mike_j8

Semi-detached rear extension, how to get drawings/design done?

Mike F
8 years ago

TLDR: We want to find someone in Surrey/SW London who can produce some drawings for us, been told that a full architect service may be overkill.

We are in a 3 bed semi-detatched. On the attached image the current ground floor is the layout on the RIGHT. It's a fairly standard lounge, dining room, small kitchen, small hallway.

We want to extend at the rear (layout on the LEFT). Essentially a 5m 'box' on the rear of the house, knocked through to the current dining room to give a large L-shaped room. We also want to convert the loft but will not be able to afford to build this straight away, but would like the drawings all done at once so that any plumbing changes can be taken into account. Note the rear of the house currently has a sort of 'out building' that houses the boiler which I suspect we will want/need to move.

I'm no designer, but the LEFT layout approximate the sort of thing we want.

It adds a study, utility room, and the open plan kitchen/living area. We will need some sort of roof light. Ideally we'd like to squeeze in a downstairs toilet and might be able to use the the space under the stairs/existing side door.

I'd like to work with a designer/architect/technician to make sure we are using the space effectively and the design will be economical to build. Lots of the building companies I see advertising offer 'full service'. Instinctively I'd like to get some drawings done then get some quotes from builders.

Can anyone advise either: businesses/individuals that cover Surrey/SW London or, things I should be looking for when selecting an architect/designer.

Obviously happy for any suggestions on the design we are going for.

Many thanks!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.