danpollard

Open plan kitchen in 3-storey townhouse

danpollard
8 years ago

I admit it - I'm stumped. We wanted to open up the majority of the lower floor of our house to become a light airy kitchen diner. All well and good until I learnt about the complications of UK fire regulations in a 3 storey house. As I understand it, I need either a separate exit route (i.e. kitchen not open to the stairs) or sprinklers plus a door between first and second floor (I really don't want a door to the stairwell).

Clearly you guys are great at coming up with ideas - I've got two questions. Firstly (and most unlikely), is there any ingenious work-around to these regulations that would enable us to do what we want. Secondly, if we do have to box off the stairwell, how would you lay out the kitchen?

We really fancy an island, to integrate guests to the cooking/preparing area. This could probably go in either direction, but we like a plan that enables me to look at the garden whilst preparing food. We're definitely putting in a window on the right hand wall to aid the light situation, though can be flexible on where.

Current layout below, plus a very rough idea that I've mocked up quickly. I've also considered the island 90 degrees rotated as well, so we could look out at the garden as things are prepared.

You can probably gauge size based on the units, but the long vertical wall is 5.3m, and the short horizontal one 2.5m.

Any advice gratefully received!!

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.