fionacampion

To keep fireplace or replace it with a range cooker and mantel.

fionacampion
8 years ago

Hi there I have a largish space that is split into two areas by a partial wall and breakfast bar - on one side is a dining area with fireplace which is closest to the hall door and on the other is the kitchen. On the other side of the kitchen is a utility room that we plan to knock through to to give us one big space with patio doors out to the garden.

We would then effectively have 3 zones - the first one being the dining space with fireplace, the kitchen in the middle, then another living space out to the garden. As a result, we are considering moving the kitchen into the dining area and putting a range cooker with mantel in to replace the fireplace. The rest of the space would then be made into a dining/living area. I think this makes most sense from a flow point of view but just wondering what people's views are on removing the fireplace?

I would love to keep it as think it is an unusual feature in the room (although not in it's current state as it was modernised by it's previous owners so I would have to get it back to it's Victorian glory) but I don't think it is practical. I'm not a fan of ripping out original features and would keep them (or restore them) where I could but maybe in this case, it makes sense?

Am struggling with the decision, would love your views. Will try and put photos up at some point if I can.

Thanks very much for your help.

Fiona

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.