noisettes

Could this ugly house ever be a dream home?

noisettes
8 years ago
My husband is desperate for us to move to his parents' home - because of the view from the lounge and master bedroom . It is a 70's semi and has got to be one of the ugliest houses I have ever seen ! ( I Wanted to move to a period home next)
However , the panoramic view of Swansea Bay from the rear is amazing !
I would take down the garage at the front , and that conservatory/box at the back - but what to replace them with ? Could it be made beautiful ?

Comments (47)

• Lyndsey P
    8 years ago
    It is an ugly house, but that view- wow! I can see why your husband loves it.

Only you will know if you can learn to love the front view- does is have everything else you're looking for other than the period look?
    noisettes thanked Lyndsey P
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Crisper render, full length windows to admire the view- perhaps an upside down house would be better with living rooms on the first floor.
    Often older properties have higher ceilings- perhaps you can increase the feeling of space in this house by making it more open plan, by opening up ceilings to the roof above to create height. Perhaps the conservatory can be replaced with an extension that has a lower floor and a higher ceiling than the main house to make it feel bigger.
    I don't mind the garage but perhaps an oak style door, and a gable end wall will make it feel more expensive.
    noisettes thanked Jonathan
  • Related Discussions

Could this ugly house ever be a dream home?

Q

Comments (3)
    Great view! I agree you could really warm the front with planting raised beds etc and perhaps a red coloured funky garage door. Out back modernise with decking and lose the concrete post things
    ...See More

Your dream home

Q

Comments (4)
    My dream home would have an impressive entrance with a modest room nearby for coats, shoes, prams etc. I would want a small but grand living room for entertaining guests, with two sofas facing each other and a fireplace, this room would be near a wet bar and wine room. I would have a dining room with a large circular table for 8 and a butlers pantry next to it. The kitchen would be big and sociable and access the garden and include casual dining and room for everyone to watch TV comfortably. I would have two small rooms off the kitchen:- One would be a pantry with a freezer and an overflow fridge for parties. The other would be an appliance room and a slow cooker, stand mixer, bread maker etc could all be at hand but hidden from main view. There would be a side access to the house from the parking area and garage. The garage should be big enough to be able to park and get out comfortably. My preferred choice would be to not see the cars or garage doors from the front but equally I don’t like driveways that surround houses like a moat cutting them off from the garden. Near the house I would like a covered area so that outside furniture is protected from the elements and I would want features that make the outside space useable of an evening such as lighting, an outdoor fireplace and heaters. Upstairs it is important to me to have a hotel quality bedroom, lots of storage and although I like an ensuite it is important to me to not have the WC too close to my pillow or tooth brush. I think it is nice to have an upstairs area with a TV. An upstairs laundry room is practical and I think it is lovely to give guests their own bathroom. For me slight higher ceilings and tall windows lend grandeur to even very modern houses. I prefer visually interesting houses which can be achieved with symmetry, asymmetry, expensive materials or interesting features such as the roofline or windows. My perfect house would sit behind an electric gate. Please build all of this for me...
    ...See More

Renovation - very ugly looking house and looking to update! Ideas??

Q

Comments (9)
    @Jonathan I agree the house does have potential. The reason for bringing the porch or entrance forward is currently when you enter the house the stairs are very close and I just want that space and more of an open feeling. I would like the arch shape entrance in this picture rather than the style of porch that it is currently. I’m hoping this can work. @Emily unfortunately that can’t be bought forward as a lot of other work is going to be carried out extending at the back. That bathroom will be made into an en-suite as it’s tiny and that will link to master bedroom. I am really liking the stone colour around the windows and arch and I’m thinking of that as an option, just wondering how to achieve this.
    ...See More

Help make our ugly house a lovely house?!

Q

Comments (17)
    That's really clever. I didn't think we would have the space in the hall but we do. Thanks @Jonathan I will get the architect to redraw. I need to think through a long lounge too, the door currently cuts it into 2 thirds but maybe that's no bad thing.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Studio Basheva
    8 years ago

Of course noisettes! Any house can be transformed. I will recommend having a larger pane rear glass doors. See if you can make the rear extension larger. Good Luck!

noisettes thanked Studio Basheva
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your comments and suggestions . Some very good ideas Jonathan. To answer your question Lyndsey - no the interior layout is not good - apart from the lounge and Master bedroom . We would have to spend a lot of money on this project - I estimate 100k - to make it into a home I could live in . I guess the next step is a good architect . Unless the road side look of the house can be improved , I would be inwardly cringing every time I drove to the house .

• noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Basheva - there is plenty of room to extend at the back - the garden is huge and drops in 3 tiers . However , I fear the neighbours would go ballistic as we may spoil some of their view !

• chloehall94
    8 years ago

Wow that view! Make the most of it by tearing down that conservatory at the back as you said and build a nice new one the length of the house. compliment with bifold doors and a nice patio area. Depending on what you have behind the conservatory area you could open up the whole house and create an open plan living area. With the extension, you could still have the balcony on the top but bring the theme of the downstairs upstairs and replace the doors and windows to whatever colour you choose the bifolds in. Or even have bifolds in the master suite, that would be a view to wake up to! The front is a tricky one due to not being able to see the potential until you take down that awful garage! Once it's taken out you will know what you do with it. Maybe add a big window to the main house behind where the garage once was (could possibly look like the picture I've added below. Then you could create a porch entrance on the right side of the house, or possibly just a roof to shelter the door to give the house a little more depth as its so flat already! Or maybe just a nice door with a nice frame would do!Would you be able to paint the brick/tiles on the house, maybe you can paint those to give it a fresh look! When your done, get a landscaper in for the front garden, lay a nice drive way down and I'm sure it can be your dream home!

Keep us updated would be great to know how this turns out!

• Claire Johnson
    8 years ago

I agree with all the above, you can probably get the back looking sleek and gorgeous with a good contemporary conservatory. The front might be more limited (planning restrictions?). Perhaps consider the addition of new porch and a climber or two- think wisteria, jasmine, or clematis, and maybe a ornamental ivy for winter interest

• Lauren
    8 years ago

Of course you can improve its appearance but it will never be the period property you want it to be. As its a semi detached house you will also always be restricted somewhat by how the neighbours house looks. Whilst you could change almost everything about it you'll still compare it visually to next door's.

That said if I had to take on a challenge like this I would remove the garage, build a full width porch with tile and white render or at least a gabled smaller porch to break up the flat frontage and then go to town on the landscaping. Rip out all the ugly walls, replace the side gate with an attractive black wrought iron one, plant smart looking hedges and train climbing roses up over the porch. Basically soften everything off and people will be so busy admiring the greenery that they won't really see the structure of the house. It would also tie in nicely with the gorgeous space you have.

noisettes thanked Lauren
  • Jonathan
    8 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/16551176

Perhaps you can't change the front of the house for fear of devaluing it as it would be substantially different from the rest of the street. Perhaps you should add an imposing entrance near the boundary
    noisettes thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Studio Basheva
    8 years ago

@noisettes, in my experience if were to go over to either side of your house with a freshly baked cake and explain what you wish to achieve, you may find people wish to stay on your good side when you come with an olive branch. Also, please do make the point if they were to go and do the same the property value will go up due to the additional work done.

Check out our extensions we have done successfully with the above strategy ;)

noisettes thanked Studio Basheva
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Chloe , Claire, Whirligig , Jonathan & Basheva . I very much appreciate your suggestions . I think the trailing roses etc might work as the 'front ' of the property gets afternoon / evening sun . (As do the bottom 2 tiers of the garden ) However the sun disPpears from the back of the house by 1pm so I wonder are the bi fold doors still worth installing ? Maybe for the view alone ?

• Claire Johnson
    8 years ago

:) Hope it all goes well! Doors at the back would give you a lovely light interior and bring the outside in, the view is spectacular (very jealous!) so I would say go for it!

noisettes thanked Claire Johnson
  • PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    8 years ago

I would also consider incorporating glass to glass corner details at the corner of any potential extension to maximise the panoramic views.

noisettes thanked Oasys Property Solutions
  • Skelpie 5
    8 years ago
    Have you seen tonight's 'ugly house to lovely house' with George Clark on Channel 4? You should check it out - I think something similar would work beautifully for this house. Lovely wooden cladding and Windows altered to make more of the view. We've used wooden cladding on our 60's conversion and it really modernises the exterior of a property.
    noisettes thanked Skelpie 5
  • Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    Do you need the full length of the garage on the front of your house? if it were shorter you could add a pitched roof which would make a huge difference, also changing the tiles on the front would help. Your view is fabulous, keep us updated.
    noisettes thanked Tracy Sidaway
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am truly grateful for all your comments . I wish some of you 'Pro's ' were based in South Wales ! Tracy - I have even wondered if we could do a double height extension to the front of the house - as we definately don't want the garage , and the 3rd bedroom is tiny . We do need 2 car parking spaces at the front if possible too !

SM - please could you send photograph of your wooden cladding ?

• Nick Crowe
    8 years ago
    Of course it can-
    I will send photos of what people are doing to some of the 'less beautiful' houses in beautiful Georgian Bath U.K.... Which is not that far from South Wales
    noisettes thanked Nick Crowe
  • binty
    8 years ago

I agree with SM about wooden cladding . Lots of houses in Porthcawl ( just down the road) are doing this to uninspiring houses and the difference is amazing. Have a look round the nottage/ rest bay areas for inspiration

noisettes thanked binty
  • Tani H-S
    8 years ago
    I know these houses are ugly (we bought one!) and I resented the fact that where my O/H wanted to relocate to only have these style properties. We came from a Victorian house and it was a bit of a shock.
    However once I had come around to the fact that we could only get one in this area, i appreciated what if had and that others in the area were all the same. (Period wise).
    They will never be pretty, but some minor changes at the front (nice porch, trellis with flowers growing up, etc etc) it does make a difference.

As others have said, the front can easily be changed to beautify it without a full overhaul but you need to have a house internally you can live in.

Before thinking about anything else, look at ways the inside can be altered without it costing £100K - rooms changed, opened up etc and see how you feel then.
    noisettes thanked Tani H-S
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Inspiration for you: https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/2015/04/23/best-remodels-before-and-after/

http://www.backtofrontexteriordesign.com/gallery.html

Episode 1 of that new George Clarke show, the house was in the Vale of Glamorgan. Maybe look into using the same architect and get them to make the most of those views too: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/tv/george-clarkes-new-property-show-10946151
    noisettes thanked mrsmcee74
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your comments are inspiring ! Thank you for the links mrsmcee and I will take a look in Porthcawl . Yes Nick I would like to see those photos please .

The thing is Tani - I feel a home with age - I love Edwardian and 1930's architecture - has good bones to start with , and I would like to be proud of the exterior . However , I am excited at the thought of re-modelling the interior of the 'ugly house ' to my specifications - as I would be the' project Manager '.

• noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is definitely going to cost a minimum of 100k !

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    The house in the vale of Glamorgan ended up costing them £85k in the end. So might not be as bad as you think, particularly as you're a semi. You'd have an amazing home with an amazing view at the end of it :)
  • Tryphic
    8 years ago
    Remove the garage, what about growing a wisteria, or clematis up the front to soften the front and replace the conservatory at the back with a proper extension, remodel inside. It may well not be as much as you think. We had a small extension done, but had a steel put in to open up our back room into a dog leg open plan area, created and replaced two bathrooms, and utility area, had a whole new kitchen with new ring main, new boiler and general decorating and bamboo flooring fitted throughout most of the ground floor all for £40k. Draw up some plans to scale on graph paper and have a play first. You may be surprised!
    noisettes thanked Tryphic
  • Vicki Morris
    8 years ago

The back aspect of the house has more going for it than the front. Quite a lot of very lovely Manor Houses and larger period homes have plain entrances you drive up to with gravel etc, and more attention to detail on the side of the house looking over the beautiful gardens. Buckingham palace is an obvious example. Think of the garden as the front of the house, give it the character with your work and have all your best living spaces facing it, when you rework the interior I would retain a balcony even if you lose that conservatory.

the parking space is then at your back door. Make an obvious path leading to the new "front" of the house, through your side access.

Maybe you can grow to enjoy the surprise others will have drawing up to a clean plain house, and being led into a shockingly different space at the new frontage. You have an amazing secret only the invited will share.

Also, post, deliveries and you at the end of a hard day can enter through the new back entrance, the new front entrance will remain free of clutter, junk mail , muddy shoes etc, leading to a better feeling at the garden entrance.

noisettes thanked Vicki Morris
  • gilliifer
    8 years ago

If you are getting a free house then spend your money on an architect to showcase the view. You won't regret it.

• PRO
    Boom Developments
    8 years ago

Hi,

We are working on similar projects.

Things to consider are.

Not welcoming frontage and most people do not use garages,they have been standard ergonomic dimensions for so long they have not moved with range of cars,which rarely fit,so,suggest,subject budget.

We always draw plans for whole house and consider 'flow' of in to out uses and re-style-giving you options to phase in your priorities and develop your experience of the home internally and the landscape relationship.

Consider bring entrance to Front prominence by extending with porch on garage side and re-site strong pedestrian arrival (runway/cat walk to prominent new entrance/visitor arrival)

Convert garage to sanctuary room,perhaps with orangery style roof light,but with full wall internal doors to open out plan of interior(front to back /light and entertaining options).Screen from view of path/car if poss.

On rear,widen extension to give larger f/f bed room patio and consider cantilever over ground,giving sun screen and larger bedroom amenity(you could also 'cat slide main roof and extend bedrooms,with full bi fold to give uninterrupted panaromic views from bed!)

Ensure ground floor room has also full open rear elevation ,and complimentary in/out entertaining space/patio..what will you have there, jacuzzi, barbeque ,seating-very important to consider to plan water and power feeds to garden/amenity/use age.Clearly structuring everything to that stunning view and movement of sun path is mission critical.

Given age of house you can be very contemporary with landscaping and finishes (cladding/plant choice/lighting in and out etc)

mother things are possible-with your level changes at rear,you could poss take out ground floor to heighten room,level changes in side and be able to still flow out at level of garden due to level change,as ground level could be lowered and extend adjacent entertainment space

There you go! Boom!

Regards,

Martin

noisettes thanked Boom Developments
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Boom developments : really appreciate your ideas - to hear these ideas from a Pro is encouraging !

I had thought of the porch too and yes , I wanted it to lead into a hallway / snug/ sanctuary room which could be closed off , as the rest of downstairs could be very open plan possibly . Most of the walls are solid though , so about 3 ' steels ' would be needed .

I hear what you are saying about water/ power etc in garden - in fact If we go ahead - I would plan extensive work to the rear garden before starting the major project on the house .

Where are you based Boom Developments ?

• noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am going to need an architect who will also visit the site frequently . ( Does this normally happen ?)

There are other factors which I wasn't going to share , but may explain my reticence: I have to get some heart surgery to correct congenital defect out of the way first this Autumn . We have to buy out a sibling , and would have to sell our existing house to finance the project .

So , not the straightforward option by any means !

To all who have contributed : thank you as I do feel more positively about the house !!

• PRO
    Sharpdesign
    8 years ago
    make an offer on next door :)
  • katie2020
    8 years ago

It's an ugly house, but a fabulous opportunity.

You can make anything from four walls, both inside and out.

Stunning views and as it's not a period and listed house there are no constraints.

Good luck, be bold and all good wishes for your op' and the journey.

noisettes thanked katie2020
  • Caroline Zilboorg
    8 years ago

This is definitely a project for an architect! I am sure she or he will have lots of clever thoughts and the expense would be worth it-- and might well save you money in the end. I's also suggest calling on George Clark on the TV--why not? This looks like a perfect project for him! Good luck!

noisettes thanked Caroline Zilboorg
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Katie and Caroline ! Yes I think it would be perfect for George Clark - but not sure I could bear to see myself on TV ...ha!

• trasimeno
    8 years ago

So many good ideas and may I suggest you go to BBC iPlayer and look at the latest episode of The £100k House (Feb 2016) where a mother and son in Watford made brilliant changes to a similar looking house.

noisettes thanked trasimeno
  • maria galvano
    8 years ago
    Hi yes gorgeous rear views but with imagination any home can be made beautiful. From the front its just a view of the garage if you dont use it then I would start there either replace the roof on the garage with a pitch one or take down and redesign a new front extension. The suggested planting of climber's will please the eye I would be thinking about french doors or tall bay or similar as feel a too contemporary front build may stick out like an eyesore with other homes in your street. Feel that perhaps you need to forget how ugly the front is now and turn this ugly duckling into a swan. Go with the positives location is fantastic it needs a new front to welcome you to your new home the rear has endless possibilities I would concentrate on the entrance to your home the rest will just evolve as this takes shape. A beautiful front door a lovely window a pitched roof so not so boxey a plant or two and you will be well on your way. Good luck and please lets see after pics of this to be beautiful home.
    noisettes thanked maria galvano
  • PRO
    Xenon Interior refurbs Marilyn Watson
    8 years ago
    Have a beautiful wooden garage door to match the unusual front walls of the house
  • PRO
    Boom Developments
    8 years ago

Hi Noisettes,

To answer your comments.

We try to set the scene for the client brief in great detail,then using our combined team expertise ,Commercail Development/ Investment/Project management/ Architect/Building Engineer(Chartered/Fellows).

Its a collaborative excersise.

We work in all regions,tending to work closely with a client and the project.

Distance is not an issue as the project set up and client support at the beginiing tend to minimise any major issues and regular monitoring of events is factored in,if clients want that.

Have a look at range on web site,and contact me through there,happy to chat it through.

(testimonials on there and Linked in)

Regards,

Martin

noisettes thanked Boom Developments
  • 1guido
    8 years ago

Go on the RIBA website, find architects who are local to you and understand the local planners requirements - interview at least three, speak to people who have recently employed them ,and look at their finished projects - you want that local understanding

don't use people who are fishing for work via this website

noisettes thanked 1guido
  • PRO
    Falchi Interiors
    8 years ago

I love a challenge, I would extend the garage to the full width of the property. Re-position the front door to the center with a window and a contemporary wide door as shown.

Next I would remove all the hanging tiles and render as picture. For a full contemporary look change the windows to a dark grey profile.

This will create internally a larger entrance, giving the owner more internal space, keep it open plan! I cannot see any images of the existing interior to advise a room layout.

The back of the property looks rendered....I love the balcony, which I am hoping is off a living room??? Again if within budget replace the existing windows with dark grey profile, put dark grey bi folds where the sliding doors are at present, extend the patio by 1.5 meters, to allow for external seating area......keep it minimal. Spray the existing railings dark grey. A couple of strategically placed large pots with topiary trees.........Your Done!

noisettes thanked Falchi Interiors
  • noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love the smooth white render - that would really work . Also love the grey tiles ( slate ?) However the main roof is tiled with those terracotta tiles used so frequently in the 70's and it is a semi so the tiles 'meet ' I guess ? Not sure the grey roof would work on the extension therefore ? I really appreciate these ideas and photographs - thank you .

• PRO
    Falchi Interiors
    8 years ago

May be a flat roof in that case??

• noisettes
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am going to take another look at the roof ...maybe they are not a terracotta colour - hope not !

• PRO
    Carmen Constantine
    8 years ago

The suggestions in this log are all spot on and amazing. What an incredible view. Watched George Clark's Ugly House show last night and was completely blown away with the end result for £85k! Stunning. I'm sure you've already checked it out but here's the link if you need it http://www.channel4.com/programmes/ugly-house-to-lovely-house-with-george-clarke. Please do keep us posted

noisettes thanked Carmen Constantine
  • bu11ish
    8 years ago

I'd be tempted to knock down the garage and replace it with a wooden framed structure which one can see through... Although I really like the idea of extending the existing garage and moving the front door.

noisettes thanked bu11ish
  • A B
    5 years ago

I just clicked hoping for an amazing update! How did you get on?

• jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    The garage could become a gracious entry/library/small sitting room with ample coat storage. Integrate the sun room to the colour of the rest of the house; it’s your view room.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.