tgross39

Which Builder? General Advice

tgross39
8 years ago

Good Afternoon, I hope you're having a good Monday. I now have planning permission for a single story extension and I am therefore going out to builders (some recommended, some through the website Federation of Master Builders) to secure a contract for the extension and some other internal works. As I am new to this I would welcome your much valued advice on the following:-

1. Some builders are VAT registered and others are non VAT registered. Knowing the threshold, I really do not understand how a builder can do a sizeable project like mine and stay non-VAT registered with other works throughout the rest of the year. It appears that companies are struggling to give a competitive price when they have to add VAT. What have others who have had building work done as I want to do everything correctly with the contract documented and paperwork for everything.

2. Should I be provided with guarantees for roofs, kitchens etc as some builders I have spoken to say they cannot provide such guarantees which I am not happy with.

Sorry for the long message but I would really appreciate your advice on these points.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.