emmelinewe

Live Chat with Dulux Amazing Space: How to find your style

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago

You've decided to decorate your living room. You know you would like to go for a blue-grey colour scheme, but then what? What type of furniture should you get? And how will your furniture match the soft furnishings?

Finding your style can be tricky, even though there's so much inspiration out there! Luckily, the Dulux Amazing Space team have offered to help.

If you need the design team to take a look at your design dilemma, offer some industry advice and give you some support, join the Live Chat on the 20th of March, from 10am-1pm. The experts will steer you in the right direction and will assist in finding your style. It doesn't matter if you're looking to update your living room, bedroom or kitchen - all questions are welcome!

The Live Chat will start March 20th and will run between 10am - 1pm. Feel free to post your questions below and the design experts will answer them in the chat (you don't need a new link, the live chat will take place on this thread)!

Cosy Glamour · More Info

Simple Scandi Snug · More Info

Comments (91)

• Sazz
    8 years ago

Good morning, we are thinking of laying this carpet in our living room. What colour or colours would you advise for the walls? It is a south facing, sunny room close to the sea. Our theme is "Scandi seaside".

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello @NicolaGreenwood

It sounds like you have some big projects on your hands, hopefully I
    can lighten the load a little by giving you some good ideas for inside your
    fireplace.

The
    fireplace is a great find, so my first idea would be to tile the inside of your
    fireplace with some patterned tiles to make your log burner stand out and make
    it more of a feature within the room, it would also be very practical with the
    heat produced.

The blue
    tones of the walls with the brick is actually a lovely colour palette, so look
    for tiles that have the colours of the two to really tie the whole scheme
    together. Using Gold and Bronze tones in accessories would really set this room
    alight, so try combining these with the use of natural materials and glass to
    complete the look.

• Related Discussions

Houzz Live Chat - Planning, Fitting & Designing a Kitchen - 3pm Friday

Q

Comments (61)
    A7. Bon Après midi Chloe, I have just recently returned from Southern France and have fallen in love with French rural design, I'm an avid fan of dinning tables for both family and friends to eat and be sociable, if your room is an open kitchen/dinner then embrace the room as one rather than trying to separate them. as for shapes, sizes, and materials clear the intended space mark off the options using either newspaper or masking tape leaving room to walk around don't forget where the chairs will be, this will help you decide how big or small the table can be and how it will fit around your existing furniture as for materials you cant go wrong with a sturdy wooden table with linin and a centre piece. all the best to everyone with their projects and thank you for your questions, until next time Adieu,
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - How to de-clutter, Friday the 14th at 2pm

Q

Comments (59)
    A7 for rd66. Furniture is so bulky and I understand the sentimental value. Unless you want your home to be a museum it might be a case of choosing a few favourite pieces and then letting the rest go. It's hard because there is always a bit of your heritage in each piece but remember every antique piece of furniture carries a story - a bit of history. We all treasure that. You might be able to find a lovely home for some of your grandfather's pieces. For the pieces you don't like or have no value.... you know what I'm going to say.... Some people take photographs of the treasured items, or why not a video? It is a way of keeping the memory and then being able to let go of the piece, whether it's china, glass, furniture or ornaments.
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Tips for dressing your windows, September 4th, 3pm

Q

Comments (81)
    Hiya Jill, thanks for sending those images over. In response to your first question about your bedroom, I can think of a couple of solutions that may work. The first is the same solution as my previous French window answer to @montbray and fit something that moves with the window, either a Pleated or a Venetian which operate under tension and open with a thumb tab rather than a cord. Alternatively, it would look quite nice if a blind, particularly a Roman blind was fitted right to the top of the wall above the window, at the ceiling. This will allow the blind to be ‘dressed’ to form a valance effect above the window when the blind is open, giving full view from, and use of the window and when it is closed, it will give the illusion of the window being taller. In the case of your bathroom blind, you might like to try a waterproof Roller blind made from PVC fabric. Alternatively, Faux wood blinds are a really great idea, as they have all the look of traditional Wooden blinds, but won't warp in wet or steamy conditions. Admittedly, it is a difficult window to dress and there are not a lot of options, but hopefully, these will give you some ideas. Sarah
    ...See More

Live Chat: How to bring personality into your home, December 3rd 12pm

Q

Comments (66)
    They'll never go out of style Tom - NEVER!! Haha! A10) Ohhh I love eclectic style, Maxine, and yes, I mix styles all the time in my own home! I will say, for as easy as it sounds to just throw everything you love into a space, it’s actually one of the hardest looks to do really well – that’s not to discourage you of course because when it all comes together, it’s incredibly satisfying! While it may be tempting to just include everything you like from all different styles together in one space, the resulting feeling will be one of over-stimulation and confusion. So the secret of this seamless integration requires creativity and some self-imposed boundaries. Sticking with a structured colour palette will give the room cohesiveness without making the room flat and uninteresting. Start with a neutral base for your larger pieces, your paint colours and/or your flooring as a means of grounding the space. Pay attention to how pieces relate to one another and how they relate to the room as a whole. One oversized piece is absolutely fine but 3 or 4 will make the room look cluttered and uncomfortable. Despite using mid-century hoop chairs alongside a more traditional chesterfield in my own living room, the backs of the chairs are of similar height to the low-lying sofa back. There is continuity of the eyeline and nothing jars too dramatically. You also want to ensure that when borrowing from different eras, you mix and match throughout the space – having a mid-century console table with art of the same era hanging above it and then a Victorian style fireplace with an ornate mirror in a different part of the room is going to look ‘off’. Take that artwork and hang it above the fireplace instead and perhaps use the more ornate mirror above the console table instead! Hope that helps!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hi @Sazz

With the room being South facing you could comfortably opt
    for a cool colour palette, so picking out the Blues would be an obvious choice
    to fit in with your ‘Scandi Seaside’ theme. I would suggest Blueberry White as
    this is a great colour that would really fit with your location near the Sea
    without being too clichéd. If you don’t want to paint all the walls the same
    colour you could team this with White Mist to complement the overall look.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next we have @loza_hackney

I have a 1940s property that I would love to change the feel
    of. I love the Swedish fresh and light / clean look but don’t want to take out
    the picture rails or remove any of the original doors. Can you make any
    suggestions please?

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hello loza,

Having a
    picture rail within your space is a wonderful feature as this allows you to use
    the natural break to experiment with colour in the room. Additionally having
    the original doors of the property is a beautiful feature to keep.

You could combine
    two tones using a darker colour below the picture rail and a lighter above that
    flows on to the ceiling, giving the illusion of more space. A greyed green such
    as Sea Urchin 3 below with either Sea Urchin 5, or Dusted Moss 4 above would
    look great.

Alternatively,
    you could always add a bold geometric Scandi print wallpaper such as ‘Sanderson
    Zagora’ in Soft Grey to the lower region of the picture rail and paint the
    above in a complimentary paint colour.

Use
    light natural materials for furniture such as Maple or Ash wood and complete
    the Scandi look with geometric textiles in cushions and rugs. Sparsely placed
    accents of orange/coral used in accessories will add vibrancy and to compliment
    the colour of the walls and wood.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next question comes from @hrossgale who sounds like she is in the middle of a very exciting project...

My husband and I are restoring a small monastery- somewhat
    room by room - the den is next on list. I have a hand painted mirror that I
    want to be main piece of artwork and an heirloom crazy quilt. Both are deep,
    rich colours but the fireplace has rather bright yellow/beige toned tiles with
    clear red and green on it. How do I find a paint that does not clash with one
    or the other? One wall is exposed grey stone, floors old pine.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hello @hrossgale

I would recommend using neutral
    paint, just to tone down the interior, and also you won’t have to worry about
    colours clashing together. It will work in harmony with your artwork and
    heirloom quilt. A neutral colour will also complement your old pine floor as
    well as the exposed grey stone. The colour I would recommend for this is Crispy
    Crumble.

I would then recommend getting some additional
    accessories, i.e. vases, candle holders, cushions or curtains in deep rich
    colours of red, green or yellow to match what you have already.

• nina1_ok
    8 years ago
    Hello, I would like to create a luxurious opulent bedroom. It's a north facing room, with a bay window. Dark brown leather bed. Light mocha carpet. I would like to keep the light fittings. I have a purple/ gold curtain which I'm considering putting across the bay or I could just leave it simple with the white wooden blinds. I was thinking of a feature wall behind the bed? I'm having white gloss wardrobes in the adjacent dressing room which leads into a grey ensuite/ wet room. I was considering a white gloss dressing table at the wall opp the bed- do you think this will work- just thinking incase I change my bed/bedside cabinets in the future so keeping it neutral & matching the walk in wardrobes. Your expertise is greatly appreciated again! Many thanks.
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next question is from @JessYates

My new extension has a whole wall of bi-fold
    doors, my lounge is now 22ft x 23ft (I am useless with metric sorry) I have
    used the same colour on all of the walls. The colour is Cotton Breeze from the
    Dulux light reflecting range. This has given a light, airy, spacious look and
    feel to the room. The reflecting paint takes on different hues in different
    parts of the room and with different lighting. I have a dark honey oak, real
    wood floor. For night privacy, I need something for the huge span of bi-fold
    door but I have no idea in terms of colour or type to compliment and enhance
    the room. I don't want to hide the bi-fold in the daytime as it is a fabulous
    feature in the room but I want to avoid being in a goldfish bowl effect when
    the lighting is on at night. Whatever colour or type of window covering I use
    has the potential to make or break my beautiful new space. (My furniture is a
    mix of contemporary and traditional.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hi @JessYates

Bi
    fold doors are a fabulous feature to have within your living room, but I can
    understand your query with regards to the night light issue.

There
    are a couple of options which may suit your dilemma, the first could be an
    option of using sheer roller blinds. They are super sleek and discreet as you
    can roll them up fully giving a modern level privacy, and if you go for a
    neutral colour it won’t interfere with your existing colour scheme, as shown
    below.

Alternatively a translucent white
    panel track blind would work really well. On bright sunny days where you don’t
    want directional light but want to enjoy the views out onto the garden, the
    translucent panels will still allow the outline shapes of colours and shapes
    beyond to be seen. Alternatively they can also be pulled to one side to create
    an attractive vertical and seamless view framing the bi-fold doors. In the
    evening they have a slightly softer and more contemporary aesthetic than a
    roller blind where the vertical line gives an attractive linear break across
    the expanse of the room.

• lexoo2020
    8 years ago
    I need wall decor ideas for my master bedroom.thanks
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next we have @JarekLuczynski who
    has a couple of questions for you Dawn.

Hi, Could you help me please...

1. One of my bedrooms is really small
    (3.7x2.3m). Is there any way to paint a wall/walls or use wallpaper so the room
    will feel bigger?

2. Second question is about my living room (with
    open plan kitchen 4.4x5.4m). I would like to avoid the "traditional"
    way of furniture layout: sofa on one side, tv unit on the other. Where can I
    get some inspiration about the living room without TV unit and TV at all? Thx.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hello @JarekLuczynski

With
    regard to your 1st question; painting the walls and ceiling in the
    same colour to blur the boundaries between both surfaces willow allow your eye
    to travel upwards making the ceiling feel taller. Utilising one colour in the
    space blends all architectural features together so that your eye isn't suddenly drawn to one area. Using Dulux Light and Space paint will also help as
    it reflects up to twice as much light as a standard emulsion wall paint.

Additionally
    hanging mounted mirrors close to the light source will help to bounce light
    around the room to make it feel bigger. Go for a simple blind for the window to
    create simple linear lines within the space. Curtains stop the eye from taking
    in the view outside, so by choosing a blind which is the same colour as your
    walls will give the room a seamless finish.

With
    regard to your 2nd question; don’t be afraid to pull your sofa away
    from the wall, and use a sideboard or console table behind it to create a
    natural break within the two spaces. Having your sofa’s opposite one another
    encourage social moments of communication rather than watching TV. Use your
    fireplace as a focal point rather than the TV so that the space feels balanced
    and visually stimulating. If you do opt for a TV in your lounge, paint the wall
    behind it in a darker colour so that the dark TV silhouette blends in with the
    wall behind, and surround it with plants to really soften the look.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next is from @ViolaMansaur who asks…

Hi this is my first floor. I am trying to create a layout for
    it. It is a large open plan space and I am not sure if this will be ok. Any
    advice? The area is almost 21mx12m. In the entrance I put a console and 2
    chairs, the opposite side at the end there is a fireplace. On the right side a
    piano. I want to paint the walls very light shade of grey with old white
    wainscoting. on left side a TV which I will cover with a hand painting.thank
    you so much

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hi @ViolaMansaur

This looks like a really great layout. It appears as if you have created
    separate, functional spaces which will make this a really stylish and
    functional place to live. It looks lovely and as though you have really thought
    about how people will move from one zone to the next.

As for the colour, grey is a timeless
    colour that happens to be very on trend. Try Grey Steel 3 or Potters Clay 3 as
    these would be perfect shades to use. If you want to introduce an alternative
    colour, you can do this simply through your accessories and soft furnishings.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just a reminder to you all to keep refreshing your screen to see the latest questions and answers from Dulux Amazing Space!

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Next we have @timwearden who says

I have a large room 28' x
    15' and need some help in deciding how best to decorate and furnish it. I am
    looking to downsize in the near future and want this room to appeal to as many
    new buyers as possible.
    What would you suggest?
    It is currently divided into two areas. A gym area and a TV lounge area. I also
    have 2 other large rooms -kitchen and lounge.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hello @timwearden

It sounds like the size alone is a great selling point! Potential
    buyers like to visualise themselves living in a property so depending on the
    other 2 rooms you have it might be a good idea to transform this space into a
    dining/family space as this is what a lot of people strive for in a modern
    home.

Ensure there are homely elements within the room, rather than aiming
    for a show home look. If you keep the walls neutral you could go bolder with
    furniture as you have a blank canvas to play with. Using bold, quirky
    accessories will create a statement and ensure any potential buyer won’t forget
    the great space.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hi @JaneCunningham

If the dining side of the room is dark you could use Dulux Light and
    Space Cotton Breeze as this is a soft light Blue and will help to reflect twice
    as much light around the room. You could then introduce a warmer shade like
    Blissful Blue to the living area as this has sufficient light levels to go a
    few shades warmer. I would suggest you keep the ceilings of both areas white as
    this helps to give a cohesive feeling to both spaces. Complement with accessories
    in Blues, Soft Greys and even a small amount of Muted Green to finish the look.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

And now for our final question of the day from
    @ElaineHobson

I have a second floor north east facing living room with French
    doors and a largish window. It's currently painted dark red to make it cosy
    rather than struggle to make it light. But I'm bored with the room and would
    welcome any new ideas!

• gilkybean42
    8 years ago

No ideas for me on a themed room, perhaps?

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Hello @ElaineHobson

As your living room gets a lot of morning light but no afternoon
    light I would suggest keeping with warm colours to retain the cosy feel.
    Replacing the red with a rich teal colour, such as Teal Touch or Teal Tension,
    would work really well as this colour will create a great backdrop for any previous
    red accessories you may have. If you wanted to update your accessories these
    colours will look stunning with any gold or brass light fittings and mirrors.
    Keep your ceiling and trim white, and look at soft greys or walnut colours for furniture.
    By having lots of oversized broad leaf green plants by the window the colour
    scheme will flow harmoniously within the space.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That’s it for today! We hope you have found it useful and its
    inspired you with your projects. Sorry to those of you who we have not yet had
    a chance to respond to today. We will be asking the Dulux Amazing Space team to
    look through the unanswered questions this week and get back to you. We hope
    you’ve enjoyed today’s Live Chat and thanks to Dawn from Dulux Amazing Space
    for her time.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking part, it’s great to see so many
    of you interested in our new service. As Houzz have said the Dulux Amazing
    Space team and I will cover all of the unanswered question throughout this
    week. For any future design help don’t forget to visit our website.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @Emmathecat1

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in
    responding to you, we are just getting to grips with Houzz so it has taken us a
    little longer that we would have liked to get back to everyone.

Grey is a great choice as it is very on trend at the moment and
    painting the cupboards will give your room a great makeover. I would suggest
    trying Dulux Polished Pebble Satinwood paint for your cupboards as this is a
    gorgeous warm grey that shouldn't be too dark. Combine this with Dulux Vanilla White in a Matt finish on the walls for an elegant and cosy feel.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Michelle Hargreaves

Moving home is always an exciting process and it's great to
    hear you've already got stuck into the decorating! I think the idea of painting the alcoves either side of your fireplace is a really great way to
    instantly add some personality into your space. Celestial Blue 1 is a really
    beautiful rich navy tone that combined with your oak flooring will create a
    lovely warm atmosphere. If you want to create more impact leave your
    walls free from hanging pictures or photos so that the Blue colour can do all the
    talking. Alternatively, to create a softer, more subtle effect incorporate
    floating shelving into your alcoves. This will provide you with more storage
    and also give you the chance to display personal touches, such as ornaments and
    photos, while still allowing the lovely Blue tone to add to the atmosphere of
    your living room.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @janmckx

Allergies are never fun and finding a way to prevent them can
    be difficult. However, have you heard of the Dulux Trade EcoSure Matt paint
    before? It has been created primarily for the trade and commercial market, so
    is often used in healthcare environments, but has been specially formulated to
    have a lower environmental impact than standard Dulux Trade paint range. It
    produces less odour and fumes making it the easiest paint to use for those with
    allergies. The majority of the Dulux paint range is now water-based (rather
    than solvent based) so all produce less fumes making the painting experience
    more pleasant. Be careful when opting
    for ‘Vinyl’ paints though as this will always provide a level of covering that
    makes them less breathable. All Dulux paints strive to be as home friendly as
    is possible, but to find you more about Dulux Trade EcoSure just follow the
    link below.

http://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/products/picker#details/dulux-trade/ecosure-matt

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @mrsmcee74

It's wonderful that you crave more colour in your room. The
    greys, greens and blues are very harmonious colours that will compliment you
    living room wonderfully. Forest Lake 4, Wild Water 2 and Clouded Pearl 3 create
    a calm and tonal look together, whereas combining Kiwi Burst 4, Royal Regatta 2
    and Grey Steel 3 will make your room fresh and bright.

With beautiful windows at either end of your room you could
    choose either a calm or bold scheme. However, if you didn't feel like going for
    a full redecoration project then you could add colour in other simple ways.
    Maybe purchase a statement patterned rug to create a focal point within your
    room, or bring your chosen colours in through accessories and soft furnishings.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @doristhedinnerlady

With Spring/Summer on its way it’s time to liven up your
    living space! With your existing brown leather sofas I would recommend a colour
    palette of cool neutrals, calm greys and a splash of Raspberry! It’s bright,
    daring, fun and will frame your sofas wonderfully! This colour pallet will give
    you a mix of calm, warm and rich tones giving you an eclectic feel.

Quartz Flintz 4 would be a great base colour for the walls in
    the room creating a neutral shade of grey. It will create calm and tranquillity
    in your space. Then add a splash of Moroccan Velvet 1 for richness – it would
    look stunning on the wall behind your log burner / traditional brick fireplace.
    If you wish to up-cycle your wooden furniture you could also use this colour to
    do it with as it blends in well with your dark brown leather sofas. This colour
    will add a masculine feel also, to cater for all tastes. Pink Nevada 1 on the
    contrary is more of a feminine colour and will add warmth to your colour scheme,
    so you could also use this on up-cycled pieces of furniture. It will pick out
    the pink tones from the Moroccan Velvet 1 and add a burst of freshness for the
    summer! The addition of Cappuccino Candy 3 will contrast and compliment the
    Pink Nevada. Pair the colours together and add accents with these, whether it’s
    on furniture, in an alcove, creating colour blocks, stripes or ombre paint
    effects, these hues will really brighten your room.

With a south facing room and two windows you have plenty of
    natural light in your room therefore choosing a Flat Matt paint finish for your
    walls will give you a contemporary feel which will contrast nicely with your
    traditional fireplace. To up-cycle your existing furniture go for a Satinwood
    finish to get the perfect finish! Finish off your scheme by adding your unusual
    bits and pieces to really give you the eclectic mix and feel!

Hope you enjoy your new amazing space Doris!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Khelouda Khelouda

The best way to create a unisex room is to choose gender
    neutral coloured walls as a base. A suggestion
    of wall colour would be to use a warm neutral such as Dulux Almost Oyster or Dulux
    Just Walnut. Alternatively, you could have a simple patterned wallpaper in a
    unisex Duck Egg Blue tone. This way the room won’t look like two conflicting
    areas. You can bring pops of colour into each side of the room through
    accessories such as cushions and throws. But choose colours that are complementary
    to one another on the colour wheel - so perhaps team Blue with Orange or Pink with
    Green, this way they can both put their own stamp on their space, and add their
    favourite colours into their half of the room.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @ligija0507

It sounds as though you would like a completely new look for
    your flat which is great. If you are looking for some inspiration Houzz is
    obviously a great place to start. If however you are seeking guidance that is
    more specific to your space we can help, so just let us know any specific questions
    you have. Alternatively through our on-line design service you can speak to
    your very own Amazing Space Designer who will narrow down the choices for you
    and give you some brilliant new ideas. Whatever room you’re thinking of
    updating you can upload a project and we will find you the perfect designer to
    create a personal scheme for you.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @or3nick

The best way to begin choosing colours for your space is to
    start with something that inspires you. Whether it’s an existing piece of
    furniture, a travel experience or a favourite colour. So you could start with
    one of the images in your Houzz Ideabooks, as this will get your ideas flowing.
    Then you need to decide on how you want your space to feel. Brighter more
    vibrant colours will make the space look happy and uplifting, whereas lighter
    more muted colours will feel more relaxing and calm. You could use the Dulux
    Visualizer app as this has a facility to pick colours from a photograph (see
    the link below).

When you are deciding on the colour see how it looks with your
    existing furniture and flooring as you want something that compliments what you
    already have. Narrow it down to your favourites and try out some testers, live
    with them in your space painted on a large piece of card to see how they look
    at different times of day, as the light in your space will affect the look of
    the colour. Once you’re happy with the colour it’s time to get it on the walls
    and transform your space.

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/articles/the-dulux-visualizer-app

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Carol Campbell

A sophisticated palette is perfectly in keeping with the
    classic style of your Victorian Home. As you are keen to keep the same Gardenia
    colour running throughout your house I would suggest a stylish soft green like
    Dulux Paper Mint. This will work well with your maple solid wood flooring as
    well as keeping the space light and fresh.

Your current bannister makes a strong statement whilst
    accentuating its beautiful features, if you would like a softer look you could
    introduce a lighter charcoal grey tone with Dulux Urban Obsession in a
    Satinwood finish for a sleek timeless look.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @colette106

It sounds like you are open to making a statement when it
    comes to your interiors, so why not try a rich blue feature wall to contrast
    your blood red sofa and perfectly compliment the Mocha Colour in the rest of
    your room. DH Oxford Blue from our Dulux Heritage collection would work
    perfectly to create a wow factor on a feature wall.

The Heritage range, evolved from painstaking research in to
    authentic historical pigments, is a beautiful range of colours which will
    produce stunning results in any property. From delicate blues, influenced by
    natural pigments, to rich golds derived from Italian marble, these colours
    provide definition and character. Follow the link below to explore this
    colour range further.

http://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/colours/collections/heritage

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Penny Lane-Smith

What a beautiful home you have! As a nod to the heritage of
    your property I would recommend using a paint from our Heritage collection. The
    Heritage range, evolved from painstaking research in to authentic historical
    pigments, is a beautiful range of colours which will produce stunning results
    in any property. From delicate blues, influenced by natural pigments, to rich
    golds derived from Italian marble, these colours provide definition and
    character.

I would suggest DH Salmon as this is lovely warm colour that
    will work well in your traditional space.
    Powder Colour is the perfect neutral to compliment the darker Salmon.
    Bring in your favourite red hues through accessories and soft furnishings to
    finish the look.

If you would like to go for a dog friendly paint, choose to
    get your colour mixed in an Endurance finish. Dulux Endurance is an
    exceptionally tough paint. Its Diamond Tough formulation is 20x tougher than
    standard Dulux Matt, and washable without the colour fading, so your home stays
    looking great for longer.

Follow the link below to explore the Dulux Heritage range
    further.

http://www.duluxtradepaintexpert.co.uk/colours/collections/heritage

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @Petrina Wolff

We're not sure what US regulations are, as we are a UK based
    company. In the UK there needs to be a 300mm cabinet (minimum) either side of
    your cooker. You will also need to consider that you may need to have your gas
    and/or electric redirected. Also, in closing up your large window you should
    first consider how this will affect the natural lighting in your space, as
    natural lighting has a dramatic effect on the look and feel of your kitchen. If
    your space has no other windows, you might consider another direction. Most
    kitchen companies will come and survey your space before any fittings are made.
    A lot of companies will also design the layout of your kitchen for free.

Good
    luck and let us know how you get on!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @gilkybean42

It sounds like you have a fun scheme in mind! In order to
    create a compromise with the two contrasting themes I would suggest that you
    opt for a neutral base on all your walls and introduce pops of colour to add in
    some fun. Try Dulux Banana Dream 2 in the recesses of your window (see photo)
    as well as using colour on your doors. You could even add this to your picture
    rail, to give a flash of colour around the top of your room. Balance this with
    Vanilla Mist 4 on the rest of the walls.

Instead of a mural, why don’t you consider adding some black framed
    prints to highlight your interests? Then you could display precious Lego models
    and a combination of transport items which will look great displayed on some floating
    shelves, giving you some extra storage too. This will ensure the whole room has
    a ‘novelty theme’ but isn't too overpowering for your female guests.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @ Sio McN

Although wooden flooring would look lovely with your new
    bathroom scheme I would suggest it is probably wise to avoid in such a humid environment.
    Have you thought about purchasing specialist bathroom wooden flooring? This way
    you can still get the look you desire whilst ensuring you avoid damage. Alternatively
    there is a large variety of vinyl and ceramic tiles available in a wood finish –
    just ensure you go for a good quality product to ensure it looks as close to
    the real thing as possible.

Let us know how you get on!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @tellytelly

Those white bricks that are featured in your wall look
    absolutely beautiful, so I would suggest to pick colours to paint your exterior
    woodwork to complement them. For a real contemporary look, I would choose a
    mid-grey tone to paint over your woodwork (so everything that has the green hue
    at the moment). Dulux Weathershield Exterior Quickdry Satin in Gallant Grey
    will work perfectly and is ideal for exterior surfaces. Alternatively, if you
    are going for a warmer look I would go with the same paint in Celtic Cream which
    is a warm mid beige tone.

We'd love to see some photos when its finished.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Lisa Halverson-fry

Greys and purples look great together, so it seems like you
    already have a good base to start with. To lighten the room I would suggest
    keeping all of the walls in the same grey tone and using the purple as a pop of
    colour through the accessories. For a lighter look try Dulux Rock Salt on all
    of your walls. This is a lovely light grey that will make your room feel more
    relaxing and spacious.

Choose the paint in a soft sheen finish to reflect light even
    further around the room. This new colour will work perfectly with your existing
    furniture and help your rug to stand out.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @annemorant

Paint is a simple and effective way to transform your space.
    Dulux satinwood is perfect for painting over woodwork. Satinwood gives a more
    contemporary feel and a cool neutral like Dulux’s White Cotton is a great
    choice and will work well with any existing colour palette.

We’d love to see some ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos once you completed
    it!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello again @nina1_ok

What a beautiful space you have! To create a luxurious
    opulent atmosphere I would definitely suggest adding the curtains. Have you
    thought about placing them on the outer edge of the bay window though, and
    create a cosy corner with perhaps a luxurious buttoned Ottoman or bedroom chair
    by the window? It could become a ‘hidden’ space to relax and enjoy.

It would be great to paint the wall behind the bed in a deep
    grey such as Dulux Night Jewels 3, this will give you the
    feature element and still keep it neutral so it matches with your curtains and new
    white wardrobes. I would definitely suggest adding a matching white dressing
    table if you can.

Hope that helps!

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hi @lexoo2020

Have you thought about using paint to create some feature
    elements on your wall? This way you can introduce your favourite colours in the
    room while creating some beautiful décor. You can paint a hexagon pattern on
    one of your walls as shown in the video below; just replace the colours with
    the ones you like and that will complement your room’s colour scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSLT9XYkdO4

Alternatively, how about making a collage of your favourite
    pictures in frames of various sizes and colours? This way you can include all
    your favourite moments and people in your room while still styling your space.
    The image below can give you an idea of how to mix and match to create the
    perfect look!

If you would like some extra storage, why don’t you try some
    floating shelves? You can decorate them with your favourite accessories, and by
    adding a pop of colour on the edge, as the picture shows below, you create
    interest in your room in a subtle way.

• PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago

Hello @Kathryn Stephens

Your house has a great shape to it so there are a few options you have. If you wanted to give it a
    total contemporary makeover you could look at adding some wood cladding and
    repaint the render, a bit like this great example from @Proctor Watts Cole Rutter

Alternatively, if you simply wanted to repaint it then you could opt for a contemporary colour from the Dulux Weathershield range like Concrete Grey, or opt for a more traditional colour such as Green Ivy from the same range. Both would provide an interesting contrast to the white of the windows. Then add in some interesting planters, so perhaps box hedging across the front, and consider also painting the wall at the front of the drive.

We'd love to see the finished photo's when you've completed it.

• Alison Heppell
    7 years ago
    I find this new format very difficult to reply to
  • PRO
    Dulux Amazing Space
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi @Nicola
    Greenwood
    , thanks for coming back to us about the tiles for your
    fireplace. We asked one of our Dulux Design Experts, Hannah to research into
    this for you. Hannah has found you some beautiful patterned tiles that she
    feels would work wonderfully in your scheme. These tiles all have a really
    modern feel and would co-ordinate seamlessly with your existing wall colour, or
    you can simply use them as inspiration for a new look.

When choosing tiles,
    make sure they are suitable to go in a fireplace environment. When looking at
    colour and pattern, we would recommend that you pick them with a limited colour
    palette on them of up to 3 colours, making it easy to update the scheme again
    in the future, whenever the mood takes you!

We have included some
    suggestions for you below:

http://www.firedearth.com

https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk

When choosing tiles, make sure they are suitable to go in a fireplace environment. We would suggest tiling the inside of your fireplace in a patterned tile
    and either keeping your existing terracotta tile hearth or choose a dark marble
    contrast to really make your fire place pop!

• vespin
    7 years ago
    @ penny lane smith... We live in a 16th c cottage which is dark, previously painted white but ended up very dull. We got inspiration from watching 'Indian Summers' and went for deep contrast of a deep pink (Dulux origin summer Coulis) with a contrasting (dulux origin birds egg) .. Similar to your scheme for hallway, and de- cluttered the space. Strange the deep colours make the furniture light up and the room feels more cosy. Suggest you de- clutter your space and go for lighter furniture .. You can paint what you have with chalk based paint and wax/ light varnish.

We are yet to change the lights but hopefully you get the idea!
  • L M
    6 years ago

We have just finish decorating our bedroom, painted in Dulux Heritage Potter Pink/marble white paintwork. Its a period house with a large bay window which we have ordered shutters for ( white also). Carpet we have chosen is a soft pewter colour. We previous had Marharani dark furniture but would like a change, I still feel dark would suit the room better but maybe a painted furniture ? just not sure on colour. Some suggestion on soft furnishing would be helpful too. Carpet not down in this pic.

• Dawn Laverty
    4 years ago

I am about to have a new kitchen fitted with Matt white top units and navy blue base units.
    Im looking at tranquil dawn for between the base and wall units, and am looking for suggestions for a complimentary colour for a wall which has no units on it at all.
    I don’t want anything too dark.
    Thank you.

• E D
    4 years ago

Hello Dawn

Can I suggest you start a new thread, preferably with photos of your space(s)?

People here can then advise you better.

This is a three year old thread.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.