent why not a glass vase.. something smoky would be nice... again DG do some really lovely ones, which would be rather nice..

Another bed throw could be nice for the bottom portion to add another texture and colour.. Think Issey Miyake. Then why not add slightly larger shades on the bedside lamps that again compliment the colour scheme, these too could have a nice textured linen or something ... For the bedspread idea, it't not exactly what I envisage but it's a guide image : ))

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs
    8 years ago

Agreed with AJ on adding texture with throws etc. For an inexpensive and personal way to add artwork you can buy frames that will take an A4 sheet of paper from IKEA, B&Q and many other shops. In a scheme like yours I would do black and white photos of your favourite place or yourself and your husband (No kids in the bedroom), you can print these on your printer and your done! Alternatively botanical prints, check pinterest. I also use an app called waterlogue, you can take photos on you phone and the app instantly changes them to watercolours, sepia etc. Great way to personalise your wall art and not expensive. I usually hang the pictures 4" apart top and bottom. In your bedroom I would hang 5 across the wall above the bed. You might also paint the headboard wall in a deeper shade of grey or a textured wallpaper, check out www.tangletree-interiors.co.uk. Good luck with it!!

Deirdre

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs
    8 years ago

Check out my idea books on bedrooms and pictures for some great ideas :)

• uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love the idea of adding pattern and texture instead of colour! I will look for patterned cushions with pattern incorporating charcoal I think, and perhaps pick up the charcoal in larger lamp shades. I think I'll remove the hurricanes altogether. B&Q have a nice white textured pendant that I saw this evening so I might give that a try. Off to look at textured throws! Thank you everyone.

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Just a thought but have you looked into making your own headboard? You can get wood cut to size at a timber yard or some diy stores. A bit of wadding, fabric and staple gun and you can have something unique. It should be a lot cheaper

uk1982 thanked minnie101
  • PRO
    Dabrovska Design
    8 years ago

Hi there,

I'd personally advise changing the bedside lamps to larger once. That in itself would add a bit of drama and improve the proportions around the bed. At the moment the chests seam to take too much of a centre stage.

I wouldn't necessarily accessorise the chest. You could perhaps put there a nice decorative tissue box (Zara home?) or indeed keep the picture frames there.

A large scale 'delicate' photograph would definitely add to the serenity of the space. But would, at the same time, create a sense of space and a certain element of interest and drama.

Here's the illustration of my advise.

All the best,

Joanna

uk1982 thanked Dabrovska Design
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow thank you, I will have a look at some lamps online, that looks great.

• Chantal Ouyang
    8 years ago

Will go with @Dabrovska Design's ideas. Also, you could try to make the room less pale by adding a big abstract art print. Good luck!

• PRO
    Dabrovska Design
    8 years ago

Have a look at Urbanara for the throws. Beautiful, wide range and very affordable.

Here are couple of suggestions but do explore as there are loads!

Sorrento Bed Linen - Winter bedroom decor · More Info

Veiros Cotton Quilt - Light grey · More Info

Luoma Cotton Quilt · More Info

• Micheál Healy
    8 years ago

You could check out this throw from Avoca Handweavers:

http://www.avoca.com/lambswool-throw-spectrum-grey-woven-in-our-mill-in-ireland/?mid=3&sid=88&noredir=1

That's a grey as you said that was your preference, but they're in several colours and patterns. We have a pale blue one and it's a nice colour in a bright, pale room.

• Alun Borland
    8 years ago
    I had a similar colour scheme to your and budget restrictions. I used lavender pinkish and purples to break up the bland and keep it serene
    You can easily recover a cheap headboard in the ikea fabric you used for curtains.
    I took an abstract image in the colours I liked and uploaded it to a canvas creation website , the stretch to the resolution made it even more abstract and then I matched done resultant times with low cost throws cushions and lampshades , try wayfair and the range .
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Hi there,

Depending on your budget, you could either invest in original abstract art or some professionally designed and framed posters which are slightly less costly. Adding some pop art style of wall frames might help brighten up the space. Here are some suggestions that might help:

Original Abstract Paintings:

Abstract patterns · More Info

Pretty Lady A3 acrylics portrait · More Info

Pop Art:

Pop Art collection · More Info

Pop Art collection · More Info

OR minimalistic artwork, like:

Hope this helps, you can browse more styles and collections

here: https://kokils.com/

• PRO
    Konvalina Design Studio
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,

How about painting on metal in subtle colours that would add drama, but also keep the serene bedroom feel? Being on metal means it is very thing and almost becomes part of the wall. We would be happy to create something in the size and colour that would suit the space and your taste. PM me for more information and if you would have any questions at all.

I do agree with previous comments that headboard would look great there!

With best wishes,

"Portrait of a Landscape" Painting on Metal · More Info

• PRO
    Parable Designs Ltd
    8 years ago

We have some beautiful patterned coloured pots that would go well on top of your drawers. They come in a range of different designs, can be any colour you wish and can be painted too.

Luxury Patterned Pots with raised 3D designs in relief · More Info

• PRO
    Jayne Leighton Herd Art & Design
    8 years ago

Hi! In case you're still looking for ideas... I create statement abstract art working on a variety of surfaces including plexiglass and metal, as well as canvas. You could consider an artwork on black or clear plexiglass, for example, in a colour palette of steel, silver, white, gold,... Here are just a couple examples of paintings currently available on my website: www.originalabstractpaintings.com.

More info about 'Interwoven Steel'

More info about 'Interwoven Carres'

I also do commissions for bespoke art so it would be no problem to
    create something in the size and colours to suit you and your room.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions if this is of interest.
    Best wishes, Jayne :-)

• PRO
    Corinne Natel Art Ltd
    8 years ago

Hi - if you require any original abstract artwork for your bedroom, have a look at my work and feel free
    to contact me: www.corinnenatel.co.uk. Here are some example pieces that would work well with your colour scheme:

• PRO
    Helen Sykes Art
    7 years ago

Your bedroom is looking nice. I agree that you need a headboard, also hanging large work above a bed is bad Feng Shui. I see where you are going with the room, but I feel like you need another colour to anchor and keep it together. Something very pale, a soft pink perhaps. Or choose a darker wood on some items. If you decide on the over arching style (i.e., Malibu beach house or New England) you will be able to take the bedroom to an end result with a few more tweaks.

• uk1982
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I haven't done too much yet but I have made some small changes so I thought I would show you my progress! I wish the photos could show how bright and airy it is! it also smells of coconut thanks to my favourite room spray :) thank you everyone for your input so far.
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    pics
  • Midcenturylass
    7 years ago
    The headboard makes a wonderful difference!
  • PRO
    Anna Siodelska
    7 years ago

Hi, it is a very nice bedroom already but you can have a look at my wooden wall clocks as they would certainly add some edge to it:

Large Shabby Chic Centrepiece Wall Clock- 100cm

Large Grey Shabby Chic Skeleton Wooden Clock- 100cm

Many more designs available on my website: PeakArt Artistic Clocks

Thanks a lot

Anna

• Patricia Suarez
    7 years ago
    You can make a headboard yourself - not this style but to give you a style. I quite like the pillows to read and it gives you a good stand for pictures too
  • Patricia Suarez
    7 years ago
    Sorry - only saw the headboard now. Looks lovely
  • tezz4
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would put the pair of glass candle lamps together on the right side chest and opt for sidelamps with more oomph - something bigger and squat. You could also add other ornaments in different heights grouped together - don't split matching items too symmetrically, balance is key but symmetry may be boring.

A geometrically patterned rug or two will look nice alonside the bed and/or at the foot of it. A narrow console unit would look nice beneath the tv; you could go for vintage as your style is very simple. Don't be afraid to dare a little - playing safe is not always the safest!!! Add a comfy reading chair with lampstand and cushions and a footwarmer or plaid on the bed and some more wall art - the heart is a great start but add more. Think layers.

You have a great basic palate to funk it up a lot!

• tezz4
    6 years ago

uk1982 thanked tezz4
  • uk1982
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, thank you for your reply! I made some changes a while back after I made the post...

My Home · More Info

I actually did some of the things you have suggested and I'm much happier with it now. I still have some work to do breaking out of my obsession with grey and white, but I added texture, metallics, a little pattern and bigger lamps.

• uk1982
    Original Author
    6 years ago

NB I took that photo with a wide angle lens so there is far less floor space than there appears.

• tezz4
    6 years ago

You could add more items on the bare surfaces. But you have done well!!!

uk1982 thanked tezz4
  • donut99
    6 years ago

Headboard, in wood, to warm up the colour scheme!

• PRO
    Industville
    6 years ago

Hi, with regards to the pendant light, I would recommend introducing some colour to your space- perhaps a medium sized pendant in an antique brass or copper which will bring some warmth to your space.

• cavgirl
    6 years ago
    I think it's lovely! Moving those two tall cabinets have really redirected the focus to the bed.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.